Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cthesky

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 21, 2011
Hi all,

I am using XCode 4.2 with IOS 5 to develop an application. This application doesn't include any new features provided in IOS 5.1. So, if I submit this app to App Store, can the users download it and run it on their IOS device with IOS 5.1?

Any comments and suggestions are appreciated.

Thanks a lot. :)

dejo

Moderator emeritus
Sep 2, 2004
The Centennial State
First, you should look up what API changes there were with 5.1. Then you should see if any of those changes affect your code. You should probably also try running your app on the simulator under 5.1. And lastly, iOS 6 is going to be released to the world soon. You should also check your app against it.

Last edited:

xStep

macrumors 68020
Jan 28, 2003
Less lost in L.A.
You should probably also try running your app on the simulator under 5.1. And lastly, iOS 6 is going to be released to the world soon. You should also check your app against it.

The 5.1 simulator comes with Xcode 4.3.x, so you cannot use it without hack I think. Perhaps he could copy from the package contents from a newer Xcode? Similar for 6. There is a hack to use the later 5.x.x SDK with Xcode 4.2, but I'm not convinced it is 100% healthy. Yes, I did it.

cthesky, are you stuck at 4.2, as my previous machine was? If not, I suggest you upgrade.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.