PDA

View Full Version : Just Ordered MacBook Air to be Sent to Dorm

Masterfox72
Aug 31, 2012, 01:10 PM
So I just ordered me a MacBook Air, my first Mac!

I'm really excited and also nervous because it said that I have to sign off on it. However, it is going to be delivered next Thursday, and I will be in class. How am I supposed to receive this? Because additionally, as I am in the dorm, all mail goes to the mail room first and then I can go pick it up. Can my mail clerk sign it off for me?

Thanks in advance! I'm just nervous about it coming and not losing it.

miles01110
Aug 31, 2012, 01:17 PM
Can my mail clerk sign it off for me?

Yes, this happens all the time.

Mrbobb
Aug 31, 2012, 03:29 PM
When you signed on the dotted line on your dorm agreement, in fine print font size 6, page 5, paragraph 2, it says "I agree for the mailroom to accept all my parcels..." :D

macmastersam
Aug 31, 2012, 03:31 PM
have you got anyone at home that day that can sign for that package for you?

daveishere
Aug 31, 2012, 03:35 PM
i'm sure all the courier company want is a signature off someone at the delivery address, that way they have someone to point their finger at if it goes missing.

Enjoy your new Mac!

jmgaul
Aug 31, 2012, 04:16 PM
You can also "sign electronically" by logging into your account at apple.com

Ricanlegend
Aug 31, 2012, 04:56 PM
Good luck hopefully nobody recognize the address it's coming from cause if they do it's going to be stolen

pickleydoo
Aug 31, 2012, 07:08 PM
I would double check with the shipping company. When they delivered my Air, they wouldn't leave it with the front desk at my apartment building because FedEx denoted it as something that needed the signature from someone in the actual apartment. I had to pick it up from FedEx the next morning.

Stetrain
Aug 31, 2012, 07:52 PM
As someone said above, you can pre-approve them to leave it. I think now they offer you the option to do it online when you log in to your account at the Apple Store site. They also used to allow to you print out a form a sign it to leave at the door, not sure if they still offer that.

hfg
Aug 31, 2012, 08:09 PM
As someone said above, you can pre-approve them to leave it. I think now they offer you the option to do it online when you log in to your account at the Apple Store site. They also used to allow to you print out a form a sign it to leave at the door, not sure if they still offer that.

Yes, that is still how it works. The shipping notice should have a link to "pre sign for your delivery" which will then post a form that you print and sign for that particular shipment. I would think the OP could leave the form with the mail clerk or the desk for the FedEx delivery driver.

old-wiz
Sep 1, 2012, 02:54 PM
You would trust a dorm mail room with your expensive new computer? I wouldn't even consider it.

dbdynsty25
Sep 1, 2012, 03:19 PM
Assuming it's coming via FedEx (isn't that who apple uses?), you can go on their site and enter the tracking number and have them send it to one of the FedEx Kinkos locations instead of the regular delivery address. That way you can just go to your nearest location and get it from there.

asting
Sep 2, 2012, 01:54 PM
You would trust a dorm mail room with your expensive new computer? I wouldn't even consider it.

I hate when the proletariat come in contact with my nice things too!

But seriously, you have a few options. There is a "leave here" slip you can print and sign, or you can allow someone else to sign for it. These slips are available on the apple website through the order status.