PDA

View Full Version : Can I launch programs via key command? (with caveat)

JT3Jon
Sep 1, 2012, 03:08 PM
Hello,

I'm new to Lion (just purchased a Macbook Pro yesterday) and overall I'm very happy with the new OS. I'm coming from 10.6 so this is a huge jump to me.

Anyway, I'm wondering if its possible to launch programs via key commands? If so, then once a program is launched, is it possible make it so that the key commands no longer launch programs? Like putting a caviat like when a program is in full screen mode, the launch key commands no longer launch apps?

For example, lets say I'm able to make command-M open mail, and Command-L open Logic pro. While working in full screen Logic pro, is it possible that command-M no longer opens mail, but is now a key command again for Logic Pro (which I believe opens the mixer)? That of course assuming it possible to launch apps via key command in the first place.

Thanks in advance for the help and reply! While you're here, any cool new Lion features you recommend I check out? I was extremely happy that mail in Lion auto-configured my Yahoo account and I can now use Yahoo mail inside apple's mail app thanks to iCloud!! This was not possible in 10.6. :cool:

robgendreau
Sep 1, 2012, 04:38 PM
You should check out LaunchBar. Although it's not free, it's an extremely useful tool for those who like to work from the keyboard.

It will launch anything with a couple of keystrokes, or start an email, or run a script, or perform a calculation, or search for something, and on and on. It's a must-have for Macs IMHO.