Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

slipper

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Nov 19, 2003
Is a consumer level inkjet capable of printing on a canvas medium?

CanadaRAM

macrumors G5
Depends entirely on the printer and the type of canvas. Go to the manufacturer's web site or ask them what they recommend.

There are books you can get in the library; a technique for fabric printing is to stiffen the fabric with size press it absolutely flat, then bond it to waxed freezer paper with an iron. The fabric/paper combo then goes through the printer like card stock. You have to have a printer that has a straight through paper path, and that can handle heavy stock.

Alternatively, you can go to a service bureau or print shop that has an Iris, Roland or other large format printer that can print on a variety of fabric stocks.

Oh - did I mention the part about checking whether your inks are waterproof? :p

krossfyter

macrumors 601
Jan 13, 2002
secret city
man... ive wanted to do this so many times... i have access to an expensive plotter... it just costs a lot of money.

im an expieremental artists... cant waste this money... i mean a few paint cans here and there is fine... but nothing like this. i have to shoot once and hit.

20rogersc

macrumors 65816
Jun 28, 2005
Brighton, UK
There are definately some companies that do print your pictures onto canvas, but I can't think of their names. I'm sure I saw them advertised on a website like Jessops as a 'gift idea' but I don't know cost/size/etc. Just to let you know ...

::20ROGERSC::

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.