Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Xadiant

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 28, 2012
Hello, I will use this thread to request answers to some questions I have in the beginning stages of learning XCode.

My Project:
I have been tasked with creating an iOS app for my Academly classes at my school. Essentially it is a yearbook app that will showcase images/audio/video created by all the students in our program.

My Experience:
I have a moderate amount of experience in programming and a limited amount of programming experience in C++. Basically as it relates to working in XCode I can create simple buttons and such in XCode and edit properties of objects. I also am relatively good at web-development (PHP, Javascript, etc)

----------

First Question:

I want to load images into the app from the web. Basically I have a website that is driven by a mysql database that holds data for any image including it's link, title, description, author....

Not only do I want to load the images but I want the image to be saved to the Iphone/Ipad so that you can continue viewing it offline after you have already viewed it once online.

Is there a method/framework already developed to do this?

xStep

macrumors 68020
Jan 28, 2003
Less lost in L.A.
Trying to create a generic thread for future questions is a mistake. Questions should have a meaningful title relevant to the question. That typically means a new thread per question. Also, be smart and do some research and searching first before starting a new question. Often the answer is closer at hand than you might imagine.

Xadiant

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 28, 2012
Ok, thank you. I just thought it would be a good idea to not make a new thread per question for once. I have also done all the research for my particular question... my problem is I do not know how to word the question in a good short keyword phrase that I can search with... so I needed to use many words in this case.

chown33

Staff member
Aug 9, 2009
A sea of green
Is your project an assignment, for which you will receive a grade? If not, then you would be far better off simple creating a website with all the content on it, and make it accessible using a plain ordinary browser.

Why do I suggest this? Because all the content is already on the web-server. The app is doing nothing but caching content locally, which a web browser already does. So other than caching content, what is your app doing?

You should also think about this critical aspect: distribution.

If you intend for others to use your app, you must join the paid Developer program, and have your app accepted into the App Store. Since the described app is nothing more than a specialized web-browser with cache, it's unlikely to be accepted. So then how would you plan to distribute your app if it's not accepted in the App Store?

You also haven't said anything about how much time you have to complete this task. Since you don't know Objective-C or the Cocoa Touch frameworks, you have a lot of learning to do just to get the fundamentals in place.

Web pages and web-apps don't need Apple's approval, aren't distributed in the App Store, and don't need a paid Developer membership to produce. There are features in JavaScript for storing content locally, and you can also save a URL as an app-like icon on the iPhone's home screens. You should at least check those out, and consider distribution options, before starting to develop anything.

Xadiant

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 28, 2012
Thank you for the insight. Here is some more info for my situation:

I am in a High School program called the Academy of Digital Arts and Media ... we are on our 4th and final year. This project is the entire class's final captstone project. But it means more to us than a grade. We chose to make a native app for two reasons: To gain valuable programming experience in making an app and to take full advantage of the "I" type device's processing power to make beautiful transitions and to have no boundaries on the look and feel of the app. The website already acts as the web-portion... there is little else to create on that. This app will be a great presentation tool for the Academy on past when we are all graduated.

We have 1 year to make this and pretty good resources. Our teacher has registered as a developer and I have access to that account... we will be releasing the app on the app store for free. We also have the entire class focused on this project and I have taken control of the programing team.... so I am trying to get things moving as fast as possible. I also do have limited experience with C++ which feels nearly the same as objective C.

What I have mentioned about the app is merely the beggining. After the basis is done it will server many more functions then just echoing the website. But I am focused on the basics for now.

chown33

Staff member
Aug 9, 2009
A sea of green
I also do have limited experience with C++ which feels nearly the same as objective C.

I think you're underestimating the difference, by quite a lot. And it's not just the basic language, it's the whole process of learning the Cocoa Touch framework, Xcode, designing with xibs or Storyboard, etc.

Of course, it's typical for programmers with limited experience to underestimate things by quite a lot. I strongly recommend that you at least go completely through one book or tutorial on iOS programming. If you've never written a complete app before, you're just guessing how long it will take.

If you want to make it a real-world experience, estimate how long it will take you to go through that learning process, then actually measure how long it takes, and compare the two at the end. There's nothing like cold hard facts to calibrate your estimating skills.

In the process of going through a complete book or tutorial, you should also learn enough to answer your First Question of how to get resources from web servers and store them locally, how to present those in a webview, etc. So the short answer to your question is, "Yes, there are". I could tell you what they are, but if you don't already know Objective-C and the relevant frameworks, you have no basis for understanding what I'd tell you. You have to start with the basics and work up from there.

I also remind you that there's no guarantee the completed app will be accepted to the App Store. It doesn't matter if it's free or not. Price is irrelevant. If Apple considers your app to be little more than a web-site, they can reject it and you will have little to no recourse. There are no free passes onto the app store.

dejo

Moderator emeritus
Sep 2, 2004
The Centennial State
Not only do I want to load the images but I want the image to be saved to the Iphone/Ipad so that you can continue viewing it offline after you have already viewed it once online.

Is there a method/framework already developed to do this?

I use SDWebImage for this kind of functionality. Images need to be accessible via URL.

srgcolumbia

macrumors newbie
Aug 29, 2012
Even newer than you

Question: where to start.
Is it possible to dive straight in to xcode, with no prior programing experience?
if not then, any suggestion best/easiest programing code to learn first?
Any suggestion on first couple of steps to take towards learning xcode?
Thanks

robbieduncan

Moderator emeritus
Jul 24, 2002
Harrogate
Question: where to start.
Is it possible to dive straight in to xcode, with no prior programing experience?
if not then, any suggestion best/easiest programing code to learn first?
Any suggestion on first couple of steps to take towards learning xcode?
Thanks

No, not really. In fact it's probably worth learning that XCode is not a programming language, rather an IDE and learning XCode is not the same as learning a programming language or the frameworks used (learning XCode is like learning to use Microsoft Word: this does not make you proficient in English). To make native applications you need to learn Objective-C. This is not the same as C++. You should probably have a basic knowledge of C first. Then you will need some general programming skills: program design, algorithms, data-structures, how to break a big problem down into a series of smaller problems, debugging, how to read and search the documentation. Finally you can think about building your first small app then build towards your goal.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.