PDA

View Full Version : Eye 'Pain' on 2011 MBA

atrampus
Aug 31, 2012, 07:10 AM
Hi Everyone.

I purchased a 2011 13" MBA last year, which replaced my trusty 2006 13.3" MB. The first thing I noticed was that the MBA screen, albeit beautiful, 'hurt' my right eye - not a strain, but more so a sharp pain right through the middle of my eye.

I returned it after 5 days, and got a Macbook Pro 13, which I didn't have an issue with, which was weird as they are both LED backlit displays.

One thing I miss about the MBA is how light it was to carry around with me. Does anyone have any advice on the 2012 spec MBA 13" screen - is it also likely to kill my right eye as it is not covered by glass?

I love my MBP, but I still miss the MBA.

Any assistance would be appreciated (especially before I put down close to $2k on a new laptop)

Thanks, Andrew :)

Steve121178
Aug 31, 2012, 07:15 AM
The screen is the same so don't buy it.

twintin
Aug 31, 2012, 07:19 AM
It's hard to tell until you try. However, the MBA has higher resolution and lower gamut than MBP. Either it is the resolution, the gamut or a combination thereof that affects your eye.

Nevertheless, this years MBA screens seems pretty similar to previous years MBA, so my guess is you will have same problem with the new one's as the poster above me wrote.

Personally I have no issues at all with the screen on my MBA 2012.

atrampus
Aug 31, 2012, 07:52 AM
Thanks for the replies.

Looks like my MBP will have to do for me, until some new screen type comes out on the MBA.

mzjin
Aug 31, 2012, 07:59 AM
The Macbook Air screens are pretty poor displays in general, especially the 13" one. It has low contrast, color gamut, and terrible viewing angles.

The Macbook Pro screen you're using, despite lower resolution, is a much higher quality and better looking display.

What you're probably going to be looking at is the 13" Retina Macbook Pro, which is going to be lighter and thinner much like the Air, but sport a high quality IPS display.

keysersoze
Aug 31, 2012, 09:10 AM
FWIW: On Apple's support site there is a 34 page thread with contributions from many people who have increased eye strain/headaches with the new(er) Apple displays. Most believe it has to do with the LED backlighting and increased blue light and brightness. Results vary between different computer models and different model years. I won't try to describe it much because I wouldn't do a great job and you would probably learn a lot more by just browsing through the thread:

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/1677617?start=0&tstart=0

You should probably just go and play with one for an hour or two and see how it affects you!

BigMcGuire
Aug 31, 2012, 10:54 AM
Changing my color profile helped me a lot. Made text darker and sharper.

http://osxdaily.com/2011/10/30/how-to-check-for-an-lg-display-in-a-macbook-air-and-make-it-look-better/

I have an LG display. (2011 13' Macbook Air) and the above profile is only for LG displays.

charlieegan3
Aug 31, 2012, 10:59 AM
If you go blind applecare will cover it.

atrampus
Aug 31, 2012, 07:02 PM
@mzjin - I think I will wait for the 13" MBP RD - It seems to be the best of both worlds.

@keysersoze - It may be - I adjusted the calibration settings etc, to no avail. My MBP has a LED backlit display, and the display is beautiful - so I don't think that this is the cause of my issues - Just a MBA specific problem.

@charlieegan3 - LOL!!!

plucky duck
Aug 31, 2012, 07:23 PM
If you go blind applecare will cover it.

Applecare will pay for the cost of surgery to replace your eyes with all new retina-certified eye balls? What if there's a dead pixel in my eyes? :p

charlieegan3
Sep 1, 2012, 05:50 AM
Applecare will pay for the cost of surgery to replace your eyes with all new retina-certified eye balls? What if there's a dead pixel in my eyes? :p

There needs to be 6 dead pixels, then they can replace your eyes.