Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mexico

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 6, 2011
My favorite screensaver since I've owned macs has always been the spectrum one. I LOVE IT. Apple got rid of it in mountain lion! it was the only classy screensaver osx has! Is there anyway I can copy it from my old computer?:(

nyolc8

macrumors regular
Jul 20, 2012
Yes, you can simply use the one from Lion or from Snow Leopard. :)
I'm on a windows pc now, but if I remember right, the folder where it is on Lion is: "/Library/Screensavers/". Copy the spectrum screensaver file to ML's "~/Library/Screensavers/" or "/Library/Screensavers/"

(~ means your home folder)

1ricca

macrumors newbie
Aug 11, 2010
My favorite screensaver since I've owned macs has always been the spectrum one. I LOVE IT. Apple got rid of it in mountain lion! it was the only classy screensaver osx has! Is there anyway I can copy it from my old computer?:(

Same boat as you and SOLVED.

I went and found the Spectrum.qtz file from an old install.

I copied it to the current install in the same folder /system/library/screen savers

I changed all permissions to read and write

I took a screensaver I didn't ever use and renamed it with .bak at the end of its name.

I renamed Spectrum to the name of the one I changed.

Pick that screensaver and it will use the Spectrum screensaver even though it now has a different name.

nyolc8

macrumors regular
Jul 20, 2012
Same boat as you and SOLVED.
I went and found the Spectrum.qtz file from an old install.
I copied it to the current install in the same folder /system/library/screen savers
I changed all permissions to read and write
I took a screensaver I didn't ever use and renamed it with .bak at the end of its name.
I renamed Spectrum to the name of the one I changed.
Pick that screensaver and it will use the Spectrum screensaver even though it now has a different name.
Why did you replaced a default screensaver? I put RSS vizualizer screensaver from Lion into ML's "~/Library/Screen Savers/" folder and it shows up in System Preferences > Screensavers. So... Why did you replaced a default screensaver with it? :confused:

Alokk

macrumors newbie
Jan 14, 2013
India
my favorite screensaver since i've owned macs has always been the spectrum one. I love it. Apple got rid of it in mountain lion! It was the only classy screensaver osx has! Is there anyway i can copy it from my old computer?:(

r u got the spectrum....can u plz upload the "spectrum.qtz" file....i too love the spectrum too much but i dont have the snow leopard mac......if u have plz upload it here .....thankx

justperry

macrumors G5
Aug 10, 2007
I'm a rolling stone.
r u got the spectrum....can u plz upload the "spectrum.qtz" file....i too love the spectrum too much but i dont have the snow leopard mac......if u have plz upload it here .....thankx

Here you go.

(Yes, it is only 6 KB, ~3 zipped.)

Attachments

• Spectrum.qtz.zip
    2.8 KB · Views: 1,271
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.