Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

persianpunisher

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 28, 2005
ok, so after weeks of constantly browsing these boards (you folks are great, btw, truly. You have helped me SO much), I made the switch. I purchased a 14" iBook with 100GB hard drive and 512MB RAM. I also picked up an HP All in one Printer and a greed ipod mini, all with student discount $1750 with tax. I hope everything turns out well. I was somewhat debating between the 12" and 14" but I needed the Superdrive, and was contemplating getting one installed thrida part for $200, but I think the 12" would be a bit too small. Some folks say that 1024x768 is crappy, but I am running that on my 18" CRT moniter and always have, I actually prefer it to any other resolution. I think I may pick up an iSight later, and an appropriate case, along with a mouse. I dont know if I should go with the BT one, or the regular wired one. I am hearing bad reviews on the mighty mouse, so i dont think I would go with that. Anyway, just wanted to share with you and to say thanks for all the help, you guys are one of the friendliest online communities I have ever been a part of. Thanks.

P.S. Oh, and any reccomendations on what I should add? I am going to add a 1gb stick of RAM and I think I may want to get Office, but I think I just may "beat the system" and download it.

mad jew

Moderator emeritus
Apr 3, 2004
Adelaide, Australia
Nice buy. :)

As for things you should add, I recommend getting Office legitimately. I've got it and I use it quite a bit. Others will recommend alternatives but to be honest, I find Office the easiest.

The 1GB chip will massively speed things up too. :)

EGT

macrumors 68000
Sep 4, 2003
Congratulations!! :)

You got a pretty good setup there. I use office quite a bit also but apart from that, i don't think there's much else you need. The iLife apps are all pretty cool, couldn't live without them.

Good luck :cool:

persianpunisher

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 28, 2005
I have friends who have gotten office off of P2P, so I think I may do that. $150 up front is kinda steep

mad jew

Moderator emeritus
Apr 3, 2004
Adelaide, Australia
Not allowed to talk about pirating software 'round here. We might get the site admin in trouble. :(

Anyway, using P2P is pretty risky. I'm gonna ride off into the sunset, up on my moral high horse and say that you should probably just buy it. :)

persianpunisher

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 28, 2005
Whoops, sorry about that. I dont know ANY p2p programs for Mac though. yeah, I know its $50 AFTER rebate, i just dont have $150 to spend right away

Lacero

macrumors 604
Jan 20, 2005
mad jew said:
Not allowed to talk about pirating software 'round here. We might get the site admin in trouble. :(
It's alright. We're talking about Microsoft.

.Andy

macrumors 68030
Jul 18, 2004
The Mergui Archipelago
persianpunisher said:
Whoops, sorry about that. I dont know ANY p2p programs for Mac though. yeah, I know its $50 AFTER rebate, i just dont have $150 to spend right away
I think that Mac Office still has a 30 day trial around if you want to give it a bash anyway. You could also try and get your hands on an older version as well. For the vast majority (I'd say perhaps all) of functionality you'd require there's no need to lay down the cash for the newest version.

As for any freeware/shareware applications you might require check out Versiontracker for Mac OSX.

persianpunisher

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 28, 2005
Well, here's the REAL kicker, my uncle is in charge of product activation at Microsoft, so I can this title for free, along with any other MS software i want, BUT. I dont want him to pay for shipping, and I feel bad when he hooks me up with software, so I was thinking if it was possible to get it for like $10

londy

macrumors member
Jul 13, 2005
louisville, ky
have you checked with your school bookstore about office? or looked into student software (resales) at the university?

i find if interesting that you feel bad about getting software on a family hookup from a microsoft employee, but are willing to announce to all of cyberworld about potential piracy.

my vote? ask your uncle for the software (because you need it for school) and you foot the bill for shipping. that should be at or under $10. everything's cool and no one's broken the law ;)

eazy_e

macrumors newbie
Apr 16, 2005
You are obviously a higher education individual so go to your higher education institution and buy office from them. At UWO in Canada, it's only 19.95 :cool:

edit
oops, tooo slow

mduser63

macrumors 68040
Nov 9, 2004
Salt Lake City, UT
Congrats on the switch. I notice you're in SLC. I don't know what school you go to, but if it's the U, you can get Office Professional (including Virtual PC) for $66 from the school. PM me if you want more info (they have other good deals too).

ckeck

macrumors 6502a
Jul 29, 2005
Texas
persianpunisher said:
I have friends who have gotten office off of P2P, so I think I may do that. $150 up front is kinda steep

Head over to a near by public university and see if they have a contract with Microsoft and are selling their software for cheap.

Office for Mac 2004 runs only $19.95...so give someone $20 to buy it and $20 for their services! :eek:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.