PDA

View Full Version : iMac G4 hangs during install 10.5 Leopard

proxify
Aug 31, 2012, 03:22 PM
I have a 17inch iMac g4, 1.25ghz, 512mb ram. And I tried to do a clean install. I deleted the macintosh HD and start the iMac with the leopard disc. When in install, the time remaining is stuck / hangs/ at 1 hour and 8min.

What can I do?

Thanks in advance.

Intell
Aug 31, 2012, 03:24 PM
Open the Installer log as soon as it starts and watch what it does. Press Command-L to open it and change it to show all of the information instead of errors only. What does it stop on?

proxify
Aug 31, 2012, 03:52 PM
http://img543.imageshack.us/img543/6913/imagegyoz.jpg and this picture http://img585.imageshack.us/img585/2931/imagetzta.jpg

Taken en uploaded with my iPhone

Intell
Aug 31, 2012, 03:55 PM
And it stops at those lines? How long have you let it sit at those lines? Have you tried repartitioning the drive with Disk Utility?

proxify
Aug 31, 2012, 04:14 PM
I tried to install it again, and now I get a error message. It can't be installed, please make contact with the factory,... http://img836.imageshack.us/img836/6456/imagewgys.jpg

And I tried it again and I get immediately this message: http://img803.imageshack.us/img803/2609/imageypul.jpg

I bought this iMac with tiger for €100 for my girlfriend because her laptop was broken... And now this. :(

I erased the drive, the drives partition was journaled.

proxify
Aug 31, 2012, 04:31 PM
Then, i restarted my imac and there are 1.7GB (leopard) files on my macintosh HD . Then I used disk utility and did verify disk permissions, I get this -> http://img706.imageshack.us/img706/8771/imageitb.jpg

Intell
Aug 31, 2012, 04:59 PM
Every time you try to reinstall Leopard, make sure you erase the hard drive. This will get rid of any left over files. Is the Leopard dvd scratched or known to be a good disc?

proxify
Aug 31, 2012, 05:25 PM
It looks like a new disk without scratches

Intell
Aug 31, 2012, 05:27 PM
Do you have any other Macs?

proxify
Sep 1, 2012, 01:31 AM
Yes, a intel iMac (2008) with snow leopard

Intell
Sep 1, 2012, 05:43 AM
Do you have a FireWire cable? If you do, put the Intell iMac into Target Disk Mode and put the Leopard DVD in it. Connect it to the G4 and install Leopard via the Intell iMac's optical drive.

havokalien
Sep 1, 2012, 06:16 AM
I bet his motherboard is failing because of bad caps and the installer is just erroring out. Does it boot 10.4 just fine? I'm sure it doesn't. With the lines on the screen and the installer issue I'm sure it's a matter of time before it stops doing anything.

Wait hmmm iMac G4, have you looked into replacing the internal pram battery? Mine got funny when it went bad. It's the same as yours just the 20 inch model. You may just get lucky. Also the DVD drive could be really dirty so the FireWire target disk mode is a great idea.

Good luck.

proxify
Sep 1, 2012, 06:22 AM
No, I don't have a firewire cable.

So, I should buy one? a firewire 400 -> 400 cable?

----------

I just bought it from someone, it looks like new, she used it sometimes...

I used tiger and it booted fine, everything went fine, only that Safari crashed (less ram issue I think)

And now I erased Tiger and want to do a clean install...

:(

if the motherboard fails... Then I bought this mac for nothing? It can't be fixed... :confused:

I bet his motherboard is failing because of bad caps and the installer is just erroring out. Does it boot 10.4 just fine? I'm sure it doesn't. With the lines on the screen and the installer issue I'm sure it's a matter of time before it stops doing anything.

Wait hmmm iMac G4, have you looked into replacing the internal pram battery? Mine got funny when it went bad. It's the same as yours just the 20 inch model. You may just get lucky. Also the DVD drive could be really dirty so the FireWire target disk mode is a great idea.

Good luck.

Intell
Sep 1, 2012, 06:36 AM
G4 iMacs don't suffer from bad caps. The optical drive could be going bad. Some G4 era optical drives do have a harder time of reading DVDs as they age. G4 iMacs work just fine with a dead PRAM battery, they just don't keep the time.

Aameiel
Sep 1, 2012, 01:07 PM
G4 iMacs don't suffer from bad caps. The optical drive could be going bad. Some G4 era optical drives do have a harder time of reading DVDs as they age. G4 iMacs work just fine with a dead PRAM battery, they just don't keep the time.

^^^ This when i got my 20" iMac G4 i had to use target disk mode to install and its been fine ever since

mmomega
Sep 6, 2012, 05:49 PM
The optical drive in mine would install Tiger perfectly but take absolutely forever with Leopard, sometimes hanging up completely....could have been the discs.

I switched out to a brand new dvd drive and everything installed just fine.

I was very close to Target Disk Mode but held out just because I wanted to know if it was the DVD drive or not and it was.

I then went back to Tiger and installed a WD Velociraptor HDD that I had lying around. Leopard was just crazy laggy.
Could be the RAM, I have the 1GHz G4 with 768MB RAM.

Anyone else have a similar machine with more RAM and Leopard? Safari is almost completely un usable, scrolling up or down a page was like a slide show.

Intell
Sep 6, 2012, 05:50 PM
I have Leopard on my 1Ghz iMac G4 with only 768MB of ram. It's rather quick and usable.

max¥¥
Sep 6, 2012, 06:32 PM
i would bet it is ram or hdd. my mate had a similar error and it was ram and hdd (yes, both) oh and the bad ram was the factory installed stuff

mmomega
Sep 6, 2012, 09:30 PM
I have Leopard on my 1Ghz iMac G4 with only 768MB of ram. It's rather quick and usable.

Well I may try re-installing Leopard tonight and give it another try. Possibly stop by FRYs tomorrow and grab some more or new RAM.

Intell
Sep 6, 2012, 09:35 PM
Well I may try re-installing Leopard tonight and give it another try. Possibly stop by FRYs tomorrow and grab some more or new RAM.

Of course my G4 iMac is not running what could be called a stock configuration anymore. Nor is it running that butchered PowerPC optimized version.

mmomega
Sep 6, 2012, 10:21 PM
I'm actually installing Leopard to my G4 iMac via USB3 thumb drive.

I just did a restore 10.5 to USB through Disk Utility, hit Option during Start up and Mac OS X Install Disk showed up, clicked it and it is definitely installing.

For some reason I thought you had to go through some long process by booting into open firmware and force boot to the USB drive in order for it to work.

Intell
Sep 6, 2012, 10:37 PM
I'm actually installing Leopard to my G4 iMac via USB3 thumb drive.

I just did a restore 10.5 to USB through Disk Utility, hit Option during Start up and Mac OS X Install Disk showed up, clicked it and it is definitely installing.

For some reason I thought you had to go through some long process by booting into open firmware and force boot to the USB drive in order for it to work.

All post-1999 PowerPC Macs can boot right off of a USB drive with any OpenFirmware changes.

mmomega
Sep 6, 2012, 10:44 PM
All post-1999 PowerPC Macs can boot right off of a USB drive with any OpenFirmware changes.

Well hell, I never even tried it before from USB I just put the disk in, I guess I'm still learning something everyday.

It is taking absolutely forever to install though. I went from 5hr install time to 1hr 27min back to 2hr 20min with the load bar about 1/4 of the way.

proxify
Sep 13, 2012, 01:39 PM
I bought a firewire cable

Did my imac (2008) in Target disk mode and my imac G4 saw the external DVD reader. I tried to install leopard... It still hangs...

I made a backup before of Tiger.
And I did the iMac G4 in target disk mode and tried to copy the backup (with my iMac 2008) from my external HD to the empty journaled formatted Hard drive of the iMac G4.
But I get 2x an error, it said that I don't have the permission to save "..." file on the disk...

Intell
Sep 13, 2012, 02:11 PM
Do you have the reinstallation disc for your 2008 iMac? If you do, you can still get Leopard onto that G4 iMac. Using Disk Utility on the 2008 iMac, make another partition on its hard drive. Install Leopard onto that partition using its reinstallation DVD. The retail Leopard DVD will not work as it is too old to support that iMac. Once the installation is complete, run Software Update and update everything. Trust me, update Leopard on the 2008 iMac instead of the G4. In Disk Utility on the 2008 iMac format the G4's hard drive with HFS+ and AMP with it in Target Disk Mode. When the formatting is complete, start CarbonCopyCloner and clone the new Leopard partition from the 2008 iMac onto the G4 iMac. Once that is done, you can startup the G4 into Leopard and remove the extra Leopard partition from the 2008 iMac.

proxify
Sep 13, 2012, 03:24 PM
I bought my imac 2008 with grey leopard install discs, I don't have them anymore.

I have a retail version of Leopard.

I can start the retail leopard disc with imac 2008 and imac G4.

So
I make a new partition on my imac 2008?
Install leopard with imac 2008 on new partition iMac 2008 or new partition imac G4? with the install DVD.

Once it is installed I do the updates with leopard on the 2008 imac, not the imac G4?

on my imac 2008 i open disk utility and format the G4 HD with HFS+ (what is AMP?) with target disk mode.

When format is completed, I start CarbonCopyCloner and clone new leopard partition from imac 2008 on G4 imac.
Once finished, I start G4 in leopard.

Delete the extra partition on the 2008 imac..

can you be more specific with steps? :)

Do you have the reinstallation disc for your 2008 iMac? If you do, you can still get Leopard onto that G4 iMac. Using Disk Utility on the 2008 iMac, make another partition on its hard drive. Install Leopard onto that partition using its reinstallation DVD. The retail Leopard DVD will not work as it is too old to support that iMac. Once the installation is complete, run Software Update and update everything. Trust me, update Leopard on the 2008 iMac instead of the G4. In Disk Utility on the 2008 iMac format the G4's hard drive with HFS+ and AMP with it in Target Disk Mode. When the formatting is complete, start CarbonCopyCloner and clone the new Leopard partition from the 2008 iMac onto the G4 iMac. Once that is done, you can startup the G4 into Leopard and remove the extra Leopard partition from the 2008 iMac.

Intell
Sep 13, 2012, 03:26 PM
The Leopard retail disc may not work on your 2008 iMac, but you can try installing it onto a new partition on it.

proxify
Sep 13, 2012, 03:40 PM
The retail disc does work on my imac 2008! :)

But if I install leopard with my imac 2008 on a second partition on the imac 2008 hard drive... and then update is... How can a PPC read an intel based leopard?

The Leopard retail disc may not work on your 2008 iMac, but you can try installing it onto a new partition on it.

Intell
Sep 13, 2012, 09:04 PM
Leopard is a universal operating system. The only thing that makes them boot up on PowerPC Macs is the APM partition scheme on the boot drive. Intell Macs don't care if the drive is APM or GUID and will boot from it without a problem. If you copy the contents of the disc from one Mac to the other and making sure the target Mac has the proper partition scheme, it'll boot on it.

proxify
Sep 16, 2012, 05:53 PM
It worked! Thanks!!! :D :D :D :D
Leopard is faster then Tiger! :eek:

orestes1984
Sep 18, 2012, 12:05 PM
Older Mac combo and super drives have troubles with DVD+ or DVD- media I can't remember which one it is. They only read/write to one of the standards though. If it really bothers you you can try swapping the DVD drive out for a newer and faster model.

If you had the original hardware diagnostics DVD that came with the machine you could run a hardware test of the RAM/HDD.

I'm actually almost certain its nothing more than a DVD drive problem, try target disk mode to do the install.