Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Sttesuhc

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 17, 2005
My classes begin in approximately 2 weeks, and I need to be compatible with Word and Powerpoint for sharing between classmates.

Is there a new version of Office due to be released anytime soon? I'm planning to get Office 2004 Student and Teacher for $99 from Apple, but I'm wondering if I might wait 1 month to get the new version. Of course, I'd rather have an older version that has bugs worked out than get something new and suffer all fall with problems.

Also, for some reason I can't access the rebate form on Apple's store webpage. Anyone else have that problem? Is there a link that works?

Thanks for the help! :)

yellow5

macrumors regular
Jun 28, 2005
In my opinion Microsoft is INCREDIBLY slow when it comes to updating their Mac software (I wonder why...).

So I don't see them updating 2004 for a while. I think you should be alright getting it. Especially for $99.

20rogersc

macrumors 65816
Jun 28, 2005
Brighton, UK
I have no idea when an update could be released, but if you're waiting, why not try Open Office (requires X11) or NeoOfficeJ (aqua version)? These will open all .doc and .ppt, and include spreadsheet, presentation, and word processing which can be set to save as the M$ office equivalent.

::20ROGERSC::

ckeck

macrumors 6502a
Jul 29, 2005
Texas
Check to see if your school has Microsoft discounts...

I got Office 2004 for Mac for $19.95

(Also got Windows XP Pro for $9.95 and Office Pro 2003 for $24.95 for my Windows machine!)

Sttesuhc

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 17, 2005
I'm definitely going to take the advice and look at the bookstore for a deal.

As for OpenOffice, I think I might look into it and see. I think I tried to d/l the app once but still needed X11. One reservation I have is that I've gotten used to the menus and workflow of Office, so I'm not sure if I'd have to re-learn some of the basics.

rinseout

macrumors regular
Jan 20, 2004
20rogersc said:
why not try Open Office (requires X11) or NeoOfficeJ (aqua version)? These will open all .doc
Open, maybe, but it's the rendering that's a pain. I had to read a .doc yesterday that was more readable in TextEdit than in either Pages (which core dumped) or NeoOffice/J (which just didn't render it legibly).

PlaceofDis

macrumors Core
Jan 6, 2004
if you can get Office for a good price, go for it, i have it, i use it, and i have no problems thats for sure

OnceUGoMac

macrumors 6502a
Mar 3, 2004
Sttesuhc said:
Is there a new version of Office due to be released anytime soon? I'm planning to get Office 2004 Student and Teacher for $99 from Apple, but I'm wondering if I might wait 1 month to get the new version.

There is no new version. Office 2004 is the latest. Try searching on google or just looking at the Microsoft website next time. http://www.microsoft.com/mac/

mad jew

Moderator emeritus
Apr 3, 2004
Adelaide, Australia
As a student I can tell you Office is a necessity. The alternatives just aren't as user-friendly or as easy to collaborate with peers with. There won't be a replacement Office for quite a while too, so you should be pretty safe getting it now. :)

Sttesuhc

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 17, 2005
Thanks for the advice everyone. I suppose news of an impending update of the software would be available from most news outlets (Google, MS), but I was also curious to see if some of the rumor-wise folks here had any input under the radar. I just wanted to clarify that.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.