PDA

View Full Version : How did you decide which size Air you went for?

Martylaa
Sep 1, 2012, 04:41 PM
I am torn between the 11" and the 13" MacBook Air, I want it for travelling, work emails, Internet browsing, games and FaceTime.
How did you decide on a size?

kierennyc
Sep 1, 2012, 04:44 PM
After reading through 99% of the million threads about this very subject on here, I ended up tossing a coin and got an 11'.

dbdynsty25
Sep 1, 2012, 04:59 PM
I went with the 11" last year and regretted it almost the entire time after the newness and novelty of such a small/powerful laptop wore off. Wished I had gotten the 13" from that point forward. Sold it a few weeks ago and got a rMBP but am having second thoughts about the size again. I really think 13" is the sweet spot w/ laptops.

I had my 2008 Unibody 13" for 3 years and only wanted to update it when it got a bit slow. So lesson learned. I'm still in the 14 day window on my 15" rMBP, so I may return it and just get a 13" Air. It really is the idea size as far as I'm concerned.

Mike in Kansas
Sep 1, 2012, 05:09 PM
I knew from experience with other laptops that the size I prefer the MOST is a 15", and that an 11" would have been too small of a display, so I went with a 13". I also wanted the SD slot and better battery life. Finally, I have been going to the Apple Store for quite a while, playing with both MBPs and MBAs, and when the time came to actually purchase one I pretty much already had it figured out.

Barna Biro
Sep 1, 2012, 05:15 PM
I've been kinda' only using 15" models for the past N years... I know for sure that a 11" notebook would be too small for my needs but at the same time, I know that I don't want another 15" model cause it's just not comfortable enough to keep on your lap while sitting on the couch, laying in bed, etc. I clearly need something slightly bigger than the 11" model and smaller / more flexibly than the 15" model... what's left? YOU'RE CORRECT! :cool:

PS: ... just that it's most likely gonna be a rMBP and not an Air ( weight doesn't bother me... sliver bezels on the other hand do :) ). This year, next year... don't really care, but it won't have a tick silver bezel!

Alameda
Sep 1, 2012, 05:16 PM
The threads I've read here are definitely mixed -- there are strong fans of both the 11" and 13". So you will not find a definitive answer here.

If it's your only computer, especially if you don't have an external display, 11" is pretty small. Personally, the 13" is fine for me. 11" is very small.

Best thing is to go to an Apple Store and try both.

plucky duck
Sep 1, 2012, 05:24 PM
I brought home both a 13" and a 11" and evaluated both within my 14 day return period. The 13", while I like the battery, was the only thing I liked about it. It felt big, despite it's thinness, the footprint was definitely bigger than I'd like for travel. The 11", while the battery was less desirable @ 5hrs, it felt like what an Air stood for, ultraportable, tiny footprint, very lightweight, 16:9 display was nice and didn't feel small after spending some time with it, it's the ultimate grab and go device for me.

I'm always near a power plug, so while battery life was less than ideal for me, it wasn't a deal breaker. The 11" Air is the little engine that could. I can deal with the battery, but I can't deal with a larger footprint Air as it goes against what it stood for in my eyes.

13" = portable
11" = ultraportable

Price was not a deciding factor at all. I went with a 11" 2011 model over a 2012 13" model, gaining an extra 128GB SSD storage while giving up Ivy Bridge, USB 3.0, and HD4000 at the same $1080 price point. Internal storage and form factor were my top priorities.

tdhurst
Sep 1, 2012, 05:29 PM
1. My favorite computer ever was the last 12" powerbook.
2. I wanted a computer that had a bag that fit in my scooter.
3. I wanted to force myself to single task when I'm away from my desk.
4. I have an external monitor.
5. IT'S SO LIGHT.

WesCole
Sep 1, 2012, 05:37 PM
Screen real estate and battery life. I had a netbook with an 11" screen a long time ago and it was brutal trying to code on it. 13" is about the perfect size with regards to portability/productivity...for me, anyway.

MaulRx
Sep 1, 2012, 05:41 PM
Price and weight. I knew I would only want to use it when I was out and about so it made sense to go with the cheapest I could get since there is a higher risk of it being broken\stolen\etc. As for weight, an extra 1/2 pound doesn't seem like much on paper but is noticeable after a long day.

The 11" is completely usable. Screen doesn't seem that small once you have it for a few hours.

Mrbobb
Sep 1, 2012, 07:26 PM

This is completely personal. You would know if this wasn't your first portable because you would have a very personal opinion on the last portable that you had to lug around.

If you can borrow one and use it for a month, u will have a pretty good idea. Failing that, I will go into a big box store and play with it. Is OK, they don't kick you out.

Failing all of that, get the 13" Just because having toys is almost always be the biggest, fastest baddest! ;)

Frankly I dunno how those people walk around with their 17" 10-commandment tablets!

daveishere
Sep 1, 2012, 07:34 PM
I went with the 11" last year and regretted it almost the entire time after the newness and novelty of such a small/powerful laptop wore off. Wished I had gotten the 13" from that point forward. Sold it a few weeks ago and got a rMBP but am having second thoughts about the size again. I really think 13" is the sweet spot w/ laptops.

I had my 2008 Unibody 13" for 3 years and only wanted to update it when it got a bit slow. So lesson learned. I'm still in the 14 day window on my 15" rMBP, so I may return it and just get a 13" Air. It really is the idea size as far as I'm concerned.

That's what turned me off buying an 11", very nice for travelling but I felt the size would negatively impact usability over time so thought the 13" was the best all rounder.

lucidmedia
Sep 1, 2012, 07:34 PM
Size. I bought the highest spec machine I could get in an 11-inch size. Portability is the most important for me.

This is my second 11-inch. Before that I had a 13 and I much prefer the smaller size.

No matter the size of my laptop, I plug it into an external monitor when I am able... but I travel a lot and love having a laptop I can stick anywhere.

SuperJudge
Sep 1, 2012, 08:11 PM
Mostly the screen resolution, actually.

I had a ThinkPad X100e. It was an 11.6" notebook with a 1366x768 resolution. There just weren't enough vertical pixels. It was a decent form factor, but only having 768 vertical pixels felt so 20th century to me. I just couldn't deal with it. I had been using 17" PowerBook G4s and 15" MBPs for the longest time so 1440x900 feels minimally acceptable to me.

K0BI
Sep 1, 2012, 09:07 PM
For me, the whole point of the MBA was size. So I bought an 11. Based on your intended use, I would think about the battery life as being the deciding factor.

Blackberryroid
Sep 1, 2012, 09:14 PM
The 13 Inch will always be the best size. 11 Inch is for those who wants it cheaper.

There's nothing wrong with the 11. It's not small, you'll adapt to it.

StevenT42
Sep 1, 2012, 09:27 PM
Screen size is what mattered to my eyes. I went with the 13-inch.

justreason
Sep 1, 2012, 11:00 PM
Size. I bought the highest spec machine I could get in an 11-inch size. Portability is the most important for me.

This is my second 11-inch. Before that I had a 13 and I much prefer the smaller size.

No matter the size of my laptop, I plug it into an external monitor when I am able... but I travel a lot and love having a laptop I can stick anywhere.

ditto.

m00min
Sep 1, 2012, 11:26 PM
The 13 Inch will always be the best size. 11 Inch is for those who wants it cheaper.

I bought the 11 inch, maxed out everything bar the SSD (got a 256gb). Price didn't enter into it. I don't find the screen size inhibitive, I find I use the full screen option in apps, I could never see the point of them on a 15 inch screen, too much like wasting space.

LYFK
Sep 1, 2012, 11:31 PM
I chose the 13" because I found myself leaning too far forward when working on the 11". The bigger screen allows me to relax my posture and work longer with less strain.

kierennyc
Sep 1, 2012, 11:36 PM
11 Inch is for those who wants it cheaper.

Thats a ridiculous statement. My spec'd 11" was almost $2k.

I bought the 11" because I wanted an ultra-portable and I'm sure thats the case for 99% of 11" owners. If you cant afford another $100 for a 13" and thats really the deciding factor, you probably shouldn't be buying a mac period.

jbzcar
Sep 1, 2012, 11:41 PM
I brought home both a 13" and a 11" and evaluated both within my 14 day return period. The 13", while I like the battery, was the only thing I liked about it. It felt big, despite it's thinness, the footprint was definitely bigger than I'd like for travel. The 11", while the battery was less desirable @ 5hrs, it felt like what an Air stood for, ultraportable, tiny footprint, very lightweight, 16:9 display was nice and didn't feel small after spending some time with it, it's the ultimate grab and go device for me.

I'm always near a power plug, so while battery life was less than ideal for me, it wasn't a deal breaker. The 11" Air is the little engine that could. I can deal with the battery, but I can't deal with a larger footprint Air as it goes against what it stood for in my eyes.

13" = portable
11" = ultraportable

Price was not a deciding factor at all. I went with a 11" 2011 model over a 2012 13" model, gaining an extra 128GB SSD storage while giving up Ivy Bridge, USB 3.0, and HD4000 at the same $1080 price point. Internal storage and form factor were my top priorities.

I did very similar. I went with a new maxed mid-2011 11" Air. Got it for less than $1,000. :)

Blackberryroid
Sep 1, 2012, 11:48 PM
Thats a ridiculous statement. My spec'd 11" was almost k.

I bought the 11" because I wanted an ultra-portable and I'm sure thats the case for 99% of 11" owners. If you cant afford another for a 13" and thats really the deciding factor, you probably shouldn't be buying a mac period.

Have you ever wondered why people are debating on Best 11 Inch vs Standard 13?

2IS
Sep 1, 2012, 11:53 PM
For me it wasn't a tough choice at all. I kenw 11" was just way to small. Besides, if I wanted a snappy 11" I'd by a $300 netbook and toss a $150 SSD in it. It wouldn't be a Mac, but I can do the work I need to do just as easily on either platform.

kierennyc
Sep 1, 2012, 11:59 PM
Have you ever wondered why people are debating on Best 11 Inch vs Standard 13?

No I havent.

other than the footprint (screen size), battery and SD card slot they're identical performance wise.

So no, I don't know why you'd compare a 'best' 11" with the 'standard' 13".

3dflyboy1
Sep 2, 2012, 12:12 AM
other than the footprint (screen size), battery and SD card slot they're identical performance wise.

So no, I don't know why you'd compare a 'best' 11" with the 'standard' 13".

Except people are considering the fact that one will have more RAM, an i7 over an i5, and a much larger SSD. I'd say the footprint, battery life, and SD slot are only half the issue.

Wokis
Sep 2, 2012, 12:46 AM
Ordered the 11" first because I've been fascinated by that one ever since its initial release.

Then I remembered how 768 pixels vertically is to little for my uses, that I'd have no SD card slot to expand storage with and that the battery life would be worse. You know, the usual!

I realised I had no real need to have the tiniest footprint available, so I cancelled my order and went for the 13" instead. Glad that I did. 13" fit me better.

kierennyc
Sep 2, 2012, 01:27 AM
Except people are considering the fact that one will have more RAM, an i7 over an i5, and a much larger SSD. I'd say the footprint, battery life, and SD slot are only half the issue.

To be honest, I don't know what we're discussing anymore.

From my understanding once you move past the $999 entry level 11", its only a $100 difference for an identical configuration between the 11" and 13" models.

So as I said, the points to consider are the footprint, battery life and SD card slot

The post I was originally refuting claimed people buy the 11" because its cheaper and I personally believe that to be incorrect.

iamsen47
Sep 2, 2012, 02:14 AM
And I add my voice to your claim; I want the 11" because it's light and small. I have a bad back, good eyes and external screens at home/work. I'd rather have something light.

Price was never a factor when making the decision.

But then there are some people who believe their views are the One True View so there's no point arguing with them. It's like having a debate with Jeremy Clarkson but without any of the fun.

efirmage
Sep 2, 2012, 02:39 AM
I decided to go with the 13 inch. I had a 13 C2D MBA and it was my absolute favorite computer. I seriously debated getting the 11 after being quite drawn to them at the store. However my gut told me to go for the 13 and I'm glad I did.

I rationalized it by considering the extra 2 hours of battery life as extra portability, as well as the SD card slot being very useful. Also, when viewing HD trailers the 13 had a lot more presence.

thelookingglass
Sep 2, 2012, 02:44 AM
The whole point of the Air, to me, is the portability factor. I've got an iMac at home. An 11" Air for everything else. Love how this thing just slips into my bag. I barely even notice it.

I've got a 2010 version and what I'm really waiting for is the upgrade to IPS display panels next year and the Haswell processors.

will0407
Sep 2, 2012, 03:06 AM
If you've never used a machine smaller than 13", the 13" air is not going to feel 'too big', so you'll not feel the need to go smaller.

I got the 11", thinking if it was too small, I could get the 13". Turns out it's perfect for what I need it for- I don't think I could use anything bigger now without wanting to go back to the 11"

(I have a 24" ACD to connect to when I'm at my desk, although my g/f is currently using it, and I'm not really missing it that much!)

nightlong
Sep 2, 2012, 03:12 AM
Tempted by the rMBP for the screen, but too much money for a first gen and for a laptop in general. Tempted by 11 inch Air for all of its advantage except screen size. The 13 inch gave me enough portability and had the most advantages over the other two for my needs. I was worried about the TN screen but it is sharp enough, and with 8/256 the base model is perfect, for me.

I have an iPad, and they are a great combination, and a 24 inch dell when at desk with the Air, and my old faithfuls listed in signature for disk drives and storage as well as usb3 drive partitioned for time machine and system backup.

So, after a lot of research here and considering the options for some time, I am happy with my choice and recommend the 13 inch if it suits your needs.

Unhyper
Sep 2, 2012, 03:51 AM
Since the 128GB model of 11" costs $1500 where I live, price most certainly played a part. I could have gotten the 13" 128GB for $1630, but it was for portable use and not my main computer, so the 11" has served me quite well.

Bilalo
Sep 2, 2012, 04:33 AM
I am torn between the 11" and the 13" MacBook Air, I want it for travelling, work emails, Internet browsing, games and FaceTime.

13" has 2 hour longer battery life, same weight, bigger screen and better for gaming :) 13" forever <3

Ricanlegend
Sep 2, 2012, 04:34 AM
13 inch, If I wanted something smaller why not get an iPad ? You get a better screen with the iPad 3 than the 11 inch air

ixodes
Sep 2, 2012, 04:47 AM
I simply couldn't decide so I bought them both :)

plucky duck
Sep 2, 2012, 05:13 AM

Which one did you use more? And in what kind of settings?

JoeG4
Sep 2, 2012, 05:26 AM
I was planning on buying a 15" MBP and due to some unexpected events, my budget decreased so.. 13" MBA it was!

ixodes
Sep 2, 2012, 06:14 AM
Which one did you use more? And in what kind of settings?
There's so little difference in physical size & weight, I vastly prefer the 13" with it's additional 2 hrs of battery life.

Yet for international travel, the 11" does have it's advantages in an otherwise cramped seating space. Yet it's no where near as well balanced as the 13 so it ends up being personal preference as usual.

The amount of scrolling required on the 11" is crazy.

If one is buying just one computer the 11" is awfully limiting. Conversely the 13 is incredibly useful & delightful.

caoimhe
Sep 2, 2012, 07:54 AM
Battery life was the decider for me. I thought the 11" screen was pretty good but someday I might be happier with the larger one.

Yet for international travel, the 11" does have it's advantages in an otherwise cramped seating space..

Depends on the carrier I guess. Living where I do ALL of my travel is international, LOL, but even on the two transatlantic trips I've done since getting it my 13" wasn't a problem to use. (It helped that no one in front of me put their seat back on the way out - and I had the exit row coming back!) I did pretty much kill the battery both times though, and that's even with getting a precious plug in both airports!

3dflyboy1
Sep 2, 2012, 08:31 AM
To be honest, I don't know what we're discussing anymore.

From my understanding once you move past the $999 entry level 11", its only a $100 difference for an identical configuration between the 11" and 13" models.

So as I said, the points to consider are the footprint, battery life and SD card slot

The post I was originally refuting claimed people buy the 11" because its cheaper and I personally believe that to be incorrect.

Oh okay. I think I misunderstood your last post a little. And I agree with your point that the 11" isn't solely purchased because it's cheaper.

luist3k
Sep 2, 2012, 10:03 AM
I think you should think on your needs only.

I got the '11 because I travel a lot, and needed mobility. When you are on a plane '11 is the perfect size, for example.

The '11 is ultralight. You get 5 hours battery and I've never had problems with power. My girlfriend bought a '11 too, she couldn't decide between '13 and '11 but I convinced her. She is really happy with her notebook now, because it fits in her purse (She bought a cover of course).

On the specs side, if you are not doing imaging and video editing, I don't think you should even look at the specs. The macbook air is a very powerful machine. If you are doing any other work, it will be fast enough.

On the screen. You won't even notice after 1 day. And it's really beautiful. I watch movies, do Excels, words, browse, facebook, do little gaming etc. I don't miss the extra real state. I think that for coding and image editing it is small.

OSX is ultra efficient too. Your computer will last at least some 3 years. I got the 2011 model and I was really looking for a reason to buy a 2012, but just couldn't justify it.

My '11 is a 4 gb ram, i5, 128 gb ssd macbook air.

Hope it helps!

UG.Frontera
Sep 2, 2012, 10:58 AM
I brought the 13" as my friend had the 11". That screen is just too small for doing anything on I found. I had a 09 13" MBP and I just like the size. Not to big and not too small.

pesawyer
Sep 2, 2012, 09:22 PM
I was waiting on the announcement of the new 15" model, when the rMBP was announced I was quite disappointed. I was hoping for something more in line with the "Air" platform but 15". I went to the Apple Store to compare the rMBP with the 13" Air, I walked out with a 13" MBA 2.0/8/512 and haven't regretted it a bit. I absolutely love it.

robvas
Sep 2, 2012, 09:40 PM

Same here.

Using the 11" for a while, and then going to the 13", the screen looks huge!

One tip for the 11" is zoom out one level in your web browser, helps fit more on the screen. I plug both into the same 22" monitor when I'm at home anyway (1920x1080)

ixodes
Sep 2, 2012, 10:12 PM
I was waiting on the announcement of the new 15" model, when the rMBP was announced I was quite disappointed. I was hoping for something more in line with the "Air" platform but 15". I went to the Apple Store to compare the rMBP with the 13" Air, I walked out with a 13" MBA 2.0/8/512 and haven't regretted it a bit. I absolutely love it.

I too had read the many rumors suggesting a 15" MBA. I was thrilled at the idea, yet cautious since you never know what Apple will do.

It's a shame they didn't create one, but its highly likely it was nixed due to a much smaller profit margin than the rMBP.

In addition, Apples clever promotion of the "Magical word Retina" has buyers salivating for Retina equipped devices. Apple wins big in the profit department, and moves everyone upmarket in the process.

Lightyears
Sep 3, 2012, 11:02 AM
I chose an 11". I've had it for over a week and I don't regret it. My primary concern was weight and portability. I had a 13" MacBook Pro once for work and the darn thing was so heavy and cumbersome. At that time I took public transportation so I spent a lot of time with my laptop strapped to me. This time I wanted to lightest thing possible. Hence, MBA.

I like the small screen personally. I recently took an airplane trip somewhere and it was nice not to have this big computer on the tray in front of me (a guy across the aisle to me whipped out some 15' behemoth). And when I get paranoid about theft (like in hotel rooms), I can hide this computer in a lot of places. It's been great.

I got this computer for school. I imagined zipping through my lab homework while still in lab. If I ever have concerns about the screen size then I can hook it up to a monitor. But I am young and have good eyesight. Also you can zoom into the screen using the trackpad, making the words larger.

I didn't care about the screen resolution because nothing I am doing on the MBA is graphics intensive. I don't game on this machine. I don't watch movies on here. I have a Apple TV and a television monitor for that.

I'd go for the 11" if you want it. No more clunky cumbersome computers for me.

plucky duck
Sep 3, 2012, 12:31 PM
Yeah, feels like a breath of fresh air after lugging around 6-9 lb laptops in the past. So much power in such a small space. I didn't really appreciate the form factor until I placed the 11" on top of the 13" and the difference is quite alarming for me. 2" doesn't sound like much but in reality the 13" takes up quite a bit more space on the table.

Form took priority over function and performance, as the 2011 is already fast enough for what I use it for, so 2012's differences did not really sway me to spend more money for the latest and greatest, not if I have to sacrifice larger storage for performance that I didn't really care for.

Spoonz
Sep 3, 2012, 02:50 PM
Do a lot of web design/programming so decided I'd like a bit more screen space. Other than that, not much. I guess the smaller size and weight of the 11" doesn't appeal to me that much since my 13" was such a dramatic drop in both from my previous laptops though.

OnceYouGoMac
Sep 3, 2012, 04:12 PM
I already have a 13" MBP and I thought the 11" Air would be ideal as a secondary computer plus I had been drooling over it in the Apple Store every time I went in there :p I also wanted something that was small and light like the iPad and seeing as me and iPads don't get on very well I decided the 11" Air was the next best thing.

Obi Wan Kenobi
Sep 3, 2012, 04:58 PM
The trade off between the 11" and 13" models is portability versus battery life. I travel a lot so the portability factor won out for me.

I also felt that the difference in weight between the 13" MBA v the 13" MBP was not big enough to justify not having the DVD drive. I have bought a portable DVD drive for the MBA but I very rarely use it and so almost never carry it.

The 11" screen size is perfectly adequate for most jobs, but when working on larger documents, where you really need to see lots of text, the screen size is irritating. I have an iMac at home that assists with this, so the 11"MBA was a great fit for me.

What ultimately swayed me to the 11" model was when I considered how light it was. I decided that the lighter my laptop was, the more likely I'd take it with me, and the more likely I'd get it out and actually work on it. And that's exactly how it's panned out.

Lunchb0x8
Sep 3, 2012, 05:10 PM
I got the 11" because I find it to be a comfortable sized screen to work on and consume media, all while being small enough that it isn't in the way during non computer work.

I would possibly consider the 13 if it had dedicated graphics or something else drastically different to the 11", but as it is the same, except for screen and an SD card slot, it doesn't do it for me.

iAppl3Fan
Sep 3, 2012, 06:17 PM
In 2011, I bought both 11 and 13 inch and use both since I couldn't decide. After a year of usage, I found that i went to the 13 more so I went with that for 2012.

Micky Do
Sep 3, 2012, 07:29 PM
Older chappy that I am, I have never been a fan of portable computers. It has been desk top for me; when I leave my desk I like to turn my back on work and my computer. A Mac Mini has served my needs just fine. It is easily transportable without being portable.

However in my next move in life is likely to be to a more itinerant phase. I can see the need for something more self contained and portable. The MacBook Air looks good to me.

Checking them out in a shop, on the 11" screen everything is a bit small for comfort for my 58 year-old eyes. If/when I do make the move the 13" it will be.

If I was a sharp eyed 29 year-old I reckon my eyes would not look past the 11", cute little thing that it is.

robvas
Sep 3, 2012, 07:49 PM
Checking them out in a shop, on the 11" screen everything is a bit small for comfort for my 58 year-old eyes. If/when I do make the move the 13" it will be.

If I was a sharp eyed 29 year-old I reckon my eyes would not look past the 11", cute little thing that it is.

The fonts are basically the same size on both the 11" and 13" - you can just see more on the bigger screen.

Micky Do
Sep 4, 2012, 01:03 AM
The fonts are basically the same size on both the 11" and 13" - you can just see more on the bigger screen.

I'll take your word for it, but in my experience there is enough of a difference to to make a difference.

thelookingglass
Sep 4, 2012, 01:06 AM
I'll take your word for it, but in my experience there is enough of a difference to to make a difference.

I have to agree with this. The font sizes are almost the same, but slightly bigger on the 13. Ever so slightly. To some people, this may be enough of a difference to choose the 13.

robvas
Sep 4, 2012, 08:07 AM

They're not -exactly- the same but very close, 5% different.. Another thing to consider is your eyes like the Samsung screen more than the LG or vice versa.

11" Air - 135 ppi

13" Air - 128 ppi

The high-res 15 and 17 inch model also have about the same size pixels.

15" Pro high-res - 128ppi

17" Pro - 132ppi

For comparison the 13" Pro and 15" Pro are around 110 ppi!

FieldingMellish
Sep 4, 2012, 11:29 AM
11 inch for its exceptional portability. I own other Macs and old Mac displays to attach it to when at the home or office. It's also okay on its own, but at times can be a hassle. (seeing a lot more of a drawing or photoshop image in its enlarged state; trying to make a large screen grab, etc.)

squirrel0525
Sep 4, 2012, 01:09 PM
I went for the 11 and glad I did. It turned out to be the perfect laptop for me. i also have a 2011 13inch Macbook Pro, so I wanted something for school that was more portable.

noobinator
Sep 4, 2012, 01:53 PM
The 11 to me just feels right. Somehow it is a world of difference from most other laptops netbooks near this size.

WilliamLondon
Sep 4, 2012, 02:19 PM

There's nothing wrong with the 11. It's not small, you'll adapt to it.

That's such a silly assumption - there is a discussion in the iPad forum regarding this same misconception, that price is the factor that determines the size of product one chooses. I'm sure for some that price is actually the determining factor, but don't make the mistake in assuming price is the reason all people choose smaller, especially regarding Apple products.

Less is more to many of us, which means that a smaller form factor is a good thing, even if it means paying more. Travelling with work for so many years taught me the value of small and lightweight, and price has nothing to do with it. In fact, with many products and components, the smaller something is, the higher the price. The 13" may be perfect for you, but the 11" is perfect for lots of others, regardless of which item costs more.

m00min
Sep 4, 2012, 02:19 PM
The 11 to me just feels right. Somehow it is a world of difference from most other laptops netbooks near this size.

I agree. I've got an old Dell Mini 910 that I ran as a hackintosh for a while. The Air is pretty much the same weight but it's so much more usable. Those two extra inches of screen space make all the difference.

koigirl
Sep 4, 2012, 06:33 PM
My advice: buy the 11-inch tricked out and then see if it feels cramped to you after living with it a week. I wish I had taken this route. I gave my 2011 MBP 13 to my daughter and bought the 2012 8GB 256 MBA 13 and it honestly feels a little "big" to me. I just think the 11" MBA is unique and a fantastic little machine. I bought the 13" for the added battery life and screen real estate but honestly wish I'd tried to make an 11" work first.

plucky duck
Sep 4, 2012, 07:19 PM
My advice: buy the 11-inch tricked out and then see if it feels cramped to you after living with it a week. I wish I had taken this route. I gave my 2011 MBP 13 to my daughter and bought the 2012 8GB 256 MBA 13 and it honestly feels a little "big" to me. I just think the 11" MBA is unique and a fantastic little machine. I bought the 13" for the added battery life and screen real estate but honestly wish I'd tried to make an 11" work first.

The 13" is like the wife, the 11" the girlfriend. The wife is more practical, but the girlfriend is so much more fun to play with :p:D

Seriously though I found the 13" to be big, taking up too much valuable space in a backpack, on the table, and just feels "fat" and undesirable. I didn't need practical, I want something fun and enjoyable to play with.

bembol
Sep 4, 2012, 09:42 PM
^ LOL

Resolution & Battery Life.

Jumpthrough
Sep 4, 2012, 09:50 PM
I have the 13 inch. I went to the Apple store and Best Buy a lot before I made my final purchase, I watch Netflix on my laptops and knew the 11 inch was just to small even though it felt much lighter and was a bit more portable. Posture was also a big deal for me, Im on a computer all day at work and its not the best set up, ergonomically speaking, so I wanted to make sure that I got the larger screen to avoid any chance of being hunched over.

jmeadlock
Sep 4, 2012, 10:46 PM
Depends on you & what you do :) The 11" is super easy to pinch between finger & thumb and walk around, the 13" has a bit more screen and battery. I like this case http://www.incipio.com/MacBook-Air-11in-Cases-Accessories/Incipio-MacBook-Air-11in-feather-Ultralight-Hard-Shell-Case.asp for either of them if you're rough on stuff. I miss my 11" a lot when counting stuff standing on a ladder and entering the count into a spreadsheet, or just going from a workstation to the couch. The 11" feels stronger; very little flex in the aluminum case. If you're usually plugged into power and a monitor, I'd recommend the 11".

I really want a retina 11" with a much smaller screen bezel; I think it's the perfect sized 'docking' laptop, but the current resolution is limiting when doing some tasks.

I just got a 15" rMBP and it's a sweet machine which I rarely bother to dock because the screen is so good but I miss the 11 :)

toondw
Sep 5, 2012, 02:15 AM
13". But then it is my only computer. Looked at the 11" and its definitely for regular travellers only in my opinion who need something small.

jojoba
Sep 5, 2012, 04:14 AM
Two key factors for me:

1. I have an iPad and felt that a 11" would overlap too much with that.
2. I wanted the extra screen estate and battery life. I wanted the Air as my main travelling device, and I'm often away for up to three weeks. During this time, I want to work on a larger screen than the 11". I'm a researcher and like to place my articles/ data/ notes etc next to each other on the screen as I'm writing.

CocoaNut
Sep 5, 2012, 05:40 AM
Thats a ridiculous statement. My spec'd 11" was almost $2k.

I bought the 11" because I wanted an ultra-portable and I'm sure thats the case for 99% of 11" owners. If you cant afford another $100 for a 13" and thats really the deciding factor, you probably shouldn't be buying a mac period.

Same here. I wanted the opposite of my 17" MBP and it had to fit on an airplane/train tray table, but still provide decent horsepower. IMHO, best laptop ever made.

bubbleboyjones
Sep 5, 2012, 12:26 PM
I've had my 11" air for 2 weeks now....I like it a lot but at times wish I gotten the 13". I will admit it is a bit crampt at times and there is some overlap with the ipad I have.

At the same time I love the small footprint and one thing I hate is clutter....so being able to have this thing on a coffee table with so little room taken up is amazing.

dbdynsty25
Sep 5, 2012, 01:40 PM
I've had my 11" air for 2 weeks now....I like it a lot but at times wish I gotten the 13". I will admit it is a bit crampt at times and there is some overlap with the ipad I have.

That thought will only get stronger. I ultimately had to sell my 11" and get a 13" to alleviate it. :) You've been warned.

robvas
Sep 5, 2012, 01:46 PM
That thought will only get stronger. I ultimately had to sell my 11" and get a 13" to alleviate it. :) You've been warned.

I sold my 11" and regretted it. I used my 13" for a few months. Ended up buying another 11"!

bubbleboyjones
Sep 5, 2012, 05:00 PM

Its tough to say....I could easily say that if I got the 13" instead and never had the 11" that i would be going "Gee....this is a little big" at times.

Honestly I like the 11" the more I use it because I am getting more used to how to operate Lion with gestures and just general usage. I think a big key to 11" survival is having very easy access to hooking it up to an external monitor when serious work needs to be done. For example at the end of the day if you're doing editing work, both the 11" and 13" isn't going to be ideal buy a long shot so an external display is going to come into the picture no matter what.

Ideally I wish had a 13" to try out for a week or 2 and Im not saying I wouldn't take one if given the chance still but its defintely not clear cut yet. Ideally If Apple could squeez a 13" retina display into the 11" body then that would solve some problems. Some day it will happen...until then firstworldproblems :D

dbdynsty25
Sep 5, 2012, 05:21 PM
Ideally I wish had a 13" to try out for a week or 2 and Im not saying I wouldn't take one if given the chance still but its defintely not clear cut yet.

Apple has a generous no restocking fee 14 day return policy...go grab a 13" and run some side by side stuff with your 11" and see who wins. :)