PDA

View Full Version : Should I sell my 13" 2011 MBP and purchase the upgraded 13" MBA?

fsolano
Sep 1, 2012, 07:57 PM
Hello guys,

Just as the title says, I'm torn between options. I have a 13" 2011 MBP with 2.7GHz dual-core Intel Core i7, 4GB RAM and 500GB HD but lately, after handling a friend's MBA, I'm really liking the slenderness of the MBA and the weight difference. Not to mention the SSD in an Air would be blazing fast for my purposes. I would definitely stay in the same 13" size as my MBP. I'm not typically a power user. I mostly use my MBP for writing assignments, internet, movies, and music. So I guess I'm asking you guys if I should go for it? My MBP is mint condition, no scratches. What do you guys think I could get for it? Do you think I can make enough to buy a MBA outright with the same money? All your suggestions and opinions are greatly appreciated. Thanks.

-Fern

ixodes
Sep 1, 2012, 08:23 PM
If time & money are no object, then do it because you want to. I have no idea what's worth since it does tend to vary by geographical area.

I have both of the models we're talking about & greatly prefer the MBA.

My MBP's do the mission critical heavy work & my MBA's are for fun & travel.

Either way only you can decide. The MBP you have is very nicely configured, as well as being easily serviceable if that means anything to you.

A Samsung 830 series SSD, as I've installed in all my MBP's would turn it into a rocket. I've got mine maxed out with ram & those two changes make a world of difference.

Ricanlegend
Sep 2, 2012, 02:35 AM
Why don't you just buy a SSD ? That's the only difference between the air and pro. If you want the best money can buy get the intel 520 or 2nd place the samsung 830

graffia274
Sep 4, 2012, 04:53 PM
Fern,

This is exactly what I did recently. The SSD solution that the previous posters mentioned is a fine plan, however you just need to ask yourself if you'll utilize the portability factor (this is why I made the switch). If so, i think the Air is the right way to go. If you don't carry your computer around much, or don't have a need to, I'd say stick with what you've got.

I sold my MBP to my girlfriend's brother for $800 and picked up a Air from Best Buy. They were running a nice promo, not sure if its still available, it was $1,139 plus an additional $100 off for a student discount. To me, this small price difference was definitely worth it. Hope this helps.

stchman
Sep 4, 2012, 05:12 PM
You can get a 256GB SATA SSD from Newegg for < $200 and while you're in there upgrade the RAM to 8GB. The RAM will set you back ~$50.

Mrbobb
Sep 4, 2012, 05:36 PM
Between the 2 I went to an AIR, the 2.3LB vs 4.5LB tipped it over for me.

As other have said u can upgrade with SSD and BAM! if smoothness and no wait is what ur after.

If weight is what's attracting you, perhaps wait for the next MBP 13 illiteration WITHOUT the optical, should save at least 0.5LB.

I was disappointed when they announced the rBMP thin, no optical was only for the 15" and they kept the 13" the same with the bulky optical.

sviato
Sep 4, 2012, 05:48 PM
The weight is a 1.5lb difference. I went to Best Buy last week and picked up an air and a pro at the same time with both hands the weight was only slightly noticeable.

I think you just really like the idea of the air right now, it's stuck in your head and you want it even if it isn't a big performance upgrade.

That said, your MBP isn't that old and with a few easy and inexpensive upgrades it can get even better so I'd recommend that route if performance is really what you're trying to improve.

Nychot
Sep 4, 2012, 06:02 PM
I did and very happy i did.

Hello guys,

Just as the title says, I'm torn between options. I have a 13" 2011 MBP with 2.7GHz dual-core Intel Core i7, 4GB RAM and 500GB HD but lately, after handling a friend's MBA, I'm really liking the slenderness of the MBA and the weight difference. Not to mention the SSD in an Air would be blazing fast for my purposes. I would definitely stay in the same 13" size as my MBP. I'm not typically a power user. I mostly use my MBP for writing assignments, internet, movies, and music. So I guess I'm asking you guys if I should go for it? My MBP is mint condition, no scratches. What do you guys think I could get for it? Do you think I can make enough to buy a MBA outright with the same money? All your suggestions and opinions are greatly appreciated. Thanks.

-Fern