Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

defora

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 18, 2005
Hello, I’m a pc user looking to switch to Mac for this semester for college, and I was looking into the recently updated iBook g4 14”.

I have never used a Mac before so I was wondering if you could tell me if the iBook would be good for what I need it for.

I’m going to be using for Image Editing (Adobe Photoshop)
Web design (Dream weaver)
Microsoft office
I will also be putting my entire music collection on it.

So I was thinking about this configuration:
14” 1.42ghz
512 standard (will be upgrading to 1.5 gig when crucial ram is in stock)
100gig HD
Superdrive

Thanks for your input!
Cheers, Jmo
:)

mad jew

Moderator emeritus
Apr 3, 2004
Adelaide, Australia
The iBooks are great, you'll love them. Having said that, if you can forgo portability, have a look at the iMacs since they will be so much faster. :)

VanNess

macrumors 6502a
Mar 31, 2005
California
You should be fine. It sounds like the more memory you have, the better.

One thing to keep in mind is Photoshop can be ram-hungry. Although OS X's memory management is very effective in allocating an application's memory needs on the fly, Photoshop has a preference for setting it's memory allocation to a minimum amount when it launches.

If your editing huge files (such as large, uncompressed raw files), it's probably a good idea to set this preference on the high side, bearing in mind how many other open apps you'll want to have running alongside Photoshop. I think the default setting is 50% of your installed ram. You can ratchet that up if need be in order to work with large files, apply complex filters and effects, and still get home at a reasonable hour.

mduser63

macrumors 68040
Nov 9, 2004
Salt Lake City, UT
That sounds like a great machine for you. I do Photoshop and Dreamweaver on my 12" PowerBook (roughly the same speed as the iBook you're considering), and it works very well. I switched from Windows almost a year ago, and am really glad I did. I only wish I had gotten a Mac earlier!

yoda13

macrumors 65816
Sep 26, 2003
Texas
you should have no problems with that machine for what you will do. You might wish for more resolution on the screen when working with lots of windows, but expose can help with that. I had to think hard to come up with that. I think that will be a great machine for you. ;)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.