PDA

View Full Version : Need help knowing what to buy

Rlanoue
Sep 2, 2012, 05:49 PM
I'm in the market for a laptop, and I'm wanting to switch from PC to Mac. I have an iPhone 4s and an iPad 2. It seems that the logical direction would be to go with Mac since I have Apple mobile devices.

My main dilemma is that I'm trying to find something in the $500-$600 range, and that limits me a lot. What I'm looking for is, what do I need to know before making a purchase?

Here's what I DO know:
1. I need something with at least an intel core duo processor (is this the newest?)
2. I'd like at least 2 GIGs of RAM.
3. Hard Drive space needs to be around 300 Gigs.
4. I need at least Lion to get all the benefits of iCloud and syncing all devices (is this correct?

What else do I need to consider?

thanks in advance for any help you all can provide!

Sep 2, 2012, 05:52 PM
600 dollars max?!... OP you need to go windows based. Mac is out of your league.

grumpycompuprof
Sep 2, 2012, 05:55 PM
Brand new? I don't foresee a Mac in your future. But maybe an advance on holiday and birthday presents maybe some business or education discount from Apple get you closer to $1000.

asting
Sep 2, 2012, 05:57 PM
Does it have to be a laptop? If so the macbook air isn't going to work, especially for that price, because of your 300GB harddrive stipulation.

If not:
http://www.amazon.com/Apple-MC815LL-Desktop-NEWEST-VERSION/dp/B004YLCLM6/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1346626672&sr=8-1&keywords=mac+mini
Then pick up 2x 4gb ram dimms for about $~40 and you'll have 8gb of ram, much more reasonable than the 2 you listed as a requirement. It does come with 2, so you can upgrade at any point.

Of course this doesn't include a monitor, mouse, keyboard, or speakers. so figure $~200 could get a 1920*1080 monitor and those peripherals if you don't already have them.

diazj3
Sep 2, 2012, 05:59 PM
You don't have to post your question twice - pick a forum and delete the duplicate post.

Your best option would be to buy a 2nd hand mac. I dont think you can get a new one for that money - unless you find a 2009 mini/macbook/imac or later model online... but I wouldn't bet on it.

Any post 2008 mac will do. If you buy 2nd hand, just be careful not to get scammed, and that it is in fairly good condition.

Or, try to lift your budget limit, and get a refurbished one.

cheers.

WesCole
Sep 2, 2012, 06:44 PM
As others have said, $600 is not really enough to get a Mac laptop. If you already have a keyboard, mouse, and monitor, you could pick up a Mac mini as another member recommended.

I would suggest saving up for a little bit and then you can get something a little better.

tdhurst
Sep 2, 2012, 07:54 PM
You're not going to get a decent, even used, Apple laptop for $600.

And two gigs of ram is barely enough.

Check the 13" MBP refurbs. You're likely to get the best deal there.

PortableLover
Sep 3, 2012, 08:55 AM
If you don't need a laptop, perhaps you could get the Mac Mini.., starts at 599

2gb ram
500gb hard drive
and it has an intel i5 processor, much better than the older core 2 duo processors. Core 2 Duo processors were phased out years ago. A macbook air however is out of your price range atm. You could save up for a bit, if you do not need it yet.

What kind of things do you do on your computer? If its simple web browsing, email, movies, writing documents etc... I think the iPad 2 will be enough for any mobile use and you could use the mac mini for home use.

asting
Sep 3, 2012, 09:18 AM
http://store.apple.com/us/browse/home/specialdeals/mac/macbook_air?afid=p201%7C552179&cid=AOS-US-AFF-CPU
$79 over budget, but it got you there.

Stetrain
Sep 3, 2012, 11:33 AM
I would reccomend looking for a used 13" Macbook Pro, maybe 2009 model. If you can get one in good condition in your budget range it will be a great machine, especially since you can upgrade the RAM and hard drive yourself.