PDA

View Full Version : PowerBook G4?

w00t951
Aug 31, 2012, 10:34 PM
Does Apple still have some PowerBook G4s in stock at retail stores? If they do, would it be possible to buy one?

Also, it would be nice to know if they have any pre-unibody Macs in stock.

Thanks!

macosx1058
Aug 31, 2012, 10:41 PM
Does Apple still have some PowerBook G4s in stock at retail stores? If they do, would it be possible to buy one?

Thanks!

its not likely the PowerPCs have not been sold since 2005. There is sites you can get brand new or refurb PowerPCs however they are cheaper on eBay it is possible they could have some but its not likely

Lil Chillbil
Aug 31, 2012, 11:20 PM

Thanks!

Are you fricking kidding me?

If this is not a troll post I don't know what is

btbrossard
Aug 31, 2012, 11:59 PM
Did someone hit their head recently?

ihuman:D
Sep 1, 2012, 04:53 AM
Did someone hit their head recently?

LOL! Yeah.

Goftrey
Sep 1, 2012, 06:17 AM
Sure they do. Pick up a brand new performa for me while you're there.

Intell
Sep 1, 2012, 06:53 AM
Sure they do. Pick up a brand new performa for me while you're there.

Oh yes, specifically ask for the Performa 6200. Best of them all.

w00t951
Sep 1, 2012, 10:36 AM
Why all the pissy responses? They stock first gen iPods with the turning click wheel for replacements, so why not older portables as well?

MagicBoy
Sep 1, 2012, 10:39 AM
How many computer shops have you been in recently that still stock items that were discontinued over 6 years ago?

"Hello, I'd like to buy a laptop that's a dead architecture and no longer supported. Can you help me?"

As for the iPods, I really doubt that. They dropped out of warranty last century.

Intell
Sep 1, 2012, 10:40 AM
They don't keep first generation iPods in stock. They're listed as obsolete and aren't kept anywhere. The oldest iPod they may have is the 5th generation iPod. And they might have that because those are listed as vintage. Laptops and desktops are not kept on site for swap outs unless they are the current or previous model. Even the newest Powerbook G4 is listed as vintage and Apple may refuse to service them.

G51989
Sep 1, 2012, 10:44 AM
How many computer shops have you been in recently that still stock items that were discontinued over 6 years ago?

"Hello, I'd like to buy a laptop that's a dead architecture and no longer supported. Can you help me?"

As for the iPods, I really doubt that. They dropped out of warranty last century.

There was actually a place up near Pittsburgh called compugig, a dell retailer/PC shop ( was up to visit fam ), and they had a brand new G5 still in the box, I almost dished out the 500 bucks they wanted.

Almost.

MagicBoy
Sep 1, 2012, 10:53 AM
There was actually a place up near Pittsburgh called compugig, a dell retailer/PC shop ( was up to visit fam ), and they had a brand new G5 still in the box, I almost dished out the 500 bucks they wanted.

Almost.

OK exception to the rule. There's no chance of a big retailer, or an Apple store having stock of this age. My experience of PC retail was that items that went discontinued got returned to the warehouse if it didn't sell on clearance within a couple of weeks.

Zeke D
Sep 1, 2012, 12:43 PM

Almost.
Yeah but compugig is in cranberry. There are closer places in dormont off the "T" or in Scott township off the highway. Heck there is a decent place near south hills village. Catch a movie at the carmike and browse computer gear.... Wait carmike sucks just go to the destinta instead...

Intell
Sep 1, 2012, 12:48 PM
Don't forget the Good Will Computer Store in Lawrenceville, was on East Carson street. A bit high priced for the older Macs, but plenty of old computer parts. When I say high priced, I mean $300 for a stock Cube and $100 for a G3 iMac. Haven't tried offering a more realistic price with them, but I don't think it'll work anyways.

G51989
Sep 1, 2012, 12:58 PM
Yeah but compugig is in cranberry. There are closer places in dormont off the "T" or in Scott township off the highway. Heck there is a decent place near south hills village. Catch a movie at the carmike and browse computer gear.... Wait carmike sucks just go to the destinta instead...

Hahaha well I have family who lives in Mars/ZTown. I just stopped in to see if the guy had anything cool. And he does, I don't go back up to PA very often.

Zeke D
Sep 1, 2012, 01:04 PM
Don't forget the Good Will Computer Store in Lawrenceville, was on East Carson street. A bit high priced for the older Macs, but plenty of old computer parts. When I say high priced, I mean $300 for a stock Cube and $100 for a G3 iMac. Haven't tried offering a more realistic price with them, but I don't think it'll work anyways.

There's a nice place in bridgeville, next to an awesome comic book shop, but I had not been there since I moved to mt lebonan. Back in the day I was more interested in playing MTG than messing with computers.

----------

Hahaha well I have family who lives in Mars/ZTown. I just stopped in to see if the guy had anything cool. And he does, I don't go back up to PA very often.

I have family all over PA. I haven't lived there since '03. I refuse to go back there, the people are crazy! My sister got all butt hurt when I didn't fly to PA for Her wedding. I got as far away from my family as i could while still staying in the USA.

G51989
Sep 1, 2012, 03:16 PM
I have family all over PA. I haven't lived there since '03. I refuse to go back there, the people are crazy! My sister got all butt hurt when I didn't fly to PA for Her wedding. I got as far away from my family as i could while still staying in the USA.

I feel that, I moved down to Tally In FLA, got a good job at a local Big Blue office.

But the compugig guy always has the coolest stuff in cranberry, his prices are awesome to, I love his ' getto gaming rig ".

He bought a huge pile of old Dell Optiplex's, 6gb DDR2 RAM, Pentium D 3.4ghz, 500gig hard drives, got em for 50 bucks apiece from whole sale, bought like 100 of em. Jammed ****** ATi 5000 series something in them.

Sells em for 230 bucks, talk about value for money lol.

Zeke D
Sep 1, 2012, 03:23 PM
I feel that, I moved down to Tally In FLA, got a good job at a local Big Blue office.

But the compugig guy always has the coolest stuff in cranberry, his prices are awesome to, I love his ' getto gaming rig ".

He bought a huge pile of old Dell Optiplex's, 6gb DDR2 RAM, Pentium D 3.4ghz, 500gig hard drives, got em for 50 bucks apiece from whole sale, bought like 100 of em. Jammed ****** ATi 5000 series something in them.

Sells em for 230 bucks, talk about value for money lol.

I have family in Tampa as well. It looks as if my Father will be moving from MI to FL.

G51989
Sep 1, 2012, 03:36 PM
I have family in Tampa as well. It looks as if my Father will be moving from MI to FL.

Avoid Tampa, I'm a Tallahassee guy. All the benefits of FLA. Without hurricanes, or living expenses lol.

Zeke D
Sep 1, 2012, 03:50 PM
Avoid Tampa, I'm a Tallahassee guy. All the benefits of FLA. Without hurricanes, or living expenses lol.

lol indeed!

adcx64
Sep 1, 2012, 04:11 PM
Philly

Nuff said

Intell
Sep 1, 2012, 04:30 PM
Philly

Nuff said

Ewww. That's the strange side of PA. Everyone knows the happening fun side is Pittsburgh.

Zeke D
Sep 1, 2012, 04:33 PM
Ewww. That's the strange side of PA. Everyone knows the happening fun side is Pittsburgh.

were you around for the 2002 gubanatorial race? dude lost over a sandwich.

G51989
Sep 1, 2012, 06:30 PM
Philly

Nuff said

Nuff Said.

Davy.Shalom
Sep 1, 2012, 08:35 PM
No Marty McFly, in 2012 you can buy Intel macs...

bengi
Sep 2, 2012, 01:40 AM
Thanks!

I know what are you talking about. A couple of year ago I spotted on eBay a NIB (new in box) PowerBook 5300 ce, I was about to pay what they were asking - I recall almost 1000 usd...

add the acronym NIB or the word MINT in your ebay searches, maybe one day you can find one!