PDA

View Full Version : Brand new MBA & Silverlight fan noise

Magrathea
Sep 3, 2012, 12:09 AM
Just got the top of the line MBA i7 13 inch. I've run into a problem with Netflix - when playing video the fans come on full tilt but the CPU usage appears to be low 30% - very strange but odd because all other video plays flawlessly including flash 1080p on youtube with no fan noise at all.

Very odd and looks like I won't be able to use my new MBA to watch Netflix movies while I'm lying in bed.

jbzcar
Sep 3, 2012, 12:39 AM
Just got the top of the line MBA i7 13 inch. I've run into a problem with Netflix - when playing video the fans come on full tilt but the CPU usage appears to be low 30% - very strange but odd because all other video plays flawlessly including flash 1080p on youtube with no fan noise at all.

Very odd and looks like I won't be able to use my new MBA to watch Netflix movies while I'm lying in bed.

What are your CPU temps when watching? I use iStat Menus to monitor my temps and control my fan speed. That way I can speed it up or slow it down if I want/need to.

Magrathea
Sep 4, 2012, 01:15 AM
What are your CPU temps when watching? I use iStat Menus to monitor my temps and control my fan speed. That way I can speed it up or slow it down if I want/need to.

Not sure but if my CPU usage is low, temp must be low so it's the Intel 4000 GPU that's heating up and causing the fans to come on, must be a silverlight bug as this laptop plays 1080p flash without breaking a sweat.