Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

lil' brudder

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 14, 2007
Minneapolis, MN
Hey Guys and Gals,
My 2012 11" MacBook Air (see signature) running 10.8.1 has been acting up today. My headphone jack, for some reason, is not working. See symptoms/info below:

• I plug headphones or a 1/8" jack into it and it continues to play through the internal speakers.
  • When a cable is plugged in, only three outputs are available: LogMeIn, Internal Speakers, and my AppleTV
  • Restarting (multiple times) hasn't helped
  • The first time I restarted, it took about 5 minutes to boot to login screen rather than the normal 3-5 seconds.
  • I've babied this machine - no drops, bumps, spills, etc
  • If I put the machine to sleep and wake it up with the headphones in, they work sometimes

Any Idea what's going on?

falterego

macrumors 6502
Dec 28, 2008
Southern California
I've seen the opposite problem, where the computer thinks there are always headphones plugged in. That usually needs a logic board replacement to fix. I'd backup your data and see what can be done at the Apple store.

lil' brudder

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 14, 2007
Minneapolis, MN
Boo.... I was really hoping I could avoid doing that. I don't see it as a hardware problem though, given that it works perfectly fine when you wake it from sleep with the headphones plugged in.

I've seen the opposite problem, where the computer thinks there are always headphones plugged in. That usually needs a logic board replacement to fix. I'd backup your data and see what can be done at the Apple store.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.