PDA

View Full Version : 2012 MBA 13" battery issue?

MRxRoman
Aug 30, 2012, 01:43 PM
I have a 2012 MBA 13" and after upgrading to ML I've noticed a significant decrease in battery life. It's getting really annoying considering the fact I was able to last a solid 5 1/2 to 6 hours of normal use prior to upgrading. Whats the cause of this? Anything that can be done? Every other minute i glance up at the percentage and its 1 or 2 percent down from the previous number.
Also if your just home and you want to use the computer, whats the best way to do this, by leaving it plugged in, using straight up battery, or using the battery untill it reaches 75% and then charging it fully and then repeating? I know other people have got to be having this problem as well and it worries me because this computer is brand new. Thanks.

GGJstudios
Aug 30, 2012, 02:18 PM
There are many factors that impact your battery life. See the BATTERY LIFE FROM A CHARGE section of the following link for details, including tips on how to maximize your battery life. This should answer most, if not all, of your battery/charging questions: Apple Notebook Battery FAQ (http://forums.macrumors.com/showpost.php?p=9875442&postcount=23)
Run on battery whenever you need to and plug it in whenever you can. You can plug or unplug at any time, regardless of the charged percentage. Just make sure you don't run on AC power all the time, as your battery needs to be used regularly to stay healthy.

miles01110
Aug 30, 2012, 03:18 PM
Also if your just home and you want to use the computer, whats the best way to do this, by leaving it plugged in, using straight up battery, or using the battery untill it reaches 75% and then charging it fully and then repeating? I know other people have got to be having this problem as well and it worries me because this computer is brand new. Thanks.

The best way to use your computer at home is to not worry about battery life. Batteries can be replaced and worrying about their health is folly. You should use your computer based on your needs, not on pointless concerns like battery health.

gnasher729
Aug 30, 2012, 05:05 PM

Leave it plugged in, that way the batteries are not discharged, and the lifetime of the battery is about 1000 charges. If you use the battery down to 75% and recharge, that is 1/4 charge gone for no good reason. Once a month the battery should be completely discharged.

Apart from that, use the Mac as you need it. 1000 charges is a lot.

Mopar
Aug 31, 2012, 06:42 AM
This is a known issue with Mountain Lion upgrades. Have a look here and also check to see if you have the 10.8.1 update:

http://www.macobserver.com/tmo/article/macbook_pro_mountain_lion_battery_life_10.7_vs_10.8_vs_10.8.1/