PDA

View Full Version : Microsoft declares war on the iPod

MacBytes
Aug 11, 2005, 04:08 PM
http://www.macbytes.com/images/bytessig.gif (http://www.macbytes.com)

Category: Microsoft
Link: Microsoft declares war on the iPod (http://www.macbytes.com/link.php?sid=20050811160818)

Posted on MacBytes.com (http://www.macbytes.com)
Approved by Mudbug

devilot
Aug 11, 2005, 04:11 PM
He also promised that by the spring 2006, "there will be a whole range of products that can compete with Apple in industrial design, usability, functionality and features."

Determined to make its Windows Media software a standard for digital media, Microsoft has begun working more closely with third party companies, including Creative Technology and others.

Apple holds 75 per cent of the music player market, transforming its QuickTime-based iTunes software into the de fact digital media standard, despite Microsoft's protests to the contrary. I find it hard to believe that Microsoft will really be able to pull this off...

spaz
Aug 11, 2005, 04:20 PM
I find it hard to believe that Microsoft will really be able to pull this off...

I find it hard to believe another "war" against the iPod is going to work. Wasn't "plays for sure" Microsoft's "war" against iPod? What about Creative waging "war" against iPod.

Granted, other manufacturers are getting a foothold, but how many "wars" are going to be waged against the iPod?

Some_Big_Spoon
Aug 11, 2005, 04:29 PM
Well, as with everything Microsoft does, it'll come down to dubious legal tactics.

Watch for them strong-arming OEMs, suing OEMs, breaking compatibility with itunes/ipod, or just literally giving players away to anyone and everyone.

Microsoft's only strength is destroying choice, it's the only talent they have, and they'll resort to anything, and I mean anything to eliminate choice, because when people actually have a choice, they tend to leave mob control.

nagromme
Aug 11, 2005, 04:30 PM
Spring 2006?

There is no WAY Apple has time to advance the iPod beyond where it is now in that amount of time! Look out, MS is coming! ;)

stridey
Aug 11, 2005, 04:34 PM
Well, Mahatma Gandhi once said:

First, they ignore you. Then they laugh at you. Then they fight you. Then you win. :D

Sun Baked
Aug 11, 2005, 04:34 PM
Creative's whine & pleas on the other end of the phone as they kept getting soundly spanked in the marketplace after declaring their war against the iPod.

Seems like Creative finally found out that they couldn't do it alone. :p

Of course now MS is going to be attacking not just Apple, but all the music companies when they launch their full frontal against their websites.

winmacguy
Aug 11, 2005, 04:42 PM
Thinking about it from another angle, I would love to be working for one of the companies putting the ad campaign together :D :cool:

LaMerVipere
Aug 11, 2005, 04:46 PM
Umm...best of luck. :rolleyes:

SFVCyclone
Aug 11, 2005, 04:51 PM
before the mighty mouse i thought microsoft was a good mouse maker but not anymore :D

hob
Aug 11, 2005, 04:56 PM
What is it with you Americans and your wars?

War on Drugs - Failed
War on Terror - ummm...
War in Iraq - Fiasco
War on iPod - It's gonna fail. I'll tell you why - ITS NOT MEANT TO BE A WAR! Apple got in on the sly... noone noticed them coming, and they had the superior product. It's too late Microsoft. Give up!

Lacero
Aug 11, 2005, 04:59 PM
Even if Microsoft offered everyone a free MP3 player, I still wouldn't use it. Apple's stuff is so easy to use, I doubt Microsoft could come close.

SiliconAddict
Aug 11, 2005, 05:02 PM
Watch MS dump $100 million into the market and buy a large chunk of one of the major labels. Mark my words. They will do it.

SiliconAddict
Aug 11, 2005, 05:03 PM

War on Drugs - Failed
War on Terror - ummm...
War in Iraq - Fiasco
War on iPod - It's gonna fail. I'll tell you why - ITS NOT MEANT TO BE A WAR! Apple got in on the sly... noone noticed them coming, and they had the superior product. It's too late Microsoft. Give up!

Its the bigger dick policy in action. See George Carlin for further info on the subject. Sorry guys. I had to. :D

speleoterra
Aug 11, 2005, 05:09 PM
They have ALOT of cash to do this though thats whats scary.
Just like they LOSE money for every Xbox purchased.

but MS has NO integrity for products,...do you think a
kid in high school is going to come around showing off his
MS product to his friends who are crowded around in a circle
Podding each other? They'll be like what the f'k is that man?, its not an iPod.
And if MS thinks they can just create a product for the purposes of competition they'll lose.
Apple created a system to a product, that's why it works. War over.

greatdevourer
Aug 11, 2005, 05:30 PM
What makes this really funny is that 80% of M$ employees own an iPod :p

applemacdude
Aug 11, 2005, 05:34 PM
Jihad! Jihad! ;)

mrsebastian
Aug 11, 2005, 05:44 PM
this sounds like some [bleep] i'd expect from drunk guy at the bar, talking out of his [bleep]. yeah sure longhorn/vista/whatever will come out, but it's looking more and more like a slightly better version of xp. as has been said, the only real way i can see m$ gaining substantial ground, is to through lots of money around. practically giving away music players and hoping they can sell music to recover some of the costs. this plan will of course continue the down fall of m$ in the long run, because in general people are still sick and tired of windows and m$.

Statik
Aug 11, 2005, 05:54 PM
"there will be a whole range of products that can compete with Apple in industrial design, usability, functionality and features."

When is the xBox due for release again? I wouldn't put it past MS to tie their music store right into the ROM of every xbox sold, which of course would be iPod incompatible.

Nah... they'd never do something underhanded and anti-competitive like that... *rolls eyes*

.Andy
Aug 11, 2005, 06:17 PM
The only way Microsoft could possibly do this is by following the x-box model. Practically give away their players whilst making a massive loss to obtain market-share. Then they'll have to start buying into the interests of the record companies and/or just buy up record companies where possible.

Even after doing this I highly doubt they'll ever be able to compete on ease of use and industrial design and function. Give me a break :rolleyes:.

nagromme
Aug 11, 2005, 06:33 PM

Hey, easy on the generalizations :) We're not ALL brawn-over-brains types :)

Moonlight
Aug 11, 2005, 07:08 PM

Whats with you Europeans and your "What is it with you Americans" speaches ?? :rolleyes:

otter-boy
Aug 11, 2005, 07:19 PM

War on Drugs - Failed
War on Terror - ummm...
War in Iraq - Fiasco

Um, Creative is headquartered in Singapore, where CEO Sim Wong Hoo declared his "war" on the iPod last year.

PlaceofDis
Aug 11, 2005, 07:30 PM
::: pointing finger at MS :::: hahahahahahahahahaha!

zelmo
Aug 11, 2005, 07:54 PM
"insanely late"

Fantastic! I need the t-shirt.

wowoah
Aug 11, 2005, 07:56 PM

War on Drugs - Failed
War on Terror - ummm...
War in Iraq - Fiasco

You forgot FDR's "War on Crime" and LBJ's "War on Poverty." :P

Oh, and it's not War on Terror anymore. Rumsfeld now prefers the sweeter, softer slogan "Global Struggle Against Extremism." Geez, if you uppity Europeans are gonna America-bash, at least get your stuff straight. :)

treblah
Aug 11, 2005, 09:03 PM
Speaking to Bloomberg News, the head of Microsoft's Digital Media Division, Erik Huggers, warned: "Come this fall there is going to be a number of devices that get close to competing with Apple's iPod."

He also promised that by the spring 2006, "there will be a whole range of products that can compete with Apple in industrial design, usability, functionality and features."

Lets see. Apple releases the iPod in 2001. The basic software/design has not changed yet it still takes everyone else 5 years to get close to its design and usability. Yup, thats about right.

simX
Aug 11, 2005, 11:24 PM

Oh, and it's not War on Terror anymore. Rumsfeld now prefers the sweeter, softer slogan "Global Struggle Against Extremism." Geez, if you uppity Europeans are gonna America-bash, at least get your stuff straight. :)

Hee hee hee... another Daily Show viewer? :)

The "Insanely Late" moniker is new to me, though. It's BRILLIANT, though, for those of us who get the joke. :)

GodBless
Aug 12, 2005, 12:52 AM
Apple's world class solutions already command the market. This means the firm has become a prime target for consumer electronics companies, who are, "just not going to let them get away with it", Huggers warned.Agreed 100%.

Blackheart
Aug 12, 2005, 12:54 AM
The problem with the competition is that they are making players for the sole purpose of beating the iPod. If they really want to beat the iPod they simply need to make a really good player... beating the iPod will come as a secondary accomplishment if it truly is a better player.

GodBless
Aug 12, 2005, 03:45 AM
The problem with the competition is that they are making players for the sole purpose of beating the iPod. If they really want to beat the iPod they simply need to make a really good player... beating the iPod will come as a secondary accomplishment if it truly is a better player.Yes. To make something truly great one must develop something truly different. That is why Windows Vista won't beat OS X since it is a copy and not original.

Belly-laughs
Aug 12, 2005, 05:57 AM
…Erik Huggers, warned: "Come this fall there is going to be a number of devices that get close to competing with Apple's iPod."

So, heīs admitting the iPod is better than any of the MS compatible offerings. But getting close really isnīt good enough, is it? And thereīs the software bit as well.

When do we expect the next generation ipods? This autumn?

mrgreen4242
Aug 12, 2005, 07:52 AM
It's very simple to see what MS's plans are here... The XBox 360 has a removable HD available and it will undoubtably be a portable music player as well. They are going to be practically giving the lower capacity ones out, if I had to guess, and the larger ones will be subsidized. You will be able to rip CDs from your XBox onto the HDD as you can now, but the difference will be that the HDD is an "iPod". The XBox Live service will automatically link you into the MS Music store, and the device will be compatible with all the WMA selling stores out there (Napster, WalMart, etc).

Will they get a giant surge in market share? Yes, people are probably going to buy the XBox and they will likely be buying HDD to go with it. Will it actually compete with the iPod in either total market share, or more importantly, mind share? Not a chance.

The only chance they have is to get them cheap enough that you can buy them by the bakers dozen AND have a video system to let you buy movies CHEAPLY online and play them back through your XBox or computer or whatever. Even then, I wouldn't count on them getting more than 10% of Apples customers, and I would bet that of that 10% half still buy an iPod.

hob
Aug 12, 2005, 08:33 AM
Whats with you Europeans and your "What is it with you Americans" speaches ?? :rolleyes:
b-b-b-but i LOVE sweeping generalisations!

hmmm, maybe we should declare a war on generalisations... :D

mainstreetmark
Aug 12, 2005, 09:15 AM
In my opinion, the only thing that really has a chance to do some damage is a player that has no internal drive, but accepts external jump drives of any size (even an external USB harddrive, if you have one laying around). That would be a clever, if less portable, little device.

Mr.Hostility
Aug 12, 2005, 10:28 AM
Maybe it's time they declare war on the 1828399393838 security holes in their products. Or maybe declare war on removing slated features of Vista.

Jesus, this is coming from a guy who primarily uses a windows box at home, and has to administer this sh..stuff all day long. :(

macnulty
Aug 12, 2005, 10:39 AM
Basically what this is another MS attempt to freeze buyers about ready to buy. The thrust being don't buy yet, we got something as good or better coming soon. It's one of the oldest tricks in the sales book, after all, sales is the oldest profession contrary to conventional wisdom.

WinterMute
Aug 12, 2005, 10:46 AM
If Psychosoft start throwing money at content and, as was suggested earlier, they tie up some very good acts contractually it could hurt iPod sales, especially if they deliberately output on a format that the iPods can't play.

It's the only way I can see of M$ even making a dent.

Still, those of us with a brain will simply convert the audio back to AAC after an analog dub or go buy the CD. No artist will willingly let a distributor limit their availability in the marketplace.

having so much money to play with is a worry mind.

hob
Aug 12, 2005, 09:44 PM

I'm sorry to other Europeans on the board!

I did see that in Toronto's Globe and Mail and of course the ever-present CNN, whilst I was on holiday.

It made me chuckle so much I'm surprised I forgot it/didn't write it down. Wasn't it Global Struggle Against Islamic Extremism though? I may have imagined that part, which is disturbing either way...