PDA

View Full Version : Updating iTunes apps?

samdev
Aug 31, 2012, 09:37 PM
I know that XCode 4 does not delete old resource files, on both the Simulator and iPhone devices,
when debugging apps. I have to reset everything to get back to a clean slate.

Question is, does iTunes work the same way as XCode? Or does it completely replace the
app bundle when updating?

ArtOfWarfare
Aug 31, 2012, 10:13 PM
Xcode works the same way. Resources are replaced during updates. Documents and shared preferences are not. Apple has a more extensive list somewhere in their docs saying which directories are and are not cleared during app updates.

samdev
Sep 1, 2012, 11:11 AM
Xcode works the same way. Resources are replaced during updates. Documents and shared preferences are not. Apple has a more extensive list somewhere in their docs saying which directories are and are not cleared during app updates.

I understand that resources are overwritten or replaced. My concern is resources that are
moved during an update. For example, an app that has now been localized (images, nibs, etc...).

So, if iTunes works like XCode, there will now be two conflicting copies of the same resource
in different locations.

You may say then, well, don't move it! Well, doesn't help, because when you start localizing files,
XCode creates new folders called en.lproj, es.lproj, etc... and moves all of your original files
into these folders. So, your files are moved, whether you like it or not.

ArtOfWarfare
Sep 1, 2012, 03:37 PM
And what's the issue with localized files being moved? I had an app that was originally English only... I had no issues when I added a German localization.

PhoneyDeveloper
Sep 1, 2012, 03:55 PM
Installing an ipa file with iTunes is NOT like installing an app from within Xcode. The entire bundle is replaced when an app is installed as an ad hoc or from the app store.

You can easily test this with an ad hoc install over an existing install.

samdev
Sep 1, 2012, 08:29 PM
And what's the issue with localized files being moved? I had an app that was originally English only... I had no issues when I added a German localization.

Before the update, all non-localized files are dumped into the top bundle folder.

After the update, if these non-localized files still exist, they will get loaded first.
iOS will ignore your localized files.

PhoneyDeveloper Installing an ipa file with iTunes is NOT like installing an app from within Xcode.

I hope so!