PDA

View Full Version : MacBook White'10 to MacBook Air'12

Thomasasz
Aug 31, 2012, 12:19 PM
Hello everyone!

I would like to ask a few questions about MacBook Air 13' model released this year. Currently I am using MacBook White and as its battery life is getting shorter I started to think about an upgrade.

So first of all, what am I using my MacBook for?

Most of the time for my studies: I use Word and PowerPoint or iWork as well as Safari for articles and some other 3rd party apps;
Secondly, I am also using it for entertainment, or home-using, like Safari, Youtube, Skype etc.
Thirdly, I adore HD videos: 720p or 1080p films is a necessity for me.
Lastly, I am not a hard-core gamer, however, I would not like to not to have a chance to play Civilization V, Sims or SimCity.

After taking into account all this, I started to look for a MacBook which would suit me best. Of course, the results are MacBook Air 13" and MacBook Pro 13". That's where the decision time comes. I read dozens of reviews of both laptops. However, I still cannot make my mind, although, I am leaning to Air because it seems to be more suitable for carrying.

So would you please so grateful to help me with this choice?

Firstly, do I really need MacBook Pro 13" regarding how I use my computer?
Secondly, MacBook Air uses SSD drive compared to HDD in MacBook Pro, which means that there is less space in Air. Does 128gb fill very fast regarding to my average use of iPhoto, iMovie as well as installing a few games and downloading some films?
Thirdly, more practically, is Air as silent as MacBook White? Does it have any heat issues?
In fourth place, what about screen? When I bought MacBook White, Pro was advertised to have more vivid colors on the screen. Is this a case with Pro/Air?
What about a battery in Air? MacBook White has a magnificent battery which was able to power up my computer for almost 12 hours. Now it works for about 5-6 hours. What about Air? Maybe Pro has a better battery?
And finally, is it worth upgrading? Does advantages of Air top Pro?

Sorry for a such a lengthy confession but I just want to get most of answers before buying the MacBook :D

I am very thankful for your answers!!!

Regards!

filmbuff
Aug 31, 2012, 12:43 PM
How many GB of storage are you using on your current computer? Downloading movies will fill up 128GB very quickly but you can always get an external HDD for those. Other than the storage space the MBA is probably a better choice due to the portability, battery life, nicer screen, and speed from the SSD.

The battery on the Air lasts 5-7 hours depending on what you are doing. When you are playing games you may hear the fan speed up, but 90% of the time including watching movies it will be completely silent.

Thomasasz
Aug 31, 2012, 01:19 PM
How many GB of storage are you using on your current computer? Downloading movies will fill up 128GB very quickly but you can always get an external HDD for those. Other than the storage space the MBA is probably a better choice due to the portability, battery life, nicer screen, and speed from the SSD.

The battery on the Air lasts 5-7 hours depending on what you are doing. When you are playing games you may hear the fan speed up, but 90% of the time including watching movies it will be completely silent.

Thanks for an answer! Well, actually I am using about 180gb of storage. Most of the HDD is filled with films which may be deleted very easily. I believe storing them into exHDD with USB3.0 won't be a problem.

Thank you for info about fans and battery. BTW, what do you mean when saying that screen is "nicer"?:D

007bond
Aug 31, 2012, 01:44 PM
Thanks for an answer! Well, actually I am using about 180gb of storage. Most of the HDD is filled with films which may be deleted very easily. I believe storing them into exHDD with USB3.0 won't be a problem.

Thank you for info about fans and battery. BTW, what do you mean when saying that screen is "nicer"?:D

1440x900 on the Air vs 1280x800 on your White MB, if I'm not mistaken.