PDA

View Full Version : Power Nap On The MacBook Air

jonathanlaniado
Sep 1, 2012, 06:36 PM
I have the 13" Macbook Air from 2011 and I updated the firmware. However, although Mail does work through Power Nap, Time Machine does not. Does anyone have a solution? Thank you.

macneubie
Sep 2, 2012, 12:30 AM
Details here (http://www.macworld.com/article/1167970/up_close_with_mountain_lion_power_nap.html).

It says if the AC power is connected while PN is enabled, TM backups can be done. If it's running on battery, TM will not be executed.

drxcm
Sep 2, 2012, 05:40 AM
I have a mid-2011 11" MBA.
I have never been able to get Power Nap to work in any way.

aph3x
Sep 2, 2012, 12:43 PM
Mid-2011 MBA owner here. My machine also does not backup during PowerNap

aph3x
Sep 3, 2012, 05:55 PM
Anybody else?

Are you plugging in a drive directly to your MBA or is it doing it wirelessly?

jonathanlaniado
Sep 3, 2012, 09:56 PM
Are you plugging in a drive directly to your MBA or is it doing it wirelessly?

I use a NAS, so yeah, I am doing it wirelessly.

Glockron
Sep 4, 2012, 01:07 PM
PowerNap works like a charm for me. Keep in mind mail has to be running for PowerNap to work. You can open it up, then close the window with CMD+W, the app will still run. When you sleep, your mailbox will sync.

I haven't tried TM yet.

jonathanlaniado
Sep 4, 2012, 02:09 PM
PowerNap works like a charm for me. Keep in mind mail has to be running for PowerNap to work. You can open it up, then close the window with CMD+W, the app will still run. When you sleep, your mailbox will sync.

I haven't tried TM yet.

My issue is odd, because Mail does work through Power Nap, but Time Machine does not.

jonathanlaniado
Sep 5, 2012, 07:04 PM
Does anybody else have this issue?

Lara F
Sep 7, 2012, 10:54 AM

I haven't tried TM yet.

Anyone know if it has to be Mail.app, or can Sparrow work as well?

Zetaprime
Sep 7, 2012, 03:19 PM
I have the 13" Macbook Air from 2011 and I updated the firmware. However, although Mail does work through Power Nap, Time Machine does not. Does anyone have a solution? Thank you.

Same here. I think time machine only works if it's direct connect. Wireless backups probably use too much power. Since nothing is changing on the computer while it sleeps it doesn't make much sense to do additional backups at that time.

----------

Anyone know if it has to be Mail.app, or can Sparrow work as well?

I'm pretty sure that only apps that are part of OSX will run.

Alameda
Sep 7, 2012, 03:41 PM
I have a mid-2011 11" MBA.
I have never been able to get Power Nap to work in any way.
You have to upgrade the EFI firmware.

drxcm
Sep 7, 2012, 04:15 PM
You have to upgrade the EFI firmware.

Did that ages ago - fully up to date.
Still has never worked. I've read everything there is about it, tried everything.

Alameda
Sep 7, 2012, 04:29 PM
Did that ages ago - fully up to date.
Still has never worked. I've read everything there is about it, tried everything.Does it work with the power adapter plugged in? Did you enable it in System Preferences for both plugged in and battery operation?

Don't be insulted by my questions; we have to start somewhere.

jonathanlaniado
Sep 7, 2012, 06:51 PM
Same here. I think time machine only works if it's direct connect. Wireless backups probably use too much power. Since nothing is changing on the computer while it sleeps it doesn't make much sense to do additional backups at that time.

Yeah, but sometimes I make drastic changes to my Mac and then it would have to backup like 10 GB or more and I just do not want to leave my Mac fully running just for that.

Alameda
Sep 7, 2012, 08:39 PM
On battery power, it only works above 30% charge.

jonathanlaniado
Sep 8, 2012, 10:11 AM
On battery power, it only works above 30% charge.

I tried doing it when the battery power was at 100%. Does it work for you?

Alameda
Sep 8, 2012, 07:22 PM
I tried doing it when the battery power was at 100%. Does it work for you?Oh, so now that I opened my fat mouth, I have to go try it? :-)

The answer is, I think it works. I started a Time Machine backup to a USB-attached drive with the power cord attached to the Mac. It had about 30 GB remaining when I closed the lid and went out to lunch. It wasn't exactly finished when I returned from lunch. It reported that it had 30 GB remaining for a few seconds, then it reported that it was finishing up. So I think it works, but I'm not 100% certain yet.

I have my email on Outlook, which doesn't support PowerNap. Maybe I'll test it with Gmail, although I think background email download isn't terribly useful.

jonathanlaniado
Sep 9, 2012, 08:32 AM
Oh, so now that I opened my fat mouth, I have to go try it? :-)

The answer is, I think it works. I started a Time Machine backup to a USB-attached drive with the power cord attached to the Mac. It had about 30 GB remaining when I closed the lid and went out to lunch. It wasn't exactly finished when I returned from lunch. It reported that it had 30 GB remaining for a few seconds, then it reported that it was finishing up. So I think it works, but I'm not 100% certain yet.

I have my email on Outlook, which doesn't support PowerNap. Maybe I'll test it with Gmail, although I think background email download isn't terribly useful.

Well, I do know that the actual Mail app does work with Power Nap. Why do you not use that?

drxcm
Sep 10, 2012, 03:53 AM
Does it work with the power adapter plugged in? Did you enable it in System Preferences for both plugged in and battery operation?

Don't be insulted by my questions; we have to start somewhere.

Not insulted at all :)

Yup - tried with power in / power out, enabled via System Prefs etc, apps (eg Mail) open.

Alameda
Sep 10, 2012, 10:58 AM
Well, I do know that the actual Mail app does work with Power Nap. Why do you not use that?I have two email accounts: A Gmail personal account, and a work account through Exchange. The work account has all kinds of security to go through, and I need the Outlook addresses and calendar. I don't think Mail will do. With the gmail (MAPI) account, I wanted to sort messages by sender and clean out hundreds of old messages, and Mail crashed whenever I tried that. But now that it's all cleaned up, maybe I'll try it.

jonathanlaniado
Sep 10, 2012, 04:42 PM
I have two email accounts: A Gmail personal account, and a work account through Exchange. The work account has all kinds of security to go through, and I need the Outlook addresses and calendar. I don't think Mail will do. With the gmail (MAPI) account, I wanted to sort messages by sender and clean out hundreds of old messages, and Mail crashed whenever I tried that. But now that it's all cleaned up, maybe I'll try it.

You should and if you have Mountain Lion, sort people by using VIPs. That can help a lot.

Alameda
Sep 11, 2012, 02:58 AM
You should and if you have Mountain Lion, sort people by using VIPs. That can help a lot.Sorry... VIP's? I don't understand.

Alameda
Sep 11, 2012, 08:56 AM
Not insulted at all :)

Yup - tried with power in / power out, enabled via System Prefs etc, apps (eg Mail) open.I set up mail, and when I woke from sleep, Mail downloaded new messages -- so I'm not sure it worked. Apple says the Mac only checks for mail once per hour, maybe that's it?

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT5394

How often does Power Nap check for updates or back up?

Mail, Contacts, Calendar, Reminders, Notes, Photo Stream, Find My Mac, and iCloud Documents are checked every hour.
Time Machine backups are attempted hourly until a successful backup has been completed.
Software Updates are checked daily.
Mac App Store downloads are checked once a week.

drxcm
Sep 11, 2012, 10:41 AM
I set up mail, and when I woke from sleep, Mail downloaded new messages -- so I'm not sure it worked. Apple says the Mac only checks for mail once per hour, maybe that's it?

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT5394

How often does Power Nap check for updates or back up?

Mail, Contacts, Calendar, Reminders, Notes, Photo Stream, Find My Mac, and iCloud Documents are checked every hour.
Time Machine backups are attempted hourly until a successful backup has been completed.
Software Updates are checked daily.
Mac App Store downloads are checked once a week.

Nope - nothing even after overnight sleep. Like I said, I've read every post on this, tried everything. I'm no slouch with OSX and Macs, and understand how to set it up and what it should do.

It just doesn't work on my MBA. Ever.

Maybe I need to reinstall.

Mrbobb
Sep 11, 2012, 11:54 AM
U guys are scaring me.

Am a newly Windows convert and just figuring out OSX. Windows, for a long time has allowed me to run ANYTHING while asleep, and yes I can tell it to only when on AC, totally configurable.

dcorban
Sep 11, 2012, 01:27 PM
I don't really see why there is so much concern for Power Nap. I don't see the practical benefit. Why do I care if email is downloaded while the MacBook is sleeping? The email will just download the instant I open the lid otherwise. Same for messages.

Why do we care if Time Machine makes backups while asleep? By definition, the computer is asleep, so no changes are made to the data!

I can see a mild benefit in having contacts, calendar, notes, etc update. This allows you to see the changes immediately upon opening rather than potentially seeing old data for a second or two. Still, is this worth the power usage and heat generation?

AlanShutko
Sep 11, 2012, 01:45 PM
Why do we care if Time Machine makes backups while asleep? By definition, the computer is asleep, so no changes are made to the data!

The reason I like it is that it means I don't need to make sure my laptop is awake while it does a time machine backup. If I've been working away from home all day, I can bring it home, plug it in, and things get backed up.

Mrbobb
Sep 11, 2012, 02:30 PM
I don't really see why there is so much concern for Power Nap.

The mobile of us (the prime reason for an Air) at times don't end up in a location with WIFI, so your assumption that everybody can get a WIFI signal at every wakeup is false.

I personally have my machine go grab podcasts a couple times a day and when I want it, I want it NOW, so having the notebook do this task by itself when am at lunch is cool and a necessity.

jonathanlaniado
Sep 11, 2012, 05:44 PM
Sorry... VIP's? I don't understand.

A VIP is any person you designate as being important enough to have their messages treated differently by Mail. You designate someone as a VIP by clicking the star icon to the left of the person's name in any incoming or sent message. You'll immediately notice that every message to or from that person now displays a star in message lists, making it easier to find those messages. In addition, when you designate a sender as a VIP, that person gets his or her own entry in a new VIPs section of Mail's Mailboxes sidebar. Click a VIP's name, and you get a list of all messages, across all mailboxes (including Sent and Trash), to or from that person.

You can also take advantage of VIP status in mail rules: Mail includes a new condition called Sender Is VIP. Combine this with the new Send Notification action mentioned above, and you can configure Mail to notify you whenever email arrives from one of your VIPs. Of course, you can also use any other available mail action on messages from a VIP.

Zetaprime
Sep 12, 2012, 11:18 PM
I don't really see why there is so much concern for Power Nap. I don't see the practical benefit. Why do I care if email is downloaded while the MacBook is sleeping? The email will just download the instant I open the lid otherwise. Same for messages.

I can see a mild benefit in having contacts, calendar, notes, etc update. This allows you to see the changes immediately upon opening rather than potentially seeing old data for a second or two. Still, is this worth the power usage and heat generation?

Since Time Machine backups via wireless don't work with Powernap it's not terribly useful. Since the Air is least likely to be directly connected to the Time Capsule drive it's therefore less useful to Air users than Macbook Pros which might spend more time on a desk.

SpoekGTi
Sep 13, 2012, 02:23 AM
Since Time Machine backups via wireless don't work with Powernap it's not terribly useful. Since the Air is least likely to be directly connected to the Time Capsule drive it's therefore less useful to Air users than Macbook Pros which might spend more time on a desk.

Ehm, here my Air + TimeMachine do work wireless, but it has to be on AC power to do it.

jonathanlaniado
Sep 14, 2012, 09:52 PM
Ehm, here my Air + TimeMachine do work wireless, but it has to be on AC power to do it.

Which is why Apple are all scrubs! They say it can work both ways, but there are always issues. However, I love Apple! But still, c'mon!

jonathanlaniado
Sep 21, 2012, 09:25 PM
Anyone else?

Alameda
Sep 21, 2012, 11:57 PM
Anyone else?New 10.8.2 OS update just came out. Adds PowerNap support to the 2010 Air's. why don't you try the update?