Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Jay42

macrumors 65816
Jul 14, 2005
That's not very convincing to me at all. Shot with a video phone?? Pretty steady hand he's got there. How hard would it be to put up that background and shrink a video to the size of the iPod screen. If he were holding it or something and it was moving, maybe that would be a little more believable. Obviously apple wouldn't announce something like this without announcing it all together. Thats not even good fake.

mad jew

Moderator emeritus
Apr 3, 2004
Adelaide, Australia
I'm guessing that new video playback features will warrant a form factor change, even if it's only slight. Especially since they continue to update the 4G but haven't made any major changes since introduction.

supergod

macrumors 6502
Jul 14, 2004
Toronto
Does anyone else notice that there is a constant change in the background color/lighting of this video. Now, I don't really know the quality of a video phone, whether or not this is common, but it is the explanation for how they faked it.

This has been done in stop motion. The camera must have been on a tripod because the shot is very smooth (too smooth to be a hand held camera which would be much shakier methinks). All the person did is load up individual frames from an iPod ad and then cycle through them one by one while filming the frames. Video phones record sound too: this clip noticeably does not have sound present. He probably should have dubbed in some background noise, it would have made the effect very realistic and it probably would have fooled me... for a second.

He just says its a camera phone to make it seem much more believable: very smart of him I must say. People see camera phone and they think: hey, that's possible. He just snuck it out for a few seconds and it explains the whole question and... VIDEO IPOD YAY! But fake. Definitely fake. OBVIOUSLY fake.

MacHarne

macrumors 6502
Mar 3, 2005
Virginia, U.S.A.
For being a "jerky" video, that is certainly a very steady shot. What kind of conferences do people in the clothing industry attend, especially the kinds of conferences that allow access to unreleased electronics?

paulbot

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 9, 2005
There was a GAP conference this week, are they something to do with Apple now?

DarkNetworks

macrumors 68000
Apr 12, 2005
Hm...pretty convincing but i don't think it's true... :(
I don't think video iPods will be released any time this year or whatsoever, i think they'll update their iPod Mini's into colour screen and probally higher storage for iPod Shuffles...

michaelrjohnson

macrumors 68020
Aug 9, 2000
supergod said:
This has been done in stop motion. The camera must have been on a tripod because the shot is very smooth (too smooth to be a hand held camera which would be much shakier methinks)
Exactly. There is no way this is from a mobile phone (sans tripod), and nobody gets access to future Apple products (other than an elite few), especially not at a "clothing convention".

Sorry, not gonna buy it.

The_Man

macrumors 6502
Jun 10, 2005
I dont know, the "camera phone" is pretty steady, too steady. Also, don't you think that Apple would check for all video/camera phones before they were allowed to see this top secret product.
The person said that there were a bunch of people taking photos, but I doubt apple would let anyone take photos of this. Not to mention this guy in the clothing business in a Apple meeting.

zelmo

macrumors 603
Jul 3, 2004
Mac since 7.5
Nice try, but that is fake fake fake. Holding a camera phone against a bag, yet the image stays rock solid. Conveniently dark so the PSing isn't so apparent. No sound at all. And most damning, it is still posted on his .Mac site, not shut down by Apple.

zelmo

macrumors 603
Jul 3, 2004
Mac since 7.5
The_Man said:
I dont know, the "camera phone" is pretty steady, too steady. Also, don't you think that Apple would check for all video/camera phones before they were allowed to see this top secret product.
The person said that there were a bunch of people taking photos, but I doubt apple would let anyone take photos of this. Not to mention this guy in the clothing business in a Apple meeting.

Where are all those photos that other people were taking? None of 'em leaked? :rolleyes:

Lacero

macrumors 604
Jan 20, 2005
Could be possibly true. Playing short music videos on an iPod makes more sense than trying to play full length movies.

Music videos could come bundled with iTMS song purchases free of charge. A great way to advertise music. Companies like MTV and VH1 probably don't see the writing on the wall for themselves.

Mac_Freak

macrumors 6502a
Apr 22, 2005
Yeap, that is a nice fake. Stop Motion was the first thing that came to my head too. I used to play with it with Logitec web cam :D

We have give him some points for effort though.

Even though it was fake, video looked pretty nice on an iPOd screen.

tobefirst ⚽️

macrumors 601
Jan 24, 2005
St. Louis, MO
Lacero said:
Could be possibly true. Playing short music videos on an iPod makes more sense than trying to play full length movies.

Music videos could come bundled with iTMS song purchases free of charge. A great way to advertise music. Companies like MTV and VH1 probably don't see the writing on the wall for themselves.

As if MTV or VH1 actually played videos to begin with. :)

JDOG_

macrumors 6502a
Nov 19, 2003
Oakland
It's a good fake, but yes I agree that there are too many signs that scream out "No way!" and the backstory is classic hoax material.

I do enjoy a good hoax though, this is cream of the crop. (no shakey digicam picture, fake packaging or obvious PhotoShop work)

rainman::|:|

macrumors 603
Feb 2, 2002
iowa
I think the color/light changing was supposed to be the camera phone, reacting to the flash from other cameras. but i think the whole thing is fake, his .mac name is "newbie99". come on.

and the image on the iPod does look a tiny, tiny bit misaligned...

rockthecasbah

macrumors 68020
Apr 12, 2005
Moorestown, NJ
it has hoax written all over it, the ever so steady camera, still iPod, and even the menu on the iPod. If you look closely it says "video" instead of "videos"...surely if it was real Apple would realize everything except video was plural... ;)

Pretty good job editing that thing, i must admit. To the average joe it may be pretty believable.

iMeowbot

macrumors G3
Aug 30, 2003
Don Cherry said:
What about Linux?
Will somebody pleasethink of the Linux!!@!

The hoax is supposedly an Apple presentation at an, um, fashion show. Because fashion shows are where all the electronics manufacturers introduce new hardware. Running random operating systems they downloaded off the internet. ;)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.