Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mnpmac

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 1, 2009
My iPad 3g screen stopped working just like that one fine day. For many days it could not even be recognized by iTunes and hard reset/DFU did not work. I took it to Apple store and they said it was dead and gave me the option to recycle it.

Fast forward 3 weeks and I decided to try plugging it back into my MBP. Like coming out of coma, the iPad got recognized by iTunes but could not proceed because of locked screen. So, finally I got into DFU, downloaded and updated the OS, with the screen being still blank.

I will take it to the Apple store tomorrow to show that it still has some signs of life.

I have been researching online and I think I am ready to replace the screen.
But I dont know what exactly to replace: The front panel Assembly including the digitizer OR the LCD itself (or both?)

Does anyone know or have experienced this?

Thanks!

PS:
Since my kids use this (as I already have the iPad 3), I need to either fix this quickly or seriously consider getting the nexus 7 (I will get the iPad Mini, but that I dont want to give it to them :))

Last edited:

mnpmac

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 1, 2009
Resolved!

Update:

After much research online, I found out that the issue I was having was that that the backlight was not working which required that the LCD be replaced.
Cost of LCD part varies between $60-$100 and can take a couple of hours to do it right.
I found a place locally who did it for $120 including parts and labor.

And it works fine now.

Hope this helps someone.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.