Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

swiftaw

macrumors 603
Original poster
Jan 31, 2005
Omaha, NE, USA
I ordered a MacMini from the Apple Online store and it shipped today. Looking at the fedex tracking page lists the weight of the package as 63lbs!!! Maybe they have shipped me a PowerMac instead. :)

homerjward

macrumors 68030
May 11, 2004
fig tree
iirc an emac box is 63-64lbs. perhaps they gave you a free 17" crt, kb and mouse and forgot to tell you? :p
oh, itasor, who is that in your avatar? they look really weird with the keira hair...

gekko513

macrumors 603
Oct 16, 2003
eMac - 50 lbs
PowerMac - 44.4 lbs
iMac - 18.5 lbs
Mac mini - 3 lbs
+ packaging and extras

Maybe it was supposed to be 6.3 lbs?

Verto

macrumors 6502a
Jul 20, 2005
Denton, TX
swiftaw said:
I ordered a MacMini from the Apple Online store and it shipped today. Looking at the fedex tracking page lists the weight of the package as 63lbs!!! Maybe they have shipped me a PowerMac instead. :)

Maybe it's pregnant :)

MacHarne

macrumors 6502
Mar 3, 2005
Virginia, U.S.A.
I shipped an iBook over a month ago and showed the weight to be 17.5 kg in my tracking information up until the last day when it was switched to 17.5 lbs (as it truly was). I'm going to guess it is either 6.3 lbs or you're getting some goodies.

CanadaRAM

macrumors G5
Verto said:
Maybe it's pregnant :)
Heh, maybe you'll have a litter of baby Shuffles. Make sure you get them all housebroken, wouldn't want them widdling in random corners of the house, now. ;)

Seriously -- when freight is shipped by Air, it is seldom billed by actual weight. The shippers bill by "cubic weight" - they take the cubic dimensions of the package, no matter how light, and multiply it by a factor to arrive at a billing, or cubic, weight. That would square with the 17 lbs for an iBook that weighs much less packaged. No idea on the 63 Lb Mini though...

cynikal

macrumors member
Aug 12, 2003
maybe someone leaned on the scale when they were weighing the package :p

seriously, hope you get a heavier (and more powerful) machine, and if you don't, i'll buy you a mini mac if you trade me for your machien :)

jimsowden

macrumors 68000
Sep 6, 2003
NY
cynikal said:
maybe someone leaned on the scale when they were weighing the package :p

seriously, hope you get a heavier (and more powerful) machine, and if you don't, i'll buy you a mini mac if you trade me for your machien :)
That's about the weight of a Macintosh Classic

MattG

macrumors 68040
May 27, 2003
Asheville, NC
Heheh...reminds me of when Apple accidently sent me back someone elses repair instead of mine :) Guess it's hard to keep track of all those boxes when you're dealing with so many.

Hope you enjoy whatever it is they shipped you!

CoMpX

macrumors 65816
Jun 29, 2005
New Jersey
swiftaw said:
Package arrived this morning. Just what I ordered, 1 macmini. Damn, it's small.

Awww. Thanks kind of a dissapointment. I thought you would get something special. Oh well! Enjoy it! I know I did. :)

MattG

macrumors 68040
May 27, 2003
Asheville, NC
I love mine so far. Just upgraded it to 1gb of RAM and it hums along!

And I'll have one of these soon too! I actually got it today but had to send it back to Apple because the metal was all scratched and marred looking...can't have that :)

cardiac dave

macrumors regular
Jun 23, 2005
iToronto
gekko513 said:
eMac - 50 lbs
PowerMac - 44.4 lbs
iMac - 18.5 lbs
Mac mini - 3 lbs
+ packaging and extras

Maybe it was supposed to be 6.3 lbs?

errr... I distinctly remember hauling my new iMac from my desk down to the car after it arrived at the office... there's no way it was 18.5lbs. IIRC the 17" is around 27lbs, the 20" came in a little over 35lbs.

Made me think that under that pretty plastic was solid steel.

Then again... I come from the audiophile mindset that heavy = good. Lightweight = crap

nsutt22

macrumors regular
May 5, 2005
We got Mac mini's at the place i work for some of the classrooms and lemme tell u its way more fun hauling around those then G4 and G5 cases. I remember way back when we had to haul G3 All-in-ones. No fun. Thank you Mac-Mini for saving my... back :) Anyone interested in some G3-All-In-Ones? They are good anchors, paper weights, and or lawn decorations.

swiftaw

macrumors 603
Original poster
Jan 31, 2005
Omaha, NE, USA
MattG said:
I love mine so far. Just upgraded it to 1gb of RAM and it hums along!

How difficult did you find the RAM upgrade process? It is something I would consider doing if the process isn't too challenging.

MattG

macrumors 68040
May 27, 2003
Asheville, NC
swiftaw said:
How difficult did you find the RAM upgrade process? It is something I would consider doing if the process isn't too challenging.
A little nervewracking to be honest...easy to take apart, a little more difficult to put back together. There aren't any screws or anything...you basically just pull it apart. Putting it back together is more difficult because there's parts you have to align.

Here you go:
http://www.smashsworld.com/uploads/macminidl.php

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.