PDA

View Full Version : My MBA '12 iCarbons Skin: Almost perfect

RightMACatU
Sep 1, 2012, 01:29 PM
Just completed the installation of the 3-part carbon fiber skin from iCarbons on my 2012 13" MBA.

Easy to do, looks awesome and is almost a perfect fit. I did not do the trackpad and Apple Logo (just a personal pref).

Where the skin lost points was perhaps at the worst place. The top lid skin, when aligned with the Apple logo falls short by about 1 to 1.5 mm from the front hedge... See pics with arrows.

Bottom Line: A $50 well invested IMO.

RightMACatU
Sep 1, 2012, 01:31 PM
Two more pics (due to 5 pics limit in OP)

Dark Void
Sep 1, 2012, 01:47 PM
I think it looks great - wouldn't worry about it not fitting exactly or whatever, can barely even see what you are talking about. Good work on the installation.

TheRealDamager
Sep 1, 2012, 01:50 PM
They are offering a Labor Day Sale - 25% off with code "LABOR25".

I have the brushed aluminum on a couple of Airs and love it.

dbdynsty25
Sep 1, 2012, 03:28 PM
That's outstanding. I don't really want the black look on my rMBP, but it appears you can purchase skins for just the bottom, which is exactly what I'm looking for. Thanks for the pics/review. Makes my decision easy!

plucky duck
Sep 1, 2012, 03:37 PM
Is this mainly for aesthetics or for protection from marks and scrapes? Looks nice, but I'd hesitate to get one for the fact that it doesn't really offer any real protection from drops and dents much.

TheRealDamager
Sep 1, 2012, 03:39 PM
Mostly scratches and scrapes.

glen e
Sep 1, 2012, 04:21 PM
they also sell the bottom and top in the exact same alum color so you get protection without any change in look:
http://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h307/gersly123/4ad7bec05c093a04bcd402bb2eda0362.jpg

dbdynsty25
Sep 1, 2012, 05:01 PM
they also sell the bottom and top in the exact same alum color so you get protection without any change in look

That's what I just bought...for the bottom of my rMBP. Don't want to worry about what's on the tables and all that stuff. Don't need the rest of the protection, so it's all good.

hfg
Sep 1, 2012, 05:23 PM
You really should try it with the red carbon-fiber "apple/leaf" over the Apple logo on the cover. It is slightly smaller (1/16") than the apple shaped hole in the black skin such that not only does it glow red, there is a bright white outline around the apple and the leaf. There is also a white carbon-fiber apple/leaf which does the same thing. Looks pretty neat... :cool:

-howard

RightMACatU
Sep 1, 2012, 06:51 PM
You really should try it with the red carbon-fiber "apple/leaf" over the Apple logo on the cover. It is slightly smaller (1/16") than the apple shaped hole in the black skin such that not only does it glow red, there is a bright white outline around the apple and the leaf. There is also a white carbon-fiber apple/leaf which does the same thing. Looks pretty neat... :cool:

-howard

Too late for the red logo... my 13 year old ran off with it and pimped up his Touch :D

chacolo
Sep 2, 2012, 08:38 AM
Good job !

hfg
Sep 2, 2012, 02:38 PM

-howard

Here is what it looks like:

(btw: they are 25% off this Labor Day weekend at iCarbons)

daveishere
Sep 2, 2012, 02:51 PM
Never see the sense in why people chose to whack stickers over Jony Ive's beautiful designs.

Ah well, each to their own.

glen e
Sep 2, 2012, 04:35 PM
Never see the sense in why people chose to whack stickers over Jony Ive's beautiful designs.

because "Jony" did not make it indestructible.....it's not a statue, it's a business/personal tool made of bare metal that gets scratched in some environments...

never understand why people who cant understand that, cant understand that....

Ah well, each to their own....LOL

plucky duck
Sep 2, 2012, 05:09 PM
Apple products are fashionable products, and with it comes many accessories that compliment it, whether it be fashionable and practical, or otherwise. I could care less what other people do to accessorize their Air that they paid for.

Value is in the eye of the beholder. I see value in the skin, just not at that price point. I am personally more happy spending double that amount for a Sena folio case that offers much better protection and peace of mind.

Meh, to each their own :p As long as everyone is happy with their purchases that's all it matters.

RightMACatU
Sep 2, 2012, 07:08 PM
They are offering a Labor Day Sale - 25% off with code "LABOR25".

I have the brushed aluminum on a couple of Airs and love it.

Sweet! Just put in an order with that code for some more skin.... wait a minute, that didn't come out right :D Let's just say that I got something for two other devices :cool:

Barna Biro
Sep 2, 2012, 07:14 PM

I'm with you on this one... To be honest, I find all the above "mods" horrific ( except the aluminium skin... although I lack to see the point of it. Protection against scratches? Nah, it can still get scratched fairly easily... ) ... but yeah, that's me. Would not stick stuff like that on my machine even if God himself would ask me to do so. :)

Mrbobb
Sep 2, 2012, 07:18 PM
Q1. Does this kind of skin helps to blunt the sharp front edge?

Q2. Are you not afraid the notebook will run warmer now?

hfg
Sep 2, 2012, 07:29 PM

Jony Ive's beautiful designs apply to the shape, layout, and functionality of the MacBook Air ... not to the color of aluminum.

The skins do nothing to detract from this shape ... they only add about a half mm to the thickness, unlike the kludgy hard plastic snap on covers which totally distort the shape, trap dirt underneath, and cause higher operating temperatures.

Plus ... aluminum is hard to hold on to ... the skins are "grippy" and less likely to slip out of your hand when carrying it around. ;)

----------

Q1. Does this kind of skin helps to blunt the sharp front edge?

Q2. Are you not afraid the notebook will run warmer now?

Doesn't really cover the front edge of the machine, but if it is on a table, the Air is so thin that the palm rest starts pretty close to the table surface anyway. Of course, proper typing posture :) dictates that your wrists are held high, not touching the palm rests (or so I was taught).

The iCarbon skins are very thin and attached with a light adhesive so there is no insulating trapped air, so the skin will heat and radiate similar to the case of the computer.

Cases which are made of hard plastic and snap on leave a static air gap between them and the chassis,which acts as a thermal insulator. They could cause somewhat higher operating temperatures.

3bs
Sep 2, 2012, 07:44 PM
Has anyone tried using this under a case? I'm thinking of using this under my Speck case which is clear.

stchman
Sep 2, 2012, 09:31 PM

The MBA is not indestructible. You can get the brushed aluminum skin that matches the stock look.

FieldingMellish
Sep 3, 2012, 03:16 AM
Many who see the black carbon fiber pattern iCarbon on my 11 inch admire it. It's been wonderful in use. I sometimes visit a production shop where I open the laptop on imperfect table surfaces near where wood or plastic cutting has taken place. This kind of devil-may-care usage predominates and the MBA still looks new. For general carrying, I will put it into a padded sleeve that will help stem problems from outright drops.

daveishere
Sep 3, 2012, 09:04 AM
The MBA is not indestructible. You can get the brushed aluminum skin that matches the stock look.

And a sticker off ebay will make it bomb proof?

I'd much rather spend some money on a nice case (i have knomo leather sleeve for my air) and take good care of my laptop when its out of the case.

TheRealDamager
Sep 3, 2012, 09:45 AM
And a sticker off ebay will make it bomb proof?

I'd much rather spend some money on a nice case (i have knomo leather sleeve for my air) and take good care of my laptop when its out of the case.

Silly post. The aluminum scratches very, very easily. The sticker (it's really much more than than) keeps the surface pristine.

glen e
Sep 3, 2012, 10:11 AM
Search 3M Di-noc - it is much more than just a sticker...great stuff for car interior pieces as well...

daveishere
Sep 3, 2012, 03:52 PM
Silly post. The aluminum scratches very, very easily. The sticker (it's really much more than than) keeps the surface pristine.

No it doesn't. I've had my air for around a month now and still literally looks as good as new.

Belgrano
Sep 3, 2012, 06:54 PM
I'm sick of every discussion about bags/sleeves/cases/skins decaying into a debate about whether macs should ever be covered.

How 'bout this? If you have no interest in purchasing a bag/sleeve/case/skin, then just shut the hell up and don't read threads about those things.

No one has to justify their interest in a bag/sleeve/case/skin to you. Go away. You're obstructing my product info gathering.

PS: Thanks to OP for the pics and info. I've been eying the iCarbons for a while.

glen e
Sep 3, 2012, 06:56 PM
I'm sick of every discussion about bags/sleeves/cases/skins decaying into a debate about whether macs should ever be covered.

How 'bout this? If you have no interest in purchasing a bag/sleeve/case/skin, then just shut the hell up and don't read threads about those things.

No one has to justify their interest in a bag/sleeve/case/skin to you. Go away. You're obstructing my product info gathering.

thank you....

Belgrano
Sep 3, 2012, 07:14 PM
Also, while I'm on here ranting...

Anyone hear anything about the white iCarbons skin? I think it's cool, but I'm sure it will stain/ become discolored a bit easier. Any thoughts?

glen e
Sep 3, 2012, 07:27 PM
Also, while I'm on here ranting...

Anyone hear anything about the white iCarbons skin? I think it's cool, but I'm sure it will stain/ become discolored a bit easier. Any thoughts?

I used a white ivcabons on the back of my pad for the entire summer on the road - did not stain or abrade at all...Looks great under a clear back, I ran it back and backless....

TheRealDamager
Sep 3, 2012, 08:51 PM
No it doesn't. I've had my air for around a month now and still literally looks as good as new.

Wow - a whole MONTH? Then we should definitely bow to your expertise. I've had 4 Air's over the past 3-4 years, and I can tell you the aluminum scratches very easily. That may not matter to you, but that is why people apply these skins.

BeeJee
Sep 3, 2012, 10:45 PM
Wow - a whole MONTH? Then we should definitely bow to your expertise. I've had 4 Air's over the past 3-4 years, and I can tell you the aluminum scratches very easily. That may not matter to you, but that is why people apply these skins.

The aluminum does scratch VERY easily. I've always wondered how people say that it is so scratch resistant. All my electronics are naked and besides the back on the touch's this is pretty much the most prone to scratches out of any of my other devices, like the apple tv remote. Love the look though and the laptop is for computing not just looking good, which I admit is a plus and a factor. :D

dbdynsty25
Sep 4, 2012, 12:21 AM
Ahhh...the downsides of a Tungsten wedding ring...scratches the hell out of the aluminum MacBooks quite easily when you try to take your computer out of the bag. I've resorted to strictly using my right hand...for taking it out of the bag sickos. :)

daveishere
Sep 4, 2012, 10:16 AM

Well maybe you don't look after your gear as well as you should do.

TheRealDamager
Sep 4, 2012, 10:20 AM
Well maybe you don't look after your gear as well as you should do.

Yes, I'm sure thats it. :rolleyes:

tuxon86
Sep 4, 2012, 10:32 AM
Does it leaves a residue when you peel it off?
More importantly, can you peel it off?

TheRealDamager
Sep 4, 2012, 10:44 AM
It peels right off and leaves no residue of any kind.

FieldingMellish
Sep 4, 2012, 11:35 AM
iCarbons use one of 3M's best vinyl products in its production. That is a material I have bought by the roll for a sign shop and it's far from cheap. It's a control-tac self adhesive with micro tracks to help push air bubbles out when installing it. That's why a self-install by the inexperienced come out so well in comparison to, say, doing an iPhone screen skin application. It's also thicker than many realize. In short, the 3M product used in iCarbons is tough and easy to install.

3bs
Sep 4, 2012, 01:09 PM
I just ordered a black set for my 11'' and I'm really excited to see how it looks :D

Also the installation videos show you a good way for how to put them on so I'm not that worried about the installation anymore.

So no one has tried using a case over these skins? Like a Speck case for example.

3bs
Sep 4, 2012, 01:10 PM
I just ordered a black set for my 11'' and I'm really excited to see how it looks :D

Also the installation videos show you a good way for how to put them on so I'm not that worried about the installation anymore.

So no one has tried using a case over these skins? A Speck case for example.

Edit: sorry for the double post.

TheRealDamager
Sep 4, 2012, 02:55 PM

So no one has tried using a case over these skins? Like a Speck case for example.

If you follow the video instructions carefully, you'll find it a "no stress" process. I've applied plenty of the "wet applied" skins, where you have to stress about bubbles and such - this is nothing like that. It's very straightforward and easy.

andrewmcd11
Sep 5, 2012, 12:12 PM
Does the skin come with a sticker to cover the apple logo?

hfg
Sep 5, 2012, 12:19 PM
Does the skin come with a sticker to cover the apple logo?

The black carbon fiber ones come with 2 apple/leaf stickers (red and white) as shown earlier in the thread. The other colors come with suitable contrasting stickers.

-howard

RightMACatU
Sep 6, 2012, 06:21 AM
--- UPDATE on my top skin issue in OP.

It took a few pictures and an email to have iCarbons send me a free replacement. I will post on removing and replacing the skin when it comes in.

iCarbons FTW :cool:

3bs
Sep 6, 2012, 06:28 AM

It took a few pictures and an email to have iCarbons send me a free replacement. I will post on removing and replacing the skin when it comes in.

That's great news. I guess it means there was something wrong with the one they sent you and not the product itself? At least I hope that's what it means because mine should be arriving in a week or 2.

RightMACatU
Sep 18, 2012, 05:38 PM

--- September 18 UPDATE ---

Received a new top skin from iCarbons today and compared measurements: they're identical, so I will not remove the original skin to replace it. I can live with the 'extra space' shown in OP.

Thank you iCarbons for the excellent service and free replacement. :cool:

tsboy69
Sep 18, 2012, 06:06 PM
Have the Moshi palm rests and the iCarbons Aluminum bottom skin. Fit perfectly. I like the feel and look..

Good luck all@

jcbauerca
Sep 26, 2012, 05:45 PM

PS: Thanks to OP for the pics and info. I've been eying the iCarbons for a while.

Hear Hear

Brian Mage
Sep 26, 2012, 06:17 PM
I've never understood the entire sticker market.
People are so worried that they might scratch their beautiful mac so they go and lump a great big sticker on it so they can't even see the mac they are trying not to scratch.

glen e
Sep 26, 2012, 06:27 PM
People are so worried that they might scratch their beautiful mac so they go and lump a great big sticker on it so they can't even see the mac they are trying not to scratch.

Again nobody asked you to understand it........

TheRealDamager
Sep 26, 2012, 08:21 PM

It's...not...a...sticker. It protects, adds grip, and looks great. If you still don't understand, then don't buy it - I understand. But don't thread-crap where people who want this are talking about it.