Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Thomasasz

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 28, 2010
Hi there!

After seeing how good MBA's performance with SSD is, I started wondering if there are SSDs for my MacBook. My one is the last model of white MacBooks released in 2010 (7,1). Can you please suggest some SSDs for this model? I do not have a clue about these disks BTW. Oh and I'm looking for 128Gb.

What about this one:
http://www.crucial.com/store/mpartspecs.aspx?mtbpoid=D75E516FA5CA7304
It says it is compatible with MB7,1 but is there noticeable speed difference not only while booting?

Thanks!!!

Last edited:

Dark Void

macrumors 68030
Jun 1, 2011
SSDs can be found all over - if looking online, Amazon or Newegg are popular choices.

Any 2.5'' SSD will fit and function properly in your MacBook - popular brands include Crucial, Intel, OCZ, Samsung, etc. If you want to get more in depth with choosing a brand, there are tons of threads here comparing read/write speeds and the like, but personally I would just get whichever drive I can find for the cheapest price.

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
Hi there!

After seeing how good MBA's performance with SSD is, I started wondering if there are SSDs for my MacBook. My one is the last model of white MacBooks released in 2010 (7,1). Can you please suggest some SSDs for this model? I do not have a clue about these disks BTW. Oh and I'm looking for 128Gb.

What about this one:
http://www.crucial.com/store/mpartspecs.aspx?mtbpoid=D75E516FA5CA7304
It says it is compatible with MB7,1 but is there noticeable speed difference not only while booting?

Thanks!!!

Yes that drive will work and is fairly popular among forum users. There are somewhat faster drives available, but they typically cost more.

With an older machine and a SATA II interface like you have, paying more for the fastest drive is not really worth it.

I see Amazon has that same M4 drive for $105... cheaper than from Crucial themselves.

Thomasasz

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 28, 2010
Yes that drive will work and is fairly popular among forum users. There are somewhat faster drives available, but they typically cost more.

With an older machine and a SATA II interface like you have, paying more for the fastest drive is not really worth it.

I see Amazon has that same M4 drive for $105... cheaper than from Crucial themselves.

Yeah, after looking through some topics on this issue i found out that this is the most suitable. Unfortunately, in here in EU the price is 102eur but the difference is not that great. The question is if my MacBook with this SSD would operate significantly faster? Saw some videos with boot time under 20sec which is impressive compared to almost 1 min with my current HDD. But what about other operations like opening apps and so on? :)

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
Yeah, after looking through some topics on this issue i found out that this is the most suitable. Unfortunately, in here in EU the price is 102eur but the difference is not that great. The question is if my MacBook with this SSD would operate significantly faster? Saw some videos with boot time under 20sec which is impressive compared to almost 1 min with my current HDD. But what about other operations like opening apps and so on? :)

Oh yes... definitely. You will notice a huge difference in bootup and application launch times. I put a SSD in a 2008 Macbook I had and it really transformed the machine.

Thomasasz

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 28, 2010

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California

From looking at the first listing dates and the Crucial website itself, it looks like the CT128M4SSD1 is an older version.

They also make the same drive with a desktop adaptor (which you don't need) and another kit with a transfer cable that might be helpful if you don't already have an external drive enclosure to copy your data over.

Thomasasz

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 28, 2010
From looking at the first listing dates and the Crucial website itself, it looks like the CT128M4SSD1 is an older version.

They also make the same drive with a desktop adaptor (which you don't need) and another kit with a transfer cable that might be helpful if you don't already have an external drive enclosure to copy your data over.

I see. I'll try CT128M4SSD2 then. Thanks again!;)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.