PDA

View Full Version : Will 11inch MBA ever have a SD Card slot??

ihawkins01
Sep 1, 2012, 07:11 AM
Hi there,

I really want to buy the 11inch MBA; it is pretty much perfect for what I want, a portable device that's thin etc etc.

However, I really would like it to have a SD slot like on the 13inch. This is because I am planning on travelling for a long time next year and would like the ease of transferring photos and editing them as I go.

I know you can get an adapter, but its just more peripherals to have to remember!

I have read somewhere that the size may restrict a SD slot ever being placed on the 11inch, is this true? Will the 2013 MBA feature one?

Sep 1, 2012, 07:15 AM
the 11" will never have an sd slot.

why not connect the camera direct to the air via a usb cable?!

ImperialX
Sep 1, 2012, 07:20 AM
You do realize that transferring photos via. USB is faster than SD card reader?

If you have a full-frame DSLR and shoot photos in RAW, you'd know how important this is.

ihawkins01
Sep 1, 2012, 07:23 AM
i have 550d dslr...it has a hdmi port (which MBA doesnt) and a A/V out digital...but it doesnt beat the ease of just slotting in SD card like i do on my current laptop, connecting the 2 relies on carrying around an extra cable aswell

iamsen47
Sep 1, 2012, 07:49 AM
Maybe one day someone will decide to invent a micro SD card reader.

Oh wait... :confused:

http://www.varologic.com/blog/Images/Elecom_micro_sd_card_reader.jpg (http://www.varologic.com/blog/post/2009/02/19/Elecom-introduces-new-MicroSD-Micro-USB-Card-Reader.aspx)

I don't really care much for it, but if they ever decided to put a card reader in an 11", I'd rather a microSD reader than the current one.

robvas
Sep 1, 2012, 12:19 PM
http://i.imgur.com/XArpD.jpg

There you go!

iAppl3Fan
Sep 1, 2012, 03:42 PM
the 11" will never have an sd slot.

why not connect the camera direct to the air via a usb cable?!

Never say never. Maybe in 10-20 years...lol

Sep 1, 2012, 05:42 PM
Never say never. Maybe in 10-20 years...lol

Never... Fact

ChristianJapan
Sep 1, 2012, 06:08 PM
Never... Fact

Agree ... It's more the the other way around...my Canon video camera can connect to any WIFi to transfer files via FTP. No playing around with cable anymore (in theory; a less good UX in reality).
The flagship DSLR from Canon also has WiFi build in; Samsung get even a phone into the camera etc.

So, no SD slot in MBA as its like optical device on the road to become obsolete.

chrfr
Sep 1, 2012, 06:41 PM
You do realize that transferring photos via. USB is faster than SD card reader?

Not true at this point; Apple's internal SD card readers are not USB devices, they're right on the PCI express bus so the only speed limitation is that of the card itself.

ixodes
Sep 1, 2012, 06:54 PM
Apple has avoided an SD card slot because:

1) They're too useful
2) It's too easy to do
3) Their customers would be too happy
4) It involves too much common sense
5) Other laptop makers use them
6) Well.... You get the idea... :D

Simple, easy & smart, are hallmarks of the _old_ Apple.

Mrbobb
Sep 1, 2012, 06:59 PM
Are u people SURE? (you have done this alot) transferring camera -> laptop via cable is better?

OK am a few years behind, but camera's USB port used to be too slow, and it takes camera's juice (expensive battery if not rechargeable) to xfer via cable. Straight memory cards used to be the way to do this.

Now, memory cards these days are big enough a single 16 GB card can carry LOTS of shots, and they aren't that expensive. So if you are serious photographer and you carry a 1/2 dozen 16GB cards, that's not enough?

Wokis
Sep 2, 2012, 12:52 AM
Not true at this point; Apple's internal SD card readers are not USB devices, they're right on the PCI express bus so the only speed limitation is that of the card itself.
Though according to Anandtech (http://www.anandtech.com/show/6063/macbook-air-13inch-mid-2012-review/2) the SD card reader in MBA has its speed capped at 40MB/s. If one would have a faster card than that..

ihawkins01
Sep 2, 2012, 12:13 PM
haha, yeah this will be my first mac, but it does seem strange some of apples decisions; well maybe a sd drive wont ever be added.

I looked at the 11inch Asus...which also doesn't have one; maybe these machines are just too small. Though still unsure about getting the 2012 MBA, just in-case the 2013 model has one; I would be so gutted!

I realise some may not use sd at all, but for me I use it all the time; also there it would be really nice to have say, a 128gb sd card permanently in as storage for films/photos etc.

Apple has avoided an SD card slot because:

1) They're too useful
2) It's too easy to do
3) Their customers would be too happy
4) It involves too much common sense
5) Other laptop makers use them
6) Well.... You get the idea... :D

Simple, easy & smart, are hallmarks of the _old_ Apple.

Wokis
Sep 2, 2012, 12:24 PM
haha, yeah this will be my first mac, but it does seem strange some of apples decisions; well maybe a sd drive wont ever be added.

I looked at the 11inch Asus...which also doesn't have one; maybe these machines are just too small. Though still unsure about getting the 2012 MBA, just in-case the 2013 model has one; I would be so gutted!

I realise some may not use sd at all, but for me I use it all the time; also there it would be really nice to have say, a 128gb sd card permanently in as storage for films/photos etc.

Many netbooks managed to fit one or even two SD card slots in them so I'm sure apple would be able to as well should they try harder. I don't find it likely that they will. But you never know.

However macbook SD-card slots usually can't fit a card so it sits flush to the case. A third or so sticks out from it. That's why it'll be nice to have the nifty minidrive (http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1342319572/the-nifty-minidrive) when it comes. Although current microSD-cards only come in up to 64GB.

Klingi
Sep 2, 2012, 12:31 PM
Nope, the 11" will probably never have a SD Card slot solely because of the minimal design. There is just enough space on the 13" model to fit it in.