Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

LawrenZza

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 14, 2009
I'm currently exploring iWeb on my mac. I found it extremely user-friendly to use. But i am very keen to learn and wanting to explore more tricks to help improve the my webpage (as i am working on it now)

Any kind experts would like to share some ideas & knowledge.

Im very new to iWeb hence i'm not sure how others did their motion icon (when you move your mouse over a link tab it changes color/font/move) im very curious... furthermore, how to they create the drop down list and etc....

please drop all the hints and tips. appreciate very much

kindly please share any online resources that would help further improve all other onsite readers.

THANK YOU

rick3000

macrumors 6502a
May 6, 2008
West Coast
There are a few websites if you do a google search for 'iWeb tips.' However, iWeb is no longer supported software, I would recommend if you want to learn to built a site to do it in a program that will be supported and upgraded in the future like RapidWeaver.

Mugwumper

macrumors regular
Jan 19, 2008
Temecula, CA
Why not WordPress? Or Weebly?

I'm currently exploring iWeb on my mac. I found it extremely user-friendly to use. But i am very keen to learn and wanting to explore more tricks to help improve the my webpage (as i am working on it now)

Any kind experts would like to share some ideas & knowledge.

Im very new to iWeb hence i'm not sure how others did their motion icon (when you move your mouse over a link tab it changes color/font/move) im very curious... furthermore, how to they create the drop down list and etc....

please drop all the hints and tips. appreciate very much

kindly please share any online resources that would help further improve all other onsite readers.

THANK YOU

Dumb question: what is your website going to be about? Are you selling something, or have information about something, or have pictures of various things?

And is there a reason you want to learn about websites? In other words, do you want to learn so you can become an expert, or are you looking for any tool that creates the site quickly? Or are you looking to update an existing site?

If you want a free "system" to build a small site, try Weebly.com - I've built sites literally in 15-20 minutes.

If you want something more powerful, try WordPress. This will require to get a hosting account somewhere (like BlueHost.com), but WP allows you to go as deep as you want with all the various themes and plugins available. And you can add extra functionality with HTML or PHP programming (as long as you learn these).

Tell us more what you're trying to do, and we may have more thoughts . . . ;^)

LawrenZza

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 14, 2009
Dumb question: what is your website going to be about? Are you selling something, or have information about something, or have pictures of various things?

And is there a reason you want to learn about websites? In other words, do you want to learn so you can become an expert, or are you looking for any tool that creates the site quickly? Or are you looking to update an existing site?

If you want a free "system" to build a small site, try Weebly.com - I've built sites literally in 15-20 minutes.

If you want something more powerful, try WordPress. This will require to get a hosting account somewhere (like BlueHost.com), but WP allows you to go as deep as you want with all the various themes and plugins available. And you can add extra functionality with HTML or PHP programming (as long as you learn these).

Tell us more what you're trying to do, and we may have more thoughts . . . ;^)

Thanks for your kind reply. This is a very rough idea of my website that i've just created (http://www.livingbathrooms.com.my) The main purpose of this website is for publicity and to create awareness for the company.

As you can see from the webpage that i've created, i'm very new to webdesign and iweb. Any ideas and suggestion to improve the webpage... please do not hesitate to advice.

Your generous suggestions are deeply appreciated. Thank you

GR33NIE

macrumors 6502
Jul 9, 2008
UK
Looks good :) Nice and neat, I would suggest taking a look @ RapidWeaver, much more functionality and plugins over iWeb. It costs but it's well worth it, depends how much further you want to take it

HarryPot

macrumors 65816
Sep 5, 2009
Do remove the auto-playing Youtube video.

It's very annoying to open a webpage and start hearing noises. And since the video is in the bottom, at first you don't even know where it is coming from.

LawrenZza

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 14, 2009
Do remove the auto-playing Youtube video.

It's very annoying to open a webpage and start hearing noises. And since the video is in the bottom, at first you don't even know where it is coming from.

thanks for the kind advice. will work on it.

i'm very curious how did they do the navigation bar that on the active page they have the white button on the navigation link.

view this page:http://www.rsphoto.fr/Accueil_photographe_mariage.html

any idea?

HarryPot

macrumors 65816
Sep 5, 2009
i'm very curious how did they do the navigation bar that on the active page they have the white button on the navigation link.

You can achieve that using CSS sprites.

Take a look at this page. It explain how you can achieve a navigation bar as the one Apple uses.

As for the active state, you must have a unique body ID per page, and also give each link a unique ID. See this page.

Mugwumper

macrumors regular
Jan 19, 2008
Temecula, CA
Looks good! ;^)

Thanks for your kind reply. This is a very rough idea of my website that i've just created (http://www.livingbathrooms.com.my) The main purpose of this website is for publicity and to create awareness for the company.

As you can see from the webpage that i've created, i'm very new to webdesign and iweb. Any ideas and suggestion to improve the webpage... please do not hesitate to advice.

Your generous suggestions are deeply appreciated. Thank you

The site looks great - as others noted, nice and neat and clean.

The only suggestions I'd make are related to the content and layout of the website:

- need other pages (About Us, Contact Us, maybe move the bottom part of the Home page to a Products page)
- make sure you write the content with SEO in mind
- have a "call to action" (offer a white paper or something in exchange for filling out a form)

Let me know if you want to chat further about this offline . . .

LawrenZza

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 14, 2009
The site looks great - as others noted, nice and neat and clean.

The only suggestions I'd make are related to the content and layout of the website:

- need other pages (About Us, Contact Us, maybe move the bottom part of the Home page to a Products page)
- make sure you write the content with SEO in mind
- have a "call to action" (offer a white paper or something in exchange for filling out a form)

Let me know if you want to chat further about this offline . . .

thanks for the reply. im really curious on how SEO works... and how i can up my ranking of my website on search engines.

felixfatfunk

macrumors newbie
Oct 13, 2007
London
thanks for the kind advice. will work on it.

view this page:http://www.rsphoto.fr/Accueil_photographe_mariage.html

any idea?

Look for the inspection button , that will open up a whole raft of useful commands. I would suggest (as with all apple) go through the options and play, you will start to see a pattern.

My site (needs updating as old mobileme links has gone).

hixondesign.co.uk

All done on iweb, note hyperlinks, created buttons with colour change etc,

In fairness looking dated now, tried wordpress, steep learning curve when time is at a premium.

FFF

-pete-

macrumors member
Apr 20, 2011
If you are interested in learning how SEO works you should start by reading the Google SEO guide to get a good indication of the basics.

iWeb has its uses but as others have said, it has being discontinued by Apple, there are still some tutorials out there but in all honesty you might be better served doing one of the following:

1) If you don't have much time to spend on learning systems you can try one of the "what-you-see-is-what-you-get" editors such Rapidweaver, Weebly or Squarespace, they produce messy code that won't be ideal for SEO or usability across devices but if you just want a basic site that gets the job done they can be extremely useful.

2) Install a CMS (content management system) such a WordPress and build a site on that. You can register for a free site on WordPress.com or if you are feeling brave you can often install it as part of your hosting package. There are tons of prebuilt themes online and plugins for pretty much any functionality that you would want.

Additionally if you don't mind a bit of code you can learn HTML and CSS, this will let you customise WordPress extensively and give you the control to do pretty much whatever you would want.

GR33NIE

macrumors 6502
Jul 9, 2008
UK
thanks for the reply. im really curious on how SEO works... and how i can up my ranking of my website on search engines.

There are loads of free guides out there on how SEO works, I disagree with the above comment on Rapidweaver and messy code.

If you know what you are doing you can still achieve great SEO results using such applications, I've hit page 1 in more than one case :)

jpine

macrumors 6502
Jun 15, 2007
Is there a what-you-see-is-what-you-get program that generates relatively clean code?

----------

There are loads of free guides out there on how SEO works, I disagree with the above comment on Rapidweaver and messy code.

If you know what you are doing you can still achieve great SEO results using such applications, I've hit page 1 in more than one case :)

Any thoughts or resources for generating clean code in Rapidweaver?

GR33NIE

macrumors 6502
Jul 9, 2008
UK
Is there a what-you-see-is-what-you-get program that generates relatively clean code?

----------

Any thoughts or resources for generating clean code in Rapidweaver?

I have never done a site in RapidWeaver that has taken over 1 week to index in Google... I'm not sure you need to do anything out of the ordinary just learn some more about SEO too :) Keywords, description, back links, excellent content...they will all help :)

LawrenZza

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 14, 2009
I have never done a site in RapidWeaver that has taken over 1 week to index in Google... I'm not sure you need to do anything out of the ordinary just learn some more about SEO too :) Keywords, description, back links, excellent content...they will all help :)

Thanks.. im quite satisfy with my experience with iWeb. Hence, now i would like to learn about SEO to improve the ranking on my site. Does anyone know how to customize the description for my http://www.livingbathrooms.com.my webpage. as it would appear on any search engine?

for example, when you search my webpage on google, there will be a description under the link right? how can i customize it or in order words change it as i want it to be?

HarryPot

macrumors 65816
Sep 5, 2009
for example, when you search my webpage on google, there will be a description under the link right? how can i customize it or in order words change it as i want it to be?

Code:
<head> <meta name="description" content="This is an example of a meta description. This will often show up in search results."> </head>

GR33NIE

macrumors 6502
Jul 9, 2008
UK
Thanks.. im quite satisfy with my experience with iWeb. Hence, now i would like to learn about SEO to improve the ranking on my site. Does anyone know how to customize the description for my http://www.livingbathrooms.com.my webpage. as it would appear on any search engine?

Don't forget the keywords meta tag too, very useful for important key words ;)

GR33NIE

macrumors 6502
Jul 9, 2008
UK
I'm curious, what do you use keywords for?

Google, Bing, Yahoo and most others no longer use them for their results.

They certainly don't give them the same importance as they used too...but whether they don't use them *at all* I'll leave that up to you to decide but personally I've seen changes after updating keywords ensuring the same content is on the page too...

jonnysods

macrumors G3
Sep 20, 2006
There & Back Again
Because they have dropped support for it I would move away from it, Rapidweaver is something close. They have lots of plugins that make it pretty close to iWeb's easy to use style.

But I would recommend spending a bit more time reading and learning and using WordPress.

LawrenZza

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 14, 2009
Code:
<head> <meta name="description" content="This is an example of a meta description. This will often show up in search results."> </head>

do i insert this is the html snippet? will it appear on my webpage? (or it's hidden)

im wondering how can i insert this meta tag in my webpage. will it affect my webpage content?:confused:

HarryPot

macrumors 65816
Sep 5, 2009
do i insert this is the html snippet? will it appear on my webpage? (or it's hidden)

im wondering how can i insert this meta tag in my webpage. will it affect my webpage content?:confused:

This goes inside the <head> tag. I normally put it before/after the <title> tag.

And no, it won't affect your webpage content. It will only affect the text that appears in Google. (The black letter below the blue link).

Code:
<head>
    <meta name="description" content="Put your webpage description here. What you put here is really important." />
    <meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=UTF-8" />

<title>My Webpage Title</title>
</head>

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.