PDA

View Full Version : new to mac ( bought ibook )

gizmo_pony
Aug 11, 2005, 06:49 PM
hye yall ...

just droppin by to ask some newbie questions :

wuts d best webcam for ibook ?

how to create different partition from mac os x ?

wuts must have softwares for medical student like me ?

thanx in advance ... :)

mad jew
Aug 11, 2005, 06:54 PM
1. iSight (http://www.apple.com/isight/) is the best.

2. Use Disk Utility in the Utilities folder but you shouldn't need partitions. I wouldn't bother.

3. As a med student I pretty much just use Office. Everything else is built into OSX (Mail, iCal etc.)

gizmo_pony
Aug 11, 2005, 07:04 PM
1. iSight (http://www.apple.com/isight/) is the best.

2. Use Disk Utility in the Utilities folder but you shouldn't need partitions. I wouldn't bother.

3. As a med student I pretty much just use Office. Everything else is built into OSX (Mail, iCal etc.)

actually, i want to install linux on my ibook ... any suggestion wuts d best distro ?

for d medical software, i mean for references such as medical terms dictionary or anything else ...

anything dat is smaller than isight ?

gizmo_pony
Aug 11, 2005, 07:07 PM
i donno how to set up a new partition using disk utility .... any suggestion ?

:(

mad jew
Aug 11, 2005, 07:15 PM
From clicking Help in Disk Utility I came across this:

If you are partitioning an external hard disk, make sure it is connected to your computer.

In Disk Utility, select the disk that you want to partition in the list.

Click Partition.

Choose the number of partitions from the Volume Scheme pop-up menu.

Click each partition and type a name for it, choose a format, and type a size. You can also drag the divider between the partitions to change their sizes.

If a partion's name has an asterisk beside it, it's shown larger than its actual size in order to display its name legibly.

If you will use a volume as a Mac OS 9 startup disk, select the checkbox to install the Mac OS 9 drivers. You do not need to install these drivers to use the disk with the Classic environment.

If you will use the drive on a Windows computer, click Options and choose PC Partition Scheme from the pop-up menu.

Click the Partition button, then click Partition again.

gizmo_pony
Aug 11, 2005, 07:32 PM
From clicking Help in Disk Utility I came across this:

thanx for the answer ...

mad jew
Aug 11, 2005, 07:35 PM
No problem. Sorry, but I've got no idea of the best sort of Linux and I still think the iSight offers the best web cam experience on a Mac to date, but I haven't tried others. :o

As for med software, most of the stuff I use is online, from my uni's med page. I'd give you a link but you need passwords etc. Hasn't yours got the same?

ITASOR
Aug 11, 2005, 07:43 PM
Must. Refrain. From. Making. Comment. About. Internet. Shorthand. Talk.

persianpunisher
Aug 11, 2005, 07:44 PM
hye yall ...

Thank god, you werent an english major

gizmo_pony
Aug 11, 2005, 08:00 PM
Thank god, you werent an english major

:p

gizmo_pony
Aug 11, 2005, 08:01 PM
the isight is compatible with ym or others messenger, isnt it ?

OCOTILLO
Aug 11, 2005, 08:04 PM
hye yall ...

I hope you learn how to spell before you start writing prescriptions.

ITASOR
Aug 11, 2005, 08:07 PM

"Plz take 2 a dis pillz 4 timez a day if ur a boi. Wut u dnt wana do iz take d pillz 2 mch"

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!1111111

gizmo_pony
Aug 11, 2005, 08:07 PM

i will ...
:p

persianpunisher
Aug 11, 2005, 08:22 PM
Alright, enough making fun. I feel bad. I am sorry

gizmo_pony
Aug 11, 2005, 08:24 PM
Alright, enough making fun. I feel bad. I am sorry

i am not that sensitive though ...
:D

ITASOR
Aug 11, 2005, 09:33 PM
i am not that sensitive though ...
:D

I was just joking around man, have fun with the iBook! :)

sirron
Aug 11, 2005, 09:40 PM
i will ...

Sorry. If you don't know how to spell now, you're too late. It's sad, the spelling in the USA.
:p :mad: :mad: :( :(

Lara F
Aug 11, 2005, 09:45 PM
I'm a med student, and I can't really say I've used much software on my computer after the first semester (since my school gave out stuff for anatomy and histo). Where I *do* use med software is on my Palm handheld, but that doesn't really come into use till third year. But maybe others will have suggestions, a good place to check is the forums at www.studentdoctor.net.

Enjoy the iBook! I love my iMac but would be thrilled to have an Apple notebook.

gizmo_pony
Aug 12, 2005, 08:27 AM
thanx yall for supporting me with my ibook .. :p ... i think mac os x is gud but it is not easy for me to learn it fast.

mad jew
Aug 12, 2005, 08:29 AM
It's very intuitive. You'll find it easier than you think IMO. :)

gizmo_pony
Aug 12, 2005, 08:33 AM
It's very intuitive. You'll find it easier than you think IMO. :)

ermmm ... do u think i need to install any antivirus on my ibook ? is it safe to use default firewall provided by mac os x ?

thanx

mad jew
Aug 12, 2005, 08:36 AM
Do not install any antivirus software. It will do more harm than good by using up resources protecting your machine from monsters that don't exist...

...yet. :p

There are no viruses out in the wild for OSX yet so the only reasons for antivirus software are to protect other PCs (Macs can still pass them on eve if they are not directly affected by them) or if you need the software to join an office or institutional network.

20rogersc
Aug 12, 2005, 09:05 AM
wuts must have softwares for medical student like me ?[/QUOTE]The only software that I would think you would need is a word processing app. Mac:Office is good, but there are some great freeware apps that are just as useful. Try NeoOfficeJ (a whole office suite like M$) or Abiword (Just word processing).

Have a look at these two threads as well for handy apps:

The "Official" Must Have Free Apps/tools Thread (http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=95742)
What cool little OS X apps do you use? (http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=58101)

::20ROGERSC::

Plymouthbreezer
Aug 12, 2005, 10:14 AM
thanx yall for supporting me with my ibook .. :p ... i think mac os x is gud but it is not easy for me to learn it fast.

Tiger has built in spell check, although you'll still have to mind the capitalization, grammar, and punctuation yourself. :p