Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kat.hayes

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 10, 2011
I head that there is some ratio of 1:1.68 that is considered an ideal for designing. What does this ratio mean and how do you actually use it?

Thanks.

gnasher729

Suspended
Nov 25, 2005
I head that there is some ratio of 1:1.68 that is considered an ideal for designing. What does this ratio mean and how do you actually use it?

You got the number wrong, it is 1 : 1.618.

If you have two items of size 0.618 and 1.000, then the ratio between smaller item and larger item is the same as the ratio between the larger item and the sum of the two items, that is 0.618 : 1 = 1 : 1.618.

If you square the number, then the square is one larger than the number itself:

1.618 x 1.618 = 1 + 1.618.

gnasher729

Suspended
Nov 25, 2005
Does anyone actually use this? Is this even taught in design school?

I have seen it taught in do-it-yourself books. Let's say you have a room and you want to put wallpaper on the wall, some color at the bottom, some different color at the top, and a wooden rail separating them. How high would you put the wooden rail? Golden ratio. Bottom : top = 1 : 1.618. Or you have a tiled bathroom, with a horizontal stripe of tiles to add some color. How high? Golden ratio.

SimianSquared

macrumors newbie
May 8, 2012
Yes it's taught in art schools. It's something that generally becomes natural, you begin to see it quite obviously after long enough studying and using it.

Unless you're creating highly precise and designed work, you won't really be sitting there calculating it but day-to-day you'll automatically line your photography or design up with it once you get to know it.

einmusiker

macrumors 68040
Apr 26, 2010
it is the number that pervades nature. It is found in physics, art, music, everything that has anything resembling a spiral etc. There is a relative concept of A is to B as B is to the whole, I'm not sure of the mathematical term. Bartok was known to use it in his compositions. It is supposed to provide a sense of perfect balance.

beowulf70

macrumors regular
Oct 20, 2010
London
Was that a serious statement?

Indeed it was.

As I mentioned in a previous post, Jan Tschichold was an exponent of grids and the Golden Section ratios form the basis for many grids and formats in design. I quote: "There was a time when deviations from the truly beautiful page proportions 2:3, 1:√3, and the Golden Section were rare. Many books produced between 1550 and 1770 show these proportions exactly, to within half a millimeter." It can be that important. I believe it's always a good place to start when working on grids and layout. ;)

gnasher729

Suspended
Nov 25, 2005
do-it-yourself books for interior design or graphic design?

500 pages of do it yourself for doing anything in and around your house. How to erect and paint a fence, how to install everything in a bathroom, how to tile it and make it look nice, anything you need to know to improve your house.

einmusiker

macrumors 68040
Apr 26, 2010
this number is also known as Phi from the Greek. It is the golden mean. In the physics of acoustics Phi is used to design musical instruments with superior sound and acoustics (Stradivarius violins) and in the design of music studios for superior acoustic integrity

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.