PDA

View Full Version : Macbook Air and a Deployment

spank13
Sep 3, 2012, 03:27 PM
I've tried searching but can't find an answer to these questions. I'm specifically looking for someone who has been in this situation and their recommendations and experiences but all advice is appreciated.

Here is the back story:

I've bought my first Apple computer (MBA 2012) and I absolutely love it. Last month I received a notification for deployment and I will be spending a year out in Afghanistan.

1. Anyone have experience with taking a MBA to Afghanistan? If so, how did it fair? I'm concerned that the dusty environment along with the living conditions could lead to damage. I really hate the idea of buying a cheaper windows computer but I will if the overall consensus is to not bring the MBA.

2. If I do bring it, any ideas on durable must-have accessories? (keyboard guards, hardcases, etc.)

Thanks!

daveishere
Sep 3, 2012, 03:54 PM
I would get a shell for your Air (like a speck one or something) and a really durable case for it.

I'm sure a keyboard cover wouldn't go a miss too, as you mention dust might be a problem.

ericvmazzone
Sep 3, 2012, 04:04 PM
I had my MacBook Pro with me in Iraq in 2008. It held up just fine except for the abuse I put it under. I killed the dvd drive by running disks through it way too much, and bashed in the shell by dropping things on it. The worst I did to it was dropped a large external HDD on it. I bought it in Feb 2007 and I finally dumped it in 2009 after the internal HDD died, I upgraded to a 2008 MBA.

You should have no problems with bringing it with you to Afghanistan as long as you take care of it. Another thing you can do is if you bank with USAA or have insurance with them, you can add it onto your renters / homeowners policy. If it gets damaged from dust on your deployment USAA will cover it.

Have fun over there and come home safe!

Talon Six
Sep 4, 2012, 06:16 PM
Also consider that you're going to save enough $$$ just in HFP over there to be able to get a new one when you come back, if it comes to that. You'll be amazed at how much you can save over there, especially with the Savings Deposit Program.

My wife has had her MBP and iPad 2 at Bagram for four months now with no problems other than the omnipresent dust.

Good luck, stay safe, and keep a wary eye on your Afghan partners.