PDA

View Full Version : Oh boy you didnt just spill a glass of red wine [questions]

sillyrabbitt
Aug 30, 2012, 08:47 AM
hi all:

so yes a little red wine toasted my mba 2011 version. it does boot sometime and for a little bit of time. i already bought a new one on its way to me today [ouch there goes my food money or red wine money for that matter ;) ]

I have a few questions and if anyone could help it would be greatly appreciated

1- When I migrate over the time machine backup to the new mba do i turn on fire-vault first? or do i migrate over and then turn on firevault?

2- what is a MBA worth that on the outside is MINT but the inside has damage?

3- if it is worth it to sell how can i erase the SSD thats on my mba and can one fully erase everything securely? or is it better to remove the drive and destroy it?

thank you for helping!

falterego
Aug 30, 2012, 11:59 AM
Put my opinions in line.

hi all:

so yes a little red wine toasted my mba 2011 version. it does boot sometime and for a little bit of time. i already bought a new one on its way to me today [ouch there goes my food money or red wine money for that matter ;) ]

I have a few questions and if anyone could help it would be greatly appreciated

1- When I migrate over the time machine backup to the new mba do i turn on fire-vault first? or do i migrate over and then turn on firevault? I would migrate data first and then turn on filevault. It should work either way, but the copy should be faster without encryption happening on the fly.

2- what is a MBA worth that on the outside is MINT but the inside has damage? To me it wouldn't be worth anything. Without taking it apart there's no telling what components have damage and what can be salvaged for parts. You could put up an honest auction on eBay and probably get a hundred bucks or so for it.

3- if it is worth it to sell how can i erase the SSD thats on my mba and can one fully erase everything securely? or is it better to remove the drive and destroy it? If you can boot to the recovery partition, or boot it in target disk mode, you can try doing a disk wipe in disk utility. If that completes without the computer crashing or shutting off you should be good. Otherwise I think the best solution is a hammer, or if available a shotgun is always fun.

thank you for helping!

polotska
Aug 30, 2012, 12:01 PM
Yeah, likely not worth much at this point. You could conceivably get more if you parted it out, but that might not be worth the trouble (especially if you donít have the tools to dismantle it).

sillyrabbitt
Aug 30, 2012, 12:20 PM
Put my opinions in line.

THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU!

Yeah, likely not worth much at this point. You could conceivably get more if you parted it out, but that might not be worth the trouble (especially if you donít have the tools to dismantle it).

THANKS as well!

sillyrabbitt
Aug 30, 2012, 02:36 PM
i got the new mba 11" today and it was almost too easy to move from the busted mba to the new one. seriously it took 15-20 minutes without one hiccup. except the loss of money!

stchman
Aug 30, 2012, 05:12 PM
i got the new mba 11" today and it was almost too easy to move from the busted mba to the new one. seriously it took 15-20 minutes without one hiccup. except the loss of money!

If your old MBA would barely boot, how did you get all of your data off it?

Tenashus1
Aug 30, 2012, 05:57 PM
What wine were you drinking so I know to stay away? :)

sillyrabbitt
Aug 30, 2012, 06:21 PM
If your old MBA would barely boot, how did you get all of your data off it?

Crazy thing i havent used time machine for 7 months but yesterday morning the mba didnt boot on first try for some reason so i decided after it did boot to do a backup [crazy!] and then that night boom wine spill! so i have all my data on a backup time machine HD.

What wine were you drinking so I know to stay away? :)

cheap a__! $2 buck chuck from trader joes. actually new name $1200 buck chuck!

stchman
Aug 30, 2012, 06:50 PM
You should get a keyboard cover for your new MBA.

sillyrabbitt
Aug 30, 2012, 07:02 PM
You should get a keyboard cover for your new MBA.

do they make something that works?

i actually bought a accidental damage warranty instead of apple care this time around. it was 175 from squaretrade. i think its better to have i wish i had it then it would have been replaced.

stchman
Aug 30, 2012, 07:17 PM

i actually bought a accidental damage warranty instead of apple care this time around. it was 175 from squaretrade. i think its better to have i wish i had it then it would have been replaced.

Yes, I bought a clear TPU keyboard cover. The cover fits amazingly well right out of the box and does not hinder typing too much. After a few days the cover conforms to the keyboard improving typing.

I considered AppleCare, but after discovering they didn't cover drops and spills, I found no reason to purchase it.

If you get a KB cover just make sure to get a TPU cover as the silicon covers are much thicker and feel a lot worse.

sillyrabbitt
Aug 30, 2012, 07:56 PM
Yes, I bought a clear TPU keyboard cover. The cover fits amazingly well right out of the box and does not hinder typing too much. After a few days the cover conforms to the keyboard improving typing.

I considered AppleCare, but after discovering they didn't cover drops and spills, I found no reason to purchase it.

If you get a KB cover just make sure to get a TPU cover as the silicon covers are much thicker and feel a lot worse.

thanks for the information. i will check it out!

FuNGi
Aug 31, 2012, 01:25 PM
I spilt a beer on my 2010 13" MBA a couple weeks ago and it still works thankfully. I powered it off immediately (force quit), shook the sh#t out of it, and put a blow drier over it for 2 hours. The #9 key took 2 days to be work again but now it works perfectly. I opened it up and checked out the internals too, gave it a few delicate wipes etc.

Anyway, I checked out the parts supplied from ifixit.com and I'd say your old machine may still be salvageable...but you'd need to know which parts are broken. Logic board? $499-599, Uppercase and keyboard? $299, Magsafe I/O board? $99. Feeling lucky?

http://www.ifixit.com/Mac-Parts/MacBook-Air-11%22-Mid-2011

alphaod
Aug 31, 2012, 03:17 PM
If had already bought AppleCare on your older computer, you can call Apple and have them refund you the AppleCare on it.

daveishere
Aug 31, 2012, 03:37 PM
so you've split wine over your macbook and instantly just bought a new one? You are a lucky boy indeed (or a drunk one ;) haha)

KPOM
Aug 31, 2012, 04:11 PM

I spilled white wine on my 2010 the week before the 2011s came out. Wine is particularly bad, since the sugar and acid can short things out even if you dry it off.

It would have been $755 to have Apple repair it, but the Apple Genius actually waived the charge! It came back with a brand new battery, keyboard, lower case, and logic board. I sold it (fully disclosing what happened) shortly thereafter to finance the 2011. Since then, I purchased a Rearth keyboard cover that I use on airplanes and when I know I'll be near liquids. I also took out a personal articles policy from my insurance company (it's about $60/year).

That said, you might consider getting the 2011 fixed. Chances are pretty good you can get more than $755 for it unless it's a base model. Otherwise your best bet may be to take out the SSD and sell it. In any case, if you need to pull data from it and aren't getting it fixed, Other World Computing sells an adapter that converts a MacBook Air SSD into a USB 3.0 flash drive.

sillyrabbitt
Aug 31, 2012, 09:35 PM
I spilt a beer on my 2010 13" MBA a couple weeks ago and it still works thankfully. I powered it off immediately (force quit), shook the sh#t out of it, and put a blow drier over it for 2 hours. The #9 key took 2 days to be work again but now it works perfectly. I opened it up and checked out the internals too, gave it a few delicate wipes etc.

Anyway, I checked out the parts supplied from ifixit.com and I'd say your old machine may still be salvageable...but you'd need to know which parts are broken. Logic board? $499-599, Uppercase and keyboard? $299, Magsafe I/O board? $99. Feeling lucky?

http://www.ifixit.com/Mac-Parts/MacBook-Air-11%22-Mid-2011

WOW Lucky you that it was ok!

How do I know which parts are broken? Funny thing is since reading this thread right now i decided to power up the computer and its staying on now for the longest it has since this happened. It seems to be working now!

I do notice that the battery indicator in the top right has an x in it and the MBA will not turn on unless plugged in.

If had already bought AppleCare on your older computer, you can call Apple and have them refund you the AppleCare on it.

Yes I do and forgot thanks! I will call for a prorate refund or sell it with apple care. not sure if applecare is void when you spill wine?

so you've split wine over your macbook and instantly just bought a new one? You are a lucky boy indeed (or a drunk one ;) haha)

Yes I had too. Its the wifes cpu she needed it. trust me it hurt to buy a new one so fast but gotta do what i gotta do. This time NO Apple care i bought it off amazon 50 bucks less then apple store no tax and a squaretrade warranty with accidental damage for warranty was 175.

I spilled white wine on my 2010 the week before the 2011s came out. Wine is particularly bad, since the sugar and acid can short things out even if you dry it off.

It would have been $755 to have Apple repair it, but the Apple Genius actually waived the charge! It came back with a brand new battery, keyboard, lower case, and logic board. I sold it (fully disclosing what happened) shortly thereafter to finance the 2011. Since then, I purchased a Rearth keyboard cover that I use on airplanes and when I know I'll be near liquids. I also took out a personal articles policy from my insurance company (it's about $60/year).

That said, you might consider getting the 2011 fixed. Chances are pretty good you can get more than $755 for it unless it's a base model. Otherwise your best bet may be to take out the SSD and sell it. In any case, if you need to pull data from it and aren't getting it fixed, Other World Computing sells an adapter that converts a MacBook Air SSD into a USB 3.0 flash drive.

How the heck did u get them to waive the charge? Can I go to another apple store and ask them to look at it? would they ever waive the charge or no way when they see red wine?

thanks to all for the help suggestions etc et etc. THANKS!

KPOM
Sep 1, 2012, 03:17 AM
How the heck did u get them to waive the charge? Can I go to another apple store and ask them to look at it? would they ever waive the charge or no way when they see red wine?

thanks to all for the help suggestions etc et etc. THANKS!

I didn't ask for or expect them to waive the charges. I think I just hit the jackpot with a lucky Genius. He asked me how old it was (4 months at the time) and said he's put it through as a complimentary repair. My guess is that with the rumored changes at the retail stores this is less likely to occur now, and it always was rare. I certainly didn't expect it, but was happy about it.

That said, if you go to the store and are upfront about what happened, at the very least they will provide a repair estimate. I think it would be $755. If you can get $800 or more on the Marketplace or Craigslist, it would be worth it.

Blackberryroid
Sep 1, 2012, 07:32 AM
hi all:

Boy, you are filthy stinkin' rich. I can't believe you'd buy a new computer just because a wine spilled on it. Most people would buy a new one after a few months and try to work with other computers.

Surprisingly, you were even worrying about the wine being wasted. How much was that wine, anyway? $3000?

Anyways, the best way to calculate how much that laptop of yours is worth is follow this formula:

(Average price of working MBA 2011 price on eBay) - (Repair quote from Apple Store) = The best selling price.

You might get a negative. In that case, you might want to keep that for a few decades. It'll be worth a fortune.

sillyrabbitt
Sep 1, 2012, 07:58 AM
-Thanks all for the info and ideas/potential scenarios!

-I had to buy a new one! Its was fix it for $800 or or buy a new one for $1050. my wife needed the computer to do work on.

-the red wine was $2 from trader joes $2 buck chuck cheap cheap wine. I didnt care about that I do care about the $1000 buck but what am i too do!

******I did a test last night left it plugged in and WOW its still on this morning. Do you think its not toasted??? It has an X in the battery meter. Maybe just the batter is no good? I dont even know where to bring it to figure it out? Do I ship it back to apple?

thanks!!!!!!

sillyrabbitt
Sep 3, 2012, 10:26 AM
Update the mba is working for days now perfectly except it needs to be plugged in. the battery is not recognized. should i chance a $100 and buy a new battery or you think eventually the computer will crap out?

thanks!

Spoonz
Sep 3, 2012, 02:52 PM
Update the mba is working for days now perfectly except it needs to be plugged in. the battery is not recognized. should i chance a $100 and buy a new battery or you think eventually the computer will crap out?

thanks!

I'd get it checked out somehow first - you have no idea which component(s) could die any minute. Surely you could sell parts for quite a pretty penny though, like the screen?

sillyrabbitt
Sep 3, 2012, 06:43 PM
I'd get it checked out somehow first - you have no idea which component(s) could die any minute. Surely you could sell parts for quite a pretty penny though, like the screen?

i took it to apple they said they would replace in the insides for 755 + tax basically. the unit is working great except for the battery. i would rather try that or just sell the unit. not sure though what route to take. its sad to see this pristine looking machine knowing the insides might not work. my gut says they will work with a new battery fine but what do i know. if i can only get a 100-200 bucks for it i would rather risk 100 and keep it as a backup cpu.

KPOM
Sep 4, 2012, 09:35 AM
i took it to apple they said they would replace in the insides for 755 + tax basically. the unit is working great except for the battery. i would rather try that or just sell the unit. not sure though what route to take. its sad to see this pristine looking machine knowing the insides might not work. my gut says they will work with a new battery fine but what do i know. if i can only get a 100-200 bucks for it i would rather risk 100 and keep it as a backup cpu.

It might not be just the battery. In fact the battery could be fine, but the connection could be what is damaged. That's actually what happened to Molly Wood's MacBook Air after CNet's Torture Test (it would work when plugged in but would shut off immediately when unplugged).

Maybe go back and insist that Apple (or a third party repair center) attempt to replace the battery only. At that point, if it works, go ahead, and if it doesn't, send it in. If changing the battery works, I'd suggest cleaning the insides thoroughly with an electronic cleaning solution, since the acid and sugar from the wine might well corrode the logic board over time (which is probably why Apple is suggesting the $755 repair).

For $755 you will essentially get a brand new machine. On mine, they replaced the logic board, lower case, keyboard, and several internal boards (such as the wi-fi controller). All that carried over were the SSD, screen, and top case.

sillyrabbitt
Sep 4, 2012, 09:55 AM
It might not be just the battery. In fact the battery could be fine, but the connection could be what is damaged. That's actually what happened to Molly Wood's MacBook Air after CNet's Torture Test (it would work when plugged in but would shut off immediately when unplugged).

Maybe go back and insist that Apple (or a third party repair center) attempt to replace the battery only. At that point, if it works, go ahead, and if it doesn't, send it in. If changing the battery works, I'd suggest cleaning the insides thoroughly with an electronic cleaning solution, since the acid and sugar from the wine might well corrode the logic board over time (which is probably why Apple is suggesting the $755 repair).

For $755 you will essentially get a brand new machine. On mine, they replaced the logic board, lower case, keyboard, and several internal boards (such as the wi-fi controller). All that carried over were the SSD, screen, and top case.

Awesome info that i was looking for! Thanks for the advice and insight. Much appreciated! Do apple retail stores change batteries or is that a mail in type job?

one other thing what is the exact screw driver i need to open the mba to clean it up? radioshack have them or buy online someplace?

thanks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

KPOM
Sep 4, 2012, 10:17 AM
Awesome info that i was looking for! Thanks for the advice and insight. Much appreciated! Do apple retail stores change batteries or is that a mail in type job?

one other thing what is the exact screw driver i need to open the mba to clean it up? radioshack have them or buy online someplace?

thanks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Apple Retail Stores can usually change batteries. iFixit and Other World Computing sell screwdrivers that will work with the MacBook Air. Alternatively, an Authorized Apple Service Provider (you can find one here (http://www.apple.com/buy/locator/service/)) might be willing to replace the battery and clean out the inside.

sillyrabbitt
Sep 4, 2012, 12:30 PM
Apple Retail Stores can usually change batteries. iFixit and Other World Computing sell screwdrivers that will work with the MacBook Air. Alternatively, an Authorized Apple Service Provider (you can find one here (http://www.apple.com/buy/locator/service/)) might be willing to replace the battery and clean out the inside.

KPOM.......

Thank you!!!!!!

sillyrabbitt
Sep 8, 2012, 12:06 PM
OK when you have nothing to lose you say WTF! Actually I guess I could have messed my other MBA but whatever!

a tech from apple said try to clean the machine and bring it back in [he said if you dont clean it they wont even try to help once the see the spill]. so i opened the mba cleaned all the wine i could with distilled water and rubbing alcohol. PRISTINE inside now! i brought it in back to apple and they looked at it and said they saw wine and could only fix everything inside for $755. i know they didnt see wine [they were reading the notes from when i brought it in dirty. they were not telling the truth i know it because i clean EVERY drop!

See the computer works plugged in but not without power. it doesnt work on battery power! getting annoyed i went home and opened up two macbook airs the broken one and the good one and i swapped the batteries AND LOW AND BEHOLD the computer works FINE!!!! Woohooo! now where do i buy a replacement battery? ifixit says Out Of Stock!!!

i bought these off amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/Silverhill-Piece-Tool-Apple-Products/dp/B002O95BJK/ref=sr_1_1?s=hi&ie=UTF8&qid=1347126677&sr=1-1&keywords=B002O95BJK

followed this from ifixit [thanks KPOM]
http://www.ifixit.com/Guide/Installing-MacBook-Air-11-Inch-Mid-2011-Battery/6306/1

and the moral of the story is the MBA likes to drink trader joes red wine get F'd up and with a little rest and a shower LOL keeps on ticking!!

BigMcGuire
Sep 8, 2012, 01:06 PM
lol happy for you man! Nice turn out there. Hahaha.

sillyrabbitt
Sep 8, 2012, 01:27 PM
lol happy for you man! Nice turn out there. Hahaha.

Thanks buddy!

I just need to find a battery replacement.

KPOM
Sep 8, 2012, 11:28 PM
Thanks buddy!

I just need to find a battery replacement.

You can bring the good MacBook Air to an Apple store and buy a replacement battery for it. Alternatively, take it to an authorized repair center that is not an Apple Store, as they won't have a record of the wine spill to the other one. Just say you want to buy a replacement battery.

sillyrabbitt
Sep 14, 2012, 09:08 PM
You can bring the good MacBook Air to an Apple store and buy a replacement battery for it. Alternatively, take it to an authorized repair center that is not an Apple Store, as they won't have a record of the wine spill to the other one. Just say you want to buy a replacement battery.

i am having a hard time finding a battery. i sent the unit back to apple they must have a record that its liquid damage as they are saying the samed canned answer the store is saying that there is liquid when i know there isnt since i cleaned it.

i asked them to sell me just a battery and they are SO stupid and keep passing me around and around transferring me to one dept after another saying it isnt user upgradable and they cannot sell it to me. saying its soldered to the logic board [when it is not] dummy after dummy.

what is the exact model # or part # i need for a

mba mid 2011 11" is it A1370 or A1375 or is it 661-6081?

is this the battery i need?

can i use this one

35Wh Apple Battery A1406 020-7376-A Fit Macbook Air 11" A1370

http://www.usa-battery.com/35wh-apple-battery-a1406-0207376a-fit-macbook-air-11-a1370-p-38967.html

or this one

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Macbook-Air-A1370-11-Laptop-A1375-7-3V-35Wh-Original-Black-Battery-Tested-/160877057025?pt=Laptop_Batteries&hash=item2575051401

thanks

KPOM
Sep 14, 2012, 09:18 PM
That looks like the right one. I don't think it has changed since the 2010 version.

Your experience is partly why I'm suggesting an authorized repair center. They are independent businesses that have agreements with Apple. That said, I'd have thought that if you just went in and said you wanted to buy a battery and have it installed they'd do that. As I indicated before, one method may be to swap batteries with your "good" MacBook Air and just have them replace the battery on that one since there is no record of it being spilled on.

sillyrabbitt
Sep 14, 2012, 09:31 PM
That looks like the right one. I don't think it has changed since the 2010 version.

Your experience is partly why I'm suggesting an authorized repair center. They are independent businesses that have agreements with Apple. That said, I'd have thought that if you just went in and said you wanted to buy a battery and have it installed they'd do that. As I indicated before, one method may be to swap batteries with your "good" MacBook Air and just have them replace the battery on that one since there is no record of it being spilled on.

ahhhh i get it now. i didnt think of doing that. i wanted to be straight up and buy a battery from apple. they are making me crazy and making it hard to be honest. i want to do what you mention now! i did call a few non apple store service centers but non of them had the part in stock blah blah...

or i can buy the battery from either link i posted and all will fit / work fine with my cpu?

thanks again

KPOM
Sep 14, 2012, 09:42 PM
The battery on eBay should work just fine, assuming it's a legitimate part.

sillyrabbitt
Sep 24, 2012, 05:19 PM
Just wanted to report back I popped the new battery in and all is well so far.

question: how do i know if its brand new battery?

if the cycle count says 0 in "about this mac" System info" Reports"?

Can someone reset the cycle count? or if its 0 then i am good?

the computer is working great i hope it lasts. thanks for ALL the help!

sillyrabbitt
Feb 20, 2013, 08:54 PM
The computer has been working fine since i changed the battery out back in Sept.

All of a sudden the trackpad is giving me issues. anyone know what i can do to fix?

basically in a nutshell it works but the trackpad is very stiff and the click has no more bounce to it if that makes sense.

what is the best remedy? should I take it apart and clean the pad underneath?

thanks!

buysp
Feb 20, 2013, 10:34 PM
Try your luck with Apple (Trackpad) and hope they don't remember the wine issue last year.:D

sillyrabbitt
Feb 21, 2013, 07:19 AM
haha i had that thought too. i dont have apple care. i will give it a go.

is this something that is user fixable if they say no ? or dont even attempt it.

thanks

BeeJee
Feb 21, 2013, 06:35 PM
haha i had that thought too. i dont have apple care. i will give it a go.

is this something that is user fixable if they say no ? or dont even attempt it.

thanks

I think the trackpad can be easily taken out after you remove the battery, is it giving you a problem if you set it to "tap to click" or you just don't like the feel of the click now? Because if it still recognizes gestures you could essentially fix it for free. By the way I read your other posts on this thread, it's great to see someone with a great attitude even after something like that happened. A lot of people on here would just complain and not be proactive. Thumbs up for that and good luck

Edit: http://www.ifixit.com/Guide/Installing+MacBook+Air+11-Inch+Mid+2011+Trackpad/10029/1

designs216
Feb 21, 2013, 07:15 PM
Otherwise I think the best solution is a hammer, or if available a shotgun is always fun.

Now that I would like to see. Post the video on your web site and at least score some traffic to make you feel better about the cash wasted in a moment of indiscretion.

sillyrabbitt
Feb 21, 2013, 07:19 PM
I think the trackpad can be easily taken out after you remove the battery, is it giving you a problem if you set it to "tap to click" or you just don't like the feel of the click now? Because if it still recognizes gestures you could essentially fix it for free. By the way I read your other posts on this thread, it's great to see someone with a great attitude even after something like that happened. A lot of people on here would just complain and not be proactive. Thumbs up for that and good luck

Edit: http://www.ifixit.com/Guide/Installing+MacBook+Air+11-Inch+Mid+2011+Trackpad/10029/1

haha great minds i did set it to tap to click which helps a bit. i did open it up remove bat and play with some of the screws loosening them which helped too. but its still not perfect.

thanks for the accolades. i figured WTH might as well make lemonade! the peeps on this site were/are awesome best folks hands down. Thank you too for the information.

Kissaragi
Feb 22, 2013, 06:06 AM
Oh no! All that wine wasted!

Acorn
Feb 22, 2013, 02:04 PM

thanks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

if you go to ifixit.com and look up how to disassemble your air or how to change the air ssd it shows the screwdrivers needed and often times includes a link to buy what you need directly from them.

I spilled fruit punch on my air but the lid was closed so none got inside. its been working fine for about 2 months. i feel for you and really are happy for you that you had the means to replace it so soon. had the juice got inside mine it would have been months for a replacement.

sillyrabbitt
Feb 22, 2013, 04:31 PM
Oh no! All that wine wasted!

hehehe i licked up ;)

if you go to ifixit.com and look up how to disassemble your air or how to change the air ssd it shows the screwdrivers needed and often times includes a link to buy what you need directly from them.

I spilled fruit punch on my air but the lid was closed so none got inside. its been working fine for about 2 months. i feel for you and really are happy for you that you had the means to replace it so soon. had the juice got inside mine it would have been months for a replacement.

after i took it apart now the trackpad is clicking a little better. i will see what apple says. if they blow me off then i will buy the trackpad from ifix and try to well fixit lol

thanks!

Kissaragi
Feb 22, 2013, 05:07 PM
hehehe i licked up ;)

Phew!

sillyrabbitt
Feb 22, 2013, 07:51 PM
Phew!

:) well i was a little drunk :)

sillyrabbitt
Feb 23, 2013, 05:46 PM
ok the genius couldnt/wouldnt do anything oow. $120 to fix trackpad which isnt so bad and I would have done it but he said it would take 3 days. i might do it myself or try to find a apple consultant who can do it quicker.

Kissaragi
Feb 23, 2013, 05:55 PM
ok the genius couldnt/wouldnt do anything oow. $120 to fix trackpad which isnt so bad and I would have done it but he said it would take 3 days. i might do it myself or try to find a apple consultant who can do it quicker.

Do ifixit or somewhere sell it?

alphaod
Feb 26, 2013, 08:33 AM

Well getting a new trackpad means you'll get a new top case… which pretty much means a new keyboard and all the remnants of your wine spill will be forever gone. :)

(Well on the computer chassis anyways)

caligomez
Jun 16, 2013, 03:20 PM
Hey OP! Happy to hear that your MBA survived the spill. I found your post after searching like crazy because two days ago I spilled a little water on my wife's 2012 MBA, and it went right through the vent. Not much, but its got similar symptoms as yours did. You were able to resolve everything with a new battery, right?

My question is, did your MBA have the following?:

- battery doesn't work, and computer doesn't even recognize its there. Has an"x" where charge % should be.
- charger LED wont light at all
- has to be powered on with mag safe plugged in, and power button doesn't work on its own
- whenever the MBA is on, fan is always running at high speed
- keyboard backlight no working

Hopefully you can help, as I'm pretty desperate right now. Wife is pissed! Haha