Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Nathan20

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 19, 2012
Just an idea for a quick way to clear all of your unwanted notifications which clutter your notification centre, because i have heard many complaints about there being no easy way to clear all notifications and the little cross button to delete them one app at a time is tedious and too small.

It would work exactly like pull to refresh in the new mail app in iOS 6, with the same animation, but would clear all notifications.
Just wanted your thoughts on it and hope Apple implement it.
(if not a quick toggle for DND like in Mountain lion would be great)

[Updated with a cross sign instead of arrow, to help show that user is pulling to clear]

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2012-09-03 at 12.43.43.png
    Screen Shot 2012-09-03 at 12.43.43.png
    588.8 KB · Views: 158
  • Screen Shot 2012-09-03 at 16.41.09.png
    Screen Shot 2012-09-03 at 16.41.09.png
    504.5 KB · Views: 70
Last edited:

SteveAbootman

macrumors 6502a
May 12, 2008
We need something that's for sure, and I think you're on the right track with a gesture, but my only worry is that it'd be inconsistent with pull to refresh. When in mail, it'd refresh, when in notifications all would be cleared; not a good thing to lose some important notifications because you've been pulling to refresh (emerging as a standard control) for many apps.

Maybe to take your concept and flip it, you could "push to clear". Once you've scrolled to the bottom. You need to make an additional push up with your finger to evoke the clear. This would work exactly like pull to refresh does so accidentally doing it would be difficult. Upon release, all items are cleared.

Just my 2 cents.

Bilalo

macrumors 6502
Aug 17, 2012
Oxford, England
We need something that's for sure, and I think you're on the right track with a gesture, but my only worry is that it'd be inconsistent with pull to refresh. When in mail, it'd refresh, when in notifications all would be cleared; not a good thing to lose some important notifications because you've been pulling to refresh (emerging as a standard control) for many apps.

Maybe to take your concept and flip it, you could "push to clear". Once you've scrolled to the bottom. You need to make an additional push up with your finger to evoke the clear. This would work exactly like pull to refresh does so accidentally doing it would be difficult. Upon release, all items are cleared.

Just my 2 cents.

I second that, they gotta make an X at the top and when you press on it, it says are you sure you want to delete all notifications, because a simple refresh, that might happen by accident or something

Nathan20

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 19, 2012

Just my 2 cents.

Totally agree, just thought I would put an idea out there. But I don't fell push to clear feels as natural although it does solve the clearing and refreshing confusion.

Beta Particle

macrumors 6502a
Jun 25, 2012
Seems like a bad idea to use the same gesture as refreshing—getting new content—to clear all your notifications. Especially when you already pull the notification centre down with a swipe from the top of the screen.

I’d say that if anything were to be introduced, it should be the standard horizontal swipe to delete.

Then again, if this is a frequent problem for you, you may want to reconsider what apps you are allowing, and how you are using notifications.

Nathan20

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 19, 2012
Seems like a bad idea to use the same gesture as refreshing—getting new content—to clear all your notifications. Especially when you already pull the notification centre down with a swipe from the top of the screen.

I’d say that if anything were to be introduced, it should be the standard horizontal swipe to delete.

Then again, if this is a frequent problem for you, you may want to reconsider what apps you are allowing, and how you are using notifications.

It's not really a huge problem for me, just an idea for a quick way to remove all notifications. I want to hear other peoples suggestions.

WordMasterRice

macrumors 6502a
Aug 3, 2010
Upstate NY
Maybe if Apple works out how Pull to Refresh should work then they can do something like this. Apple had how many years of Apps using pull to refresh on their own and they still mess it up?

pist Apple - Pull to refresh works on the release, not the pull.

mactumors

macrumors 6502
Aug 3, 2008
Probably the worst idea ever. Right up there with "click refresh to delete everything."

0dev

macrumors 68040
Dec 22, 2009
I can't help thinking this implementation for refreshing and clearing is just copying Tweetie/Twitter for iOS.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.