Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

wrxguy

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 4, 2005
Deepest Regions of Hell
I am thinking about upgrading my PB's HD to the 100g from the 80 or maybe something higher than the 100 if i can find it...has anyone done this? how did it change the performance? and would you recomed???

Noiseboy

macrumors regular
Dec 25, 2002
Lurking nearby.
This is going back a few years to my old 500MHz TiBook which came with a 4200 rpm 20 GB HDD and which I swapped out for a then top of the line 5400 prm 40 GB drive. The difference was decidedly noticable particularly (obviously) booting but also general performance. If you are adept with a screwdriver it should not be too tricky on the new PB's and OWC do some good deals. I got a firewire case with the new drive and then used Carbon Copy Cloner to dupe my internal HD to the external drive and then swapped them over, it worked a treat. I'm thinking of doing the same as you with my 17" PB now. As far as I know there are no 2.5 inch drives bigger than 100 GB at the moment, I just wish that someone would do a 100 GB 7200 rpm drive.

Angelus520

macrumors regular
May 22, 2003
Chicago
Seagate 120GB drive and Hitachi 100GB 7200 rpm drive

There are bigger ones out now. I just found out about this 120GB drive today:

Seagate Momentus 120GB 5400rpm 2.5" drive

Hitachi/IBM is making a 100GB 7200 rpm drive but I haven't found anyone who stocks it yet. They announced it a few months back so it should be shipping any time now.

Angelus520

macrumors regular
May 22, 2003
Chicago
Getting data from old HDD to new HDD

I have to upgrade my PB HDD and want to make sure I have the steps down to get my data transferred over. I have a couple external drives as well as a 60GB iPod Photo that I can use to back things up.

Should I just use Carbon Copy Cloner to make a bootable copy on either the iPod or the other drives? Then stick the new drive in the PB and copy everything over? Never done this before so I'm a little confused on the steps.

Thanks!

Eniregnat

macrumors 68000
Jan 22, 2003
In your head.
Search the forums for this topic. There are a lot of good threads.

Here is a thread I started about my adventures changeing out the HD on my 12" PB. https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/132599/ I include advice for others attempting the same. Included are links to directions on how to do it as well as venders that list preformance stats.

My battery life improved with the new drive, as well as boot speed.

Best of luck and skill!

livingfortoday

macrumors 68030
Nov 17, 2004
The Msp
Angelus520 said:
Hitachi/IBM is making a 100GB 7200 rpm drive but I haven't found anyone who stocks it yet. They announced it a few months back so it should be shipping any time now.

Seagate makes a 100GB 7200rpm drive that's out now (I believe it's their Momentus series), but it's over $250.

Foucault

macrumors 6502
Dec 30, 2002
Pasadena, CA
Powerbook Resq

A couple of months ago I upgraded my Titanium Powerbook's HD to a 100GB HD using Powerbook Resq's overnight service. Although there was a couple of days delay, I was very satisfied with their service. They replaced my HD, and put a case on my old HD so I can use it as an external HD. They transferred all my files from old HD into my new HD. Very happy... Everything has been working like a peach.

Visit their website at http://www.powerbookresq.com

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.