PDA

View Full Version : Sony Japan in crisis as iTunes-hungry artists rebel

MacBytes
Aug 10, 2005, 03:29 PM
http://www.macbytes.com/images/bytessig.gif (http://www.macbytes.com)

Category: Tunes
Link: Sony Japan in crisis as iTunes-hungry artists rebel (http://www.macbytes.com/link.php?sid=20050810152936)

Posted on MacBytes.com (http://www.macbytes.com)
Approved by Mudbug

autrefois
Aug 10, 2005, 03:51 PM
Very interesting story. The iTunes revolution has begun in Japan!

Can't artists get sued though if they have a contract with Sony (or others) and start putting their music on iTunes?? :confused: It sounds like Motoharu Sano is in a special circumstance since Sony doesn't consider him a "Sony artist", but I assume others would have to either stick with Sony and stay off iTunes or find a way to end their contract.

Maybe this will be a good bargaining position for Apple, that even the artists are revolting!

SFVCyclone
Aug 10, 2005, 04:01 PM
Even though its an AP article its funny how MSN has it. :D

RHutch
Aug 10, 2005, 04:04 PM
Time for Sony to wake up and realize that iTunes is the way to go.

winmacguy
Aug 10, 2005, 04:19 PM
Very interesting story. The iTunes revolution has begun in Japan!

Can't artists get sued though if they have a contract with Sony (or others) and start putting their music on iTunes?? :confused: It sounds like Motoharu Sano is in a special circumstance since Sony doesn't consider him a "Sony artist", but I assume others would have to either stick with Sony and stay off iTunes or find a way to end their contract.

Maybe this will be a good bargaining position for Apple, that even the artists are revolting!

Damn! that's good. Its like watching the school bully get thumped by all the guys he has been bullying :D :cool:

Lacero
Aug 10, 2005, 04:23 PM
The music industry is still so draconian compared to the movie industry where actors are no longer bound by studio contracts. Apple might just be onto something here... yippee!

GoCubsGo
Aug 10, 2005, 04:34 PM
I for one see this two ways. One, some of those artists are probably the same *******s who are supporting Sony and the RIAA when they want to sue teenagers and two, it is sweet to see Sony getting a dose of crap from the artists. I really do hope it all works out for the artists. Otherwise, Japan will find another way to download music from sony's artists.

tsaxer
Aug 10, 2005, 04:37 PM
Well, I've personally long been sick of sony's megalomaniacal handling of intellectual property (the Atrac rigamaro is ridiculous). However, it may be a little early to call the situation a crisis (but Japanese news writing tends to sensationalize a bit).
Nevertheless, I personally wait for the time to come when either the term applies, or sony gets its backside in gear and let's people actually use their music. (Don't forget, Sony was/is one of the main proponents of the CD copy protection.) grrr.

granex
Aug 10, 2005, 04:43 PM
The Japanese have only been downloading 450,000 a month from Sony versus 1 million in 4 days from Apple. If the artists rebel, it is clear who will blink first, because Apple does not "need" the Sony artists, but in a culture that worships the cutting edge, the Sony artists have a lot to loose if iTunes stays this hot.

Of course Apple could just go for broke at this point and try to break the labels, but there is still that pesky Apple Records lawsuit out there. The labels realize that it is only a matter of time if they don't stop Apple soon, but this JiTunes situation will be a great testing ground to see if they simply get run over when they try to stop it. Of course the biggest leverage for the labels is not the new releases, but their old catalogs. That's why Apple will not do anything too rash and is simply willing to see how it all plays out.

winmacguy
Aug 10, 2005, 04:56 PM
The music industry is still so draconian compared to the movie industry where actors are no longer bound by studio contracts. Apple might just be onto something here... yippee!
Vodaphone NZ has started its online music service to provide download tracks for your mobile for $3.49 a track
http://www.vodafone.co.nz/vlive/3g/experience_music.jsp?item=experience3g&subitem=music

Still waiting for iTMS!!!!!!!!

Yvan256
Aug 10, 2005, 08:11 PM
Vodaphone NZ has started its online music service to provide download tracks for your mobile for $3.49 a track
http://www.vodafone.co.nz/vlive/3g/experience_music.jsp?item=experience3g&subitem=music

Still waiting for iTMS!!!!!!!!

3.49$US... 4.23$CAD per track? (I love that conversion widget!) :D

So, let me get this straight... there's actually people paying 4.23$CAD for each downloaded song?! And I'm betting it stays stuck inside their phone too? Holy crap! :eek:

Steve Jobs was more than on target when he said phone companies are nuts with their pricing schemes!

As for Apple's Japanese iTMS vs Sony Music.... <Nelson>AH-AH!</Nelson>

simX
Aug 10, 2005, 10:27 PM
3.49$US... 4.23$CAD per track? (I love that conversion widget!) :D

So, let me get this straight... there's actually people paying 4.23$CAD for each downloaded song?! And I'm betting it stays stuck inside their phone too? Holy crap! :eek:

Steve Jobs was more than on target when he said phone companies are nuts with their pricing schemes!

As for Apple's Japanese iTMS vs Sony Music.... <Nelson>AH-AH!</Nelson>

Um, there are other dollars than the U.S.'s. Clearly, the service is based in New Zealand, and according to MY conversion widget (yes I love it too), that means it's 2.93$CAD, which is significantly less than the 4.23$CAD you thought it was, but still significantly higher than what iTunes charges.

Fender2112
Aug 11, 2005, 07:00 AM
Um, there are other dollars than the U.S.'s. Clearly, the service is based in New Zealand, and according to MY conversion widget (yes I love it too), that means it's 2.93$CAD, which is significantly less than the 4.23$CAD you thought it was, but still significantly higher than what iTunes charges.

But the point remains. The pricing is ridiulous.:D I must confess though. I paid $1.99 US for a ring tone.