PDA

View Full Version : How do I know if my MBA discharged propely?

shonor6
Sep 1, 2012, 01:56 AM
I've had the 2012 13" for about three weeks now, and the time for the first discharge has come. When battery reached about 5% I closed everything and waited. When it reached like 2% it said that the computer will go into standby if it won't be connected to a power source, which of course is something that I don't want that'll happen. So I quickly entered power settings and set "Computer sleep" from like 15 minutes to never. I didn't find an option to avoid going to sleep because of a lack of battery.

Anyways, what could I do. I waited until the computer shut down (or went to sleep, IDK). I've waited some more just to make sure and I didn't see any LEDs flashing so I assumed the computer is completely shut down. Plugged into the power and waited until it fully charged.

The problem is when I disconnected the power cable and hit the power button - the log on screen appeared and NOT the usual start up process (with the Apple logo and all). So I'm thinking - maybe the computer was asleep and it never even discharged?

So any help determining what actually happened?

Thanks and sorry for making the point after so much text...

simsaladimbamba
Sep 1, 2012, 02:15 AM
You actually don't need to discharge your MBA's battery completely.

The second part of this post (http://forums.macrumors.com/showpost.php?p=15563735&postcount=29)(when the quote begins), is the part with the information, the first part could be helpful too though.

shonor6
Sep 1, 2012, 02:37 AM
Thank you. I read a bit in Apple's website and I ran into some "how to see how many cycles has your Mac done".

Anyway, my mac has done 29 cycles, and I own it only like 3 weeks... Is that normal? I rarely let it reach 100%, usually I disconnect it at about 95% and reconnect it at about 15%. That's because Apple states that it's not good to keep the MBA connected all day long. Am I doing everything optimally? Or should I be using the mac differently?

Cheers.

simsaladimbamba
Sep 1, 2012, 02:47 AM
Thank you. I read a bit in Apple's website and I ran into some "how to see how many cycles has your Mac done".

Anyway, my mac has done 29 cycles, and I own it only like 3 weeks... Is that normal? I rarely let it reach 100%, usually I disconnect it at about 95% and reconnect it at about 15%. That's because Apple states that it's not good to keep the MBA connected all day long. Am I doing everything optimally? Or should I be using the mac differently?

Cheers.

No need to use your Mac on battery when you have access to a power adapter.
The post I linked to has a link to a Apple Notebook Battery FAQ. Read that too, and you should be good to go.

shonor6
Sep 1, 2012, 02:58 AM
I get it. So be connected to power cord for 2-3 days, then disconnect it and let it reach about 50%, reconnect, 2-3 days etc'. Additionally as Apple recommends, partially discharge battery every month - let it go to sleep and then fully charge again. Or would I just be better off without that part?
Air conditioning on exactly 22 Celsius and my battery will be optimally maintained.

I know I'm kind of accurate, but I'm a complete nazi when it comes to that stuff lol.

tersono
Sep 1, 2012, 03:28 AM
You're overthinking this by a fairly considerable amount, mate ;)

My laptops have always been plugged in whenever they're not being used - and stay that way until I next need the machine. I've always used 'em on battery several times per week, so the battery gets 'exercised'. Sometimes I will run a laptop connected to an external screen, and then it's run from the power adaptor.

I still get about 4 years from a battery (which is around the expected life of a lithium laptop battery whether used or not).

Just use the thing normally and you'll be fine...

shonor6
Sep 1, 2012, 03:33 AM
Haha okay, I apologize for being a pain in the ass but I just want everything to be perfect.

BTW I read further on and at some point the guy said that apple's "unibody" computers don't require regular calibration, so...

Anyway, thanks for everything.

plucky duck
Sep 1, 2012, 05:21 AM
I don't go out of my way to use the battery if I don't need to exclusively. I know it'll be used at least 2-3 times a month and will get down to about 35% and that's good enough for me. I am slightly over a month with a 22 charge cycle. 1000 to me means 3yrs at my rate. I've been told battery replacement cost from apple store is less than $200 so I am not worried at all, as by that time it may already have been sold for the latest model.

Mrbobb
Sep 1, 2012, 06:05 AM
If u disable sleep when batt low, then when computer runs down completely, it's gonna CRASH, the reason for that other screen to came on.

Modern LION batts don't need to be discharged completely, this was the case with old NICD of our grandfather's, but somehow the partial knowledge still seeps through.

Ricanlegend
Sep 1, 2012, 06:37 AM
If u disable sleep when batt low, then when computer runs down completely, it's gonna CRASH, the reason for that other screen to came on.

Modern LION batts don't need to be discharged completely, this was the case with old NICD of our grandfather's, but somehow the partial knowledge still seeps through.

To the OP think of the computer as your cell phone do you keep plugged all day ? Nope just use it . If you going to be just surfing the web I just let the battery died completely when that happen that means I been on the computer to long :) or if you gaming just keep it plugged in or else you will barely get 2 hours with only battery. I remember when I got my first Mac I was over thinking just like you :)

GGJstudios
Sep 5, 2012, 12:00 PM
Run on battery whenever you need to and plug it in whenever you can. You can plug or unplug at any time, regardless of the charged percentage. Just make sure you don't run on AC power all the time, as your battery needs to be used regularly to stay healthy. This should answer most, if not all, of your battery/charging questions:
Apple Notebook Battery FAQ (http://forums.macrumors.com/showpost.php?p=9875442&postcount=23)