Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

oblomow

macrumors 601
Original poster
Apr 14, 2005
Netherlands
It's September on the International Dateline.

Welcome to Photo of the Day. The POTD thread was started by iGary in May, 2006 and converted to a monthly thread in November 2007 by Arn. POTD is one of the most popular picture groups on MacRumors, often exceeding 500 posts and 20,000 views per month.

Photo of the Day is intended to be a showcase for your best pictures. There is no limit to your gear, just your imagination. P&S and film cameras are welcome along with DSLRs. There are no themes like the Fortnightly Challenge and Weekly Contest, and no winners (or losers) either.

Policies

*One Photo per Day - Don't post more than one photo each day.

*Quote with Thumbnails - When you quote an image please restore it's thumbnail before replying. You can do this either by installing the AutoTIMG browser extension or by editing the code by hand.

*Multi-Quote - To comment on several photos, click the Multi-Quote button. This puts all your comments in one post. Multi-Quoting is required on all of the MacRumors forums.

*SFW (Safe for Work) only - This is a site - wide rule. If you wouldn't show it in a public place, then it's NSFW (not safe for work). Think before you post.

*Describe your photo - Tell what it is and where you took it. If you know the EXIF data of a photo, include it. The following EXIF fields are recommended: Camera, ISO, Focal Length, Shutter/Aperture and Lens.

*Photography forum tutorials - If you need any help with posting, try one of these tutorials.

Posting Photos to Photo Forums from Flickr and ImageShack

How to Quote, Multi-Quote and Edit Posts

Restoring Thumbnails in Photo Quotes (AutoTIMG Extension and Code Editing)

For One-Click Access, they are all here: Designer Dale's Google Docs Folder:

Note: Anyone may start the Photo of the Day thread on the first of the month GMT. Please copy a quote of this post or download the Welcome file from HERE when you do. Both maintain all the formatting and links.

VirtualRain

macrumors 603
Aug 1, 2008
Vancouver, BC
September already?! Sheesh... where did the summer go? :(

p1086088098-4.jpg

ijohn.8.80

macrumors 65816
Jul 7, 2012
Adelaide, Oztwaylya.
Taken with my iPhone 4 a few weeks ago whilst undertaking a Penguin Census on Granite Island. Unfortunately, the population is all but decimated and the scientists/researchers have no idea why. :(

IMG_1083 on flickr

Last edited:

alvse

macrumors regular
Nov 30, 2008
First day of springs, and the bees are busy busy busy...

Take Off by alvse, on Flickr

Shot with a Sony DSLT-A77 and Tamron 70-300mm
Post processed in Lightroom 4

FlailingAround

macrumors newbie
Aug 16, 2012
Up A Creek
Orion Nebula

M42 by DonnieTheCat, on Flickr

Love Schtumple's star trails, so adding another astrophotograph.

This is M42 in Orion taken with an EOS Digital Rebel through a 480mm refracting telescope with an 80mm clear aperture, yielding f/6.

It is six five-minute exposures which are then stacked using dedicated software, MaxIm DL. Mount is a clock driven Celestron CG-5 guided through a piggybacked 90 mm Maksutov with reticle eyepiece.

I own none of this stuff. I checked it out from my local astronomy club, to which I pay $30 a year in dues.

Last edited:

VirtualRain

macrumors 603
Aug 1, 2008
Vancouver, BC
7888838426_c3d6002d65_b.jpg

This is M42 in Orion taken with an EOS Digital Rebel through a 480mm refracting telescope with an 80mm clear aperture, yielding f/6.

It is six five-minute exposures which are then stacked using dedicated software, MaxIm DL. Mount is a clock driven Celestron CG-5 guided through a piggybacked 90 mm Maksutov with reticle eyepiece.

I own none of this stuff. I checked it out from my local astronomy club, to which I pay $30 a year in dues.

Awesome!

someoldguy

macrumors 68030
Aug 2, 2009
usa
Summer's almost gone...

summer3c.jpg

Coney Island , this morning , before the hordes descend .
50D , 15-85@85 , f11@1/1000 , iso 400

driftless

macrumors 65816
Sep 2, 2011
Chicago-area
[url=http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8454/7888838426_c3d6002d65_b.jpg]Image[/url]

Very cool!

Parkin Pig

macrumors 6502a
Oct 23, 2009
Yorkshire-by-Gum
i'm up for cc... :)

View attachment 355379

1/4000 @ f/2.8, ISO 800, 35mm

On the plus side the black and white is strong, the textures (road surface, chrome, paintwork etc) have been well captured, and the subject matter is appealing.
On the negative side, it's poorly framed. The scooter should be further to the left, giving it space to move forward into. The cars are somewhat distracting. It may have looked better if you had a complete car behind the scooter, rather than partial cars half in/half out of the frame. Even better would be to open the aperture and tighten the focus on the scooter, although given the subject matter I'm assuming there wasn't a great deal of time available to start making adjustments.

justinLONG

macrumors member
Mar 15, 2011
On the plus side the black and white is strong, the textures (road surface, chrome, paintwork etc) have been well captured, and the subject matter is appealing.
On the negative side, it's poorly framed. The scooter should be further to the left, giving it space to move forward into. The cars are somewhat distracting. It may have looked better if you had a complete car behind the scooter, rather than partial cars half in/half out of the frame. Even better would be to open the aperture and tighten the focus on the scooter, although given the subject matter I'm assuming there wasn't a great deal of time available to start making adjustments.

thanks for the feedback!. :)

Doylem

macrumors 68040
Dec 30, 2006
Wherever I hang my hat...

The mountains in the distance are beautiful, with their subtle gradations of tone and the reflections in the still water. That, for me, would be the image, and I'd try to leave out everything that didn't add to the mood. That would be the tree on the right, maybe the shingle beach... and definitely the canoe... which is a big lumpy shape in the foreground that just gets in the way... Do you have another versions of the pic?

LumbermanSVO

macrumors 65816
Mar 15, 2007
Denton, TX
The mountains in the distance are beautiful, with their subtle gradations of tone and the reflections in the still water. That, for me, would be the image, and I'd try to leave out everything that didn't add to the mood. That would be the tree on the right, maybe the shingle beach... and definitely the canoe... which is a big lumpy shape in the foreground that just gets in the way... Do you have another versions of the pic?

Unfortunately, this is the only version I have. Shortly after taking this picture I discovered I had lost the car key, so I spent the next couple hours looking for it. :eek:

I will be returning to this place next year. Not only will I be hoping to reshoot this, but to also make it to the top of the peak on the left. I had 900ft of elevation left when I turned back due to a lack of water.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.