PDA

View Full Version : Running PowerMac G5 off IDE

Zeke D
Sep 2, 2012, 07:54 PM
I got my g5 running again by daisy chaining an IDE hard drive on the same channel as the optical. Any reason I can't run it this way indefinitely?

JoeG4
Sep 2, 2012, 08:02 PM
The hard drive will work fine that way! For a good 6 or 8 months or so, I was running my G5 off a crappy 60gb IDE drive. It was slow, and it sucked.. but it worked fine.

I wonder how you crammed that in there! I couldn't fit both the hard drive and optical drive, so I just took out the optical drive.

Zeke D
Sep 2, 2012, 08:56 PM
The hard drive will work fine that way! For a good 6 or 8 months or so, I was running my G5 off a crappy 60gb IDE drive. It was slow, and it sucked.. but it worked fine.

I wonder how you crammed that in there! I couldn't fit both the hard drive and optical drive, so I just took out the optical drive.

There is enough room in the case for a full sized IDE drive on top of the optical drive with about 6mm to spare.

I found an IDE cable that had enough slack for me to turn the tower upside down, and stick the IDE drive in first, then connect and insert the optical. The power is just a splitter.

It is a crappy 60gb drive! I am gonna root around and see if I can find a drive with an 8mb cache, because I think the one I am using is only a 2mb cache.

Goftrey
Sep 3, 2012, 06:26 AM
Sweet! I have a 160gb IDE laying around that I could easily bung in there. Nice job!

GermanyChris
Sep 3, 2012, 06:33 AM
Sweet! I have a 160gb IDE laying around that I could easily bung in there. Nice job!

Sure but why?

Zeke D
Sep 3, 2012, 08:53 AM
Sure but why?

I agree. I only do it to keep this pos alive until a replacement arrives via boat.

Goftrey
Sep 3, 2012, 11:47 AM
Sure but why?

Just as a storage drive, maybe for the iTunes library & other random stuff. The more space the better! I really couldn't care less about speed if it's not going to be used for anything intense. Heck I was using a 40gb ATA/66 drive in my eMac for everything back last year.

GermanyChris
Sep 3, 2012, 03:38 PM
Just as a storage drive, maybe for the iTunes library & other random stuff. The more space the better! I really couldn't care less about speed if it's not going to be used for anything intense. Heck I was using a 40gb ATA/66 drive in my eMac for everything back last year.

What ever works for you.

Zeke D
Sep 3, 2012, 09:59 PM
I found a maxtor 40gb with 8mb cache. Is it worth messing with over he drive with a mb cache?