PDA

View Full Version : Looking for a Internet Server

macosx1058
Aug 31, 2012, 06:37 PM
I was looking for a Internet Server Mac one in which i can use soley for Internet Sharing.

Will a PowerMac G4 Cube be the best for this task? I dont need anything fancy just a PCI Wireless AirPort. Can the Cube take full-height PCI cards?

Intell
Aug 31, 2012, 06:43 PM
The Cube cannot take PCI cards of any kind. It can take the Airport B card and 99.9% of them have 100Mbit Ethernet. A very rare few have 1Gbit Ethernet. If the PCI card is a must, any PowerMac G4 would work fine. Even the non-late PowerMac G5 would work as would the PowerMac G3.

macosx1058
Aug 31, 2012, 06:45 PM
The Cube cannot take PCI cards of any kind. It can take the Airport B card and 99.9% of them have 100Mbit Ethernet. A very rare few have 1Gbit Ethernet. If the PCI card is a must, any PowerMac G4 would work fine. Even the non-late PowerMac G5 would work as would the PowerMac G3.

i wanted something like the Cube for its size i want something that is no bigger than a VCR so i can put it on the TV stand i was thinking a PowerMac G3 Desktop but all i can find are the B&Ws

Intell
Aug 31, 2012, 06:50 PM
If you're wanting something about that size with a PCI slot, the G3 desktop is likely your best option. Just note that you'll only be able to run up to Tiger on it unless it has a hard to find G4 upgrade. And even then Leopard will be very slow and buggy on it. You could always look for a pre-G3 Power Macintosh and put a G3/G4 upgrade in it. Some like the 8600 or 9600 look just like the G3 minitower, but they can get loud.

macosx1058
Aug 31, 2012, 07:00 PM
If you're wanting something about that size with a PCI slot, the G3 desktop is likely your best option. Just note that you'll only be able to run up to Tiger on it unless it has a hard to find G4 upgrade. And even then Leopard will be very slow and buggy on it. You could always look for a pre-G3 Power Macintosh and put a G3/G4 upgrade in it. Some like the 8600 or 9600 look just like the G3 minitower, but they can get loud.

i have a Tiger OS DVD so that will work fine. Is internet sharing setup the same on Tiger as it is on Leopard?

----------

i did find a Power Mac G4 400MHz Gigabit Ethernet missing PSU looks like standard ATX i got plenty ATX PSUs will that work?

Intell
Aug 31, 2012, 07:00 PM
Yes. Gigabit Ethernet G4's do not take a standard ATX power supply. But one can be modified to fit into one. There is an wonderful article about the subject that can be found via Google.

macosx1058
Aug 31, 2012, 07:13 PM
Yes. Gigabit Ethernet G4's do not take a standard ATX power supply. But one can be modified to fit into one. There is an wonderful article about the subject that can be found via Google.

looks like standard size ATX PSU with the same mounts. Also read a G# B&W takes a normal ATX PSU. This is the Sawtooth G4 looks exactly like a B&W will a B&W PSU work in a Sawtooth?

Intell
Aug 31, 2012, 07:15 PM
The B&W G3, Sawtooth, and the Gigabit Ethernet G4 all have a different power supply. None of them are drop in compatible with an ATX power supply.

macosx1058
Aug 31, 2012, 07:46 PM
The B&W G3, Sawtooth, and the Gigabit Ethernet G4 all have a different power supply. None of them are drop in compatible with an ATX power supply.

will the PSU from a QuickSilver work?

Intell
Aug 31, 2012, 07:48 PM
No. I believe only a Gigabit Ethernet will work in a Gigabit Ethernet G4. The only other one that may work is the Digital Audio one, but I don't think it's compatible.

macosx1058
Aug 31, 2012, 08:02 PM
No. I believe only a Gigabit Ethernet will work in a Gigabit Ethernet G4. The only other one that may work is the Digital Audio one, but I don't think it's compatible.

only Desktop i can find is a Power Computing Powercenter Pro 210 G3 upgraded has OS 9.2 installed can this run OS X? can anyone tell me any info about this clone?

Intell
Aug 31, 2012, 08:05 PM
If it has a G3, it can very likely run 10.3 or 10.4 without a problem. Check out XPostFactor's website for more information about that.

How are you going to be doing the internet sharing?

macosx1058
Aug 31, 2012, 08:14 PM
If it has a G3, it can very likely run 10.3 or 10.4 without a problem. Check out XPostFactor's website for more information about that.

How are you going to be doing the internet sharing?

I will but sharing it via Wifi i will install a PCI AirPort Extreme card and hook the modem up via eathernet and share it over the AirPort

Intell
Aug 31, 2012, 08:31 PM
A G4 Cube would work for that with the Airport B card or even an iBook or Powerbook. Sharing via Airport limits the network encryption to WEP and most ad-hoc networks (which is what the Airport internet sharing is) and devices connecting to an ad-hoc network only operate in B mode.

macosx1058
Aug 31, 2012, 09:13 PM
ok cool thanks. This is just a possible project no idea when or if it will happen but thanks for the info

seveej
Sep 4, 2012, 12:57 PM
I was looking for a Internet Server Mac one in which i can use soley for Internet Sharing.

Hiya,

I used to have a G3 iBook doing exactly that.
The machine in question was a Late 2001 (this one: http://www.everymac.com/systems/apple/ibook/specs/ibook_500_late_2001.html), which I had beefed up with a bigger HD (120 gigs).
It ran from 2009 to february of 2012 with an uptime of 99,99%.

I had it in clamshell mode (circumvented the sensor with a piece of metal), with two wires running into it (power and LAN), up the backside of a bookshelf. The machine itself was among some books and no-one saw it for what it was.

If the only thing you want to serve are light websites (and maybe printers), I can recommend this approach.

RGDS,
Pekka