Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

parrafin

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 23, 2012
Was wondering if anyone had the modified FX4500 ROM that would work for flashing a WinPC card to my G5, the OEM one from mac elite needs hex editing to work with non apple BTO FX4500's..

Thanks ahead.

parrafin

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 23, 2012
What's wrong with using the Mac Edition, with proper firmware??

I got given a HP workstation which had a FX4500 in it and wanted to see how it compared to my 7800GTX 512mb. The file exists, it's just where!

VanneDC

macrumors 6502a
Jun 5, 2010
Dubai, UAE
ive flashed a pc fx4500 with the rom from mac elite, worked just fine...

(unless theve changed in the last 3 years??)

666sheep

macrumors 68040
Dec 7, 2009
Poland

Me too, but there were fev revs of 4500, and some don't seem to work with PPC ROM OOTB but only with Intel one. I had both but I did realize that after reading some posts on strangedogs. Luckily I've tried correct ROMs on correct cards.

parrafin

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 23, 2012
Me too, but there were fev revs of 4500, and some don't seem to work with PPC ROM OOTB but only with Intel one. I had both but I did realize that after reading some posts on strangedogs. Luckily I've tried correct ROMs on correct cards.

The flash was successful but when I tried to put into my mac, it just outputted a grey screen with red shapes all over. I'll have another go with the one from mac elite though..

It's a HP one if it's any help?

Thanks!

----------

Who manufactured your card?
Cheers

666sheep

macrumors 68040
Dec 7, 2009
Poland
The flash was successful but when I tried to put into my mac, it just outputted a grey screen with red shapes all over. I'll have another go with the one from mac elite though..

It's a HP one if it's any help?

Thanks!

Yep, same issue as SD members got, and the same card.
Someone there did notice that only versions with RAM chips on both sides were working with PPC ROMs correctly. Unfortunately I can't confirm it myself because all cards I've flashed were perfectly working after flashing and I don't remember which ones had chips on one/both sides.

parrafin

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 23, 2012
A 7800GTX 512MB would perform better than a Quadro FX4500.

I know, I've already got one! But I have no use for the FX4500 and got it for free so may as well try and flash it!

And they can run two displays at 2560x1600, which the 7800GTX cannot.

Nameci

macrumors 68000
Oct 29, 2010
The Philippines...
I know, I've already got one! But I have no use for the FX4500 and got it for free so may as well try and flash it!

And they can run two displays at 2560x1600, which the 7800GTX cannot.

The 7800GTX 512MB has 2 dual link DVI which basically could drive two 30" ACD. The same as with the QFX 4500. Unless what you have is the 7800GT which only have one dual link dvi and one single link dvi.

parrafin

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 23, 2012
The 7800GTX 512MB has 2 dual link DVI which basically could drive two 30" ACD. The same as with the QFX 4500. Unless what you have is the 7800GT which only have one dual link dvi and one single link dvi.

The 7800GTX has only one dual-link DVI. See this site for verification.

http://www.barefeats.com/mutant4.html

----------

Yep, same issue as SD members got, and the same card.
Someone there did notice that only versions with RAM chips on both sides were working with PPC ROMs correctly. Unfortunately I can't confirm it myself because all cards I've flashed were perfectly working after flashing and I don't remember which ones had chips on one/both sides.

Okay, would it flash for a Mac Pro then? Also, when I try to put the dumped /saved original ROM back it doesn't flash it. I also tried downloading the file of MKVtech's repository and that didn't work either

Thanks!

666sheep

macrumors 68040
Dec 7, 2009
Poland
Okay, would it flash for a Mac Pro then? Also, when I try to put the dumped /saved original ROM back it doesn't flash it. I also tried downloading the file of MKVtech's repository and that didn't work either

It should flash for MP without issues. What exactly do you mean by "it doesn't flash it"? What nvflash says? Some Nvidia cards (or rather EEPROM + card combinations) do need eraseeeprom command to be executed if flasher gives errors.

parrafin

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 23, 2012
It should flash for MP without issues. What exactly do you mean by "it doesn't flash it"? What nvflash says? Some Nvidia cards (or rather EEPROM + card combinations) do need eraseeeprom command to be executed if flasher gives errors.

Okay, thanks!

I dump the ROM to a separate floppy, (nvflash -b command) and then attempt to flash the original BIOS onto the card which results in an error code with lots of lines with 0's in them (cannot remember the error at the moment). This happens whether I use the ROM that I dumped and saved when first attempting the flash or if I download the BIOS on the reverse of the card of a online repository.

I have never seen the error before and have flashed many cards, of which a lot were unsuccessful which normally at least flash back to PC so it confused me a bit when it wouldn't flash back to PC.

Cheers.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.