PDA

View Full Version : Final Draft Writer app finally out

PDFierro
Aug 28, 2012, 10:43 PM
I'm not sure how many screenwriters are on here, but Final Draft finally released their Writer app.

It took a couple years, but at least it's out now. It's a relief to know that when I get an iPad (probably the Mini) soon, an app I would frequently use would be available from day one.

This is also another step for the iPad, we've seen other cases where developers choose the iPad because it is the best device for the job.

Layth
Aug 29, 2012, 01:28 AM
I got an email earlier for this and couldn't believe it, I downloaded it right away. I loaded some scripts on it and scripts look perfect on it and it doesn't choke with longer scripts. Positive first impressions. We'll see how I feel about it a month from now and how much writing I do on it vs my laptop.

omni
Aug 29, 2012, 11:10 AM
Can it import existing Final Draft scripts?

One of the reviews says no but that seems impossible to believe

Layth
Sep 1, 2012, 01:52 AM
It imports/exports FDX files perfectly. I believe it's not compatible with FDR (old Final Draft file type) files. What it lacks is automatic Dropbox sync.

PDFierro
Sep 2, 2012, 09:04 PM
I got an email earlier for this and couldn't believe it, I downloaded it right away. I loaded some scripts on it and scripts look perfect on it and it doesn't choke with longer scripts. Positive first impressions. We'll see how I feel about it a month from now and how much writing I do on it vs my laptop.

I found out about it through e-mail as well, and was really shocked. I knew it was coming this year, but didn't expect it anytime soon. I hear Scrivener is coming out with an app as well.

Do let me know how you are liking the app as time goes on. I have heard nothing but good things about it, at least for what it offers in version 1. Looking forward to being able to use the app from day one when I get my iPad.

PDFierro
Nov 16, 2012, 12:32 PM
Has anyone been using this? It exports to PDF now, that was one big feature it was missing. I'm imagining an iPad mini being perfect for reading/editing scripts.

Layth
Nov 16, 2012, 10:25 PM
I've been surprised by how much I've been using this, sometimes even with my computer next to me. I'm glad they added PDF export but I'm still waiting for automatic Dropbox sync. I also find myself wishing that I can view my scripts in Index Card view.

PDFierro
Nov 17, 2012, 05:47 PM
I've been surprised by how much I've been using this, sometimes even with my computer next to me. I'm glad they added PDF export but I'm still waiting for automatic Dropbox sync. I also find myself wishing that I can view my scripts in Index Card view.

Cool. The UI definitely looks appealing, so I can see why you find yourself using the app more than the desktop FD.