Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MattInOz

macrumors 68030
Jan 19, 2006
Sydney
I find it an odd assumption that passbook ignores NFC.
It seems to me while it could operate without NFC support would add a lot of scope for it to expand.

Menel

Suspended
Aug 4, 2011
I find it an odd assumption that passbook ignores NFC.
It seems to me while it could operate without NFC support would add a lot of scope for it to expand.
Yes, NFC expansion is possible for the future of Passbook. This article is talking more near-term, just don't hold your breath for the rumored announcement next week of iPhone 6 to have NFC.

thewitt

macrumors 68020
Sep 13, 2011
Yes, NFC expansion is possible for the future of Passbook. This article is talking more near-term, just don't hold your breath for the rumored announcement next week of iPhone 6 to have NFC.

There is no reason for it not to have NFC

iChillax

macrumors regular
Mar 10, 2010
i'm looking forward to it. See the growth of technology in each industry.

applesith

macrumors 68030
Jun 11, 2007
Manhattan
Allowing retailers to customize their passport item to their current bar code/scanning interface will allow a larger adoption rate than requiring all participants to have specific hardware for accepting payments. Barcode scanners are inexpensive and just about every store has them.

Patriot24

macrumors 68030
Dec 29, 2010
California
Great read - thanks for the link.

I have been convinced that NFC was the missing link for Passbook to be useful. Reading this article really opened my eyes to a different way of thinking about it and it makes a lot of sense now.

NFC or not, I have high hopes for Passbook going forward. My hope is that the functionality is expanded in time to handle receipts at stores/restaurants/etc. Apple could easily market such a feature as a way to reduce paper waste and help the planet.

VSMacOne

macrumors 603
Oct 18, 2008
I couldn't care less about NFC if Apple can do something better with mobile payments. NFC is pretty small right now, because there are very few places you can actually use it.
If Passbook is any indication, they might have a different animal in mind for somewhere down the road.

ThisIsNotMe

Suspended
Aug 11, 2008
The fact of the matter is that the vast majority of major retailers (IE those who are the target) have infrastructure in place to scan QR codes.

On the flip side the vast majority DOES NOT have infrastructure to accept NFC payments.

So, Apple could go the route that has nearly 100% market penetration in their target markets or deploy technology that 99% of its user base has no use for because its not being used.

Hrm. Tough decision.

Until there is a STANDARD in place regarding NFC payments, Apple isn't going to touch it.

Oletros

macrumors 603
Jul 27, 2009
Premià de Mar
Daniel Eran Dilger trying to justify the absence of NFC like he tried to convince that Flyover is a better alternative to Street View.

VSMacOne

macrumors 603
Oct 18, 2008
Daniel Eran Dilger trying to justify the absence of NFC like he tried to convince that Flyover is a better alternative to Street View.

That's ok. NFC hasn't really gained any traction yet. Why bog down the battery and OS with something that hardly any stores know how to deal with? We know Apple doesn't play like that. Look at LTE.

Oletros

macrumors 603
Jul 27, 2009
Premià de Mar
That's ok. NFC hasn't really gained any traction yet. Why bog down the battery and OS with something that hardly any stores know how to deal with? We know Apple doesn't play like that. Look at LTE.

This, the absence of NFC doesn't need to be justified like he does trying to derail the competition. Apple can wait another year before implementing it and it will be ok.

Abazigal

Contributor
Jul 18, 2011
Singapore
If this is true, that is quite clever of apple. Now this is the sort of innovation which made me switch over in the first place! :D

WordMasterRice

macrumors 6502a
Aug 3, 2010
Upstate NY
The fact of the matter is that the vast majority of major retailers (IE those who are the target) have infrastructure in place to scan QR codes.

On the flip side the vast majority DOES NOT have infrastructure to accept NFC payments.

So, Apple could go the route that has nearly 100% market penetration in their target markets or deploy technology that 99% of its user base has no use for because its not being used.

Hrm. Tough decision.

Until there is a STANDARD in place regarding NFC payments, Apple isn't going to touch it.

This just doesn't make sense to me. In order for retailers to start installing these readers there has to be something to be read, it would be foolish to install readers when nobody can use them.

On the flip side phone makers can use then even if retailers don't have them installed (IE what the S3 currently does with promotional things and talking between devices). Clearly the phones have to come first in order to retailers to see any benefit of putting them in.

MattInOz

macrumors 68030
Jan 19, 2006
Sydney
This just doesn't make sense to me. In order for retailers to start installing these readers there has to be something to be read, it would be foolish to install readers when nobody can use them.

On the flip side phone makers can use then even if retailers don't have them installed (IE what the S3 currently does with promotional things and talking between devices). Clearly the phones have to come first in order to retailers to see any benefit of putting them in.

What's more Apple build it into their devices then sell those to retailers. They can create both use and user at the same time.

ThisIsNotMe

Suspended
Aug 11, 2008

With Apple's solution they don't need any new hardware at all.......

acarney

macrumors 6502
Jul 3, 2007
I just really hope this takes off pretty quick. I'm very excited to add membership cards and purchases to passbook but i REALLY hope it's not a big city thing where there are only select locations that use it.

I would LOVE for passbook to gain support in the movie theatre industry very quickly. Hope on to fandango, or even just the movie theaters own site and purchase a ticket and then completely bypass the box office all together and just get to the guy that takes your ticket and tells you which hallway the theater is located in would ROCK. I had a chance to use the new fandango mobile payment which basically works this way and it's so enjoyable and takes about 30 secs to go from car to sitting down. The problem is, that seems to have a pretty slow adoption rate, especially outside big cities. I would LOVE if it took off because of Apple. I would LOVE if theaters could offer this without fandango and not charge a service fee since theoretically this would save money from having to print tickets and staff the box office as much during busy times.

JesalTV

Aug 24, 2012
London
If the AppleInsider article is to be believed - and I think it generally makes sense - then that is pretty ingenious by Apple.

Most of us are creatures of habit. We will only use PassBook for certain things - i.e. Starbucks, Subway, travel etc etc.

I wouldn't use NFC to buy £100 worth of clothes anytime soon - I trust my wallet, cash and Chip-n-PIN much more than a phone with NFC.

I wouldn't even use my Credit Card that has NFC - in fact, I HAD one, but MasterCard RECALLED them and said it was a failed experiment!

This makes great sense. It's like an upgrade to me getting points on my SubCard iPhone app.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.