Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ckeck

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 29, 2005
Texas
Hey everyone, I just got in my Dell 24" LCD and its beautiful...better than expected. Just a quick question though:

I use LCD's at work and such everyday but I have never owned one...I always gamed too much and they just weren't too good a few years back, but they are obviously better now...

Problem is (its hooked up to my Windows XP machine, ATI Radeon video) I can see the lines refreshing the screen and I can't get them to stop...its more obvious in certain programs...

What do I need to do? I have the latest video card drivers from ATI and it is set at the optimal resolution...

Thanks for the help!

**My PB should arrive tomorrow!!**

Capt Underpants

macrumors 68030
Jul 23, 2003
Austin, Texas
That's very weird that you can see lines refreshing, as LCD's don't really "refresh" as CRT's do. Check the refresh rate in your display properties and make sure it's 60 Hz. Have you installed the software that came with the LCD?

ckeck

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 29, 2005
Texas
Capt Underpants said:
That's very weird that you can see lines refreshing, as LCD's don't really "refresh" as CRT's do. Check the refresh rate in your display properties and make sure it's 60 Hz. Have you installed the software that came with the LCD?

That helped a little, but the text/screen is still a bit jumpy...

The Dell CD just said to download the latest video card drivers and set it to the optimal resolution...didn't have any monitor drivers on the CD...

Hope I can get this fixed :confused:

matticus008

macrumors 68040
Jan 16, 2005
Bay Area, CA
Do you have the display connected using VGA? This is definitely NOT the way to go with such a large display. With that much signal going over the cable, you're bound to get pretty bad image quality.

ckeck

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 29, 2005
Texas
matticus008 said:
Do you have the display connected using VGA? This is definitely NOT the way to go with such a large display. With that much signal going over the cable, you're bound to get pretty bad image quality.

Yeah, let me try the DVI connection and see what happens...

My goal was to be able to have my Windows computer connected through VGA and my PB to be connected through DVI once I get it so I wouldn't have to switch cables all the time...

matticus008

macrumors 68040
Jan 16, 2005
Bay Area, CA
ckeck said:
Yeah, let me try the DVI connection and see what happens...

My goal was to be able to have my Windows computer connected through VGA and my PB to be connected through DVI once I get it so I wouldn't have to switch cables all the time...

Well, it depends which one you'd be using most often. The PowerBook will come with a DVI -> VGA adapter. If you won't be using the PB as much, you'll want the better connection on your PC. You can always use the PIP on that giant monitor if the quality suffers. Maybe your PowerBook's video card will be more capable of holding a steady picture over VGA and that will work out for you.

ckeck

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 29, 2005
Texas
Ok, just hooked it up via DVI and its much better...thanks for the tip...

I will only be hooking up the PB to this monitor every once and a while, so I guess I will use VGA for that...

Get this...

I ordered a DVI-DVI cable from Apple with my PB and I just tried to hook it up using that cable...the package was already opened when I got it which raised a red flag, and when I tried to plug it in to the DVI connection on my computer and monitor it didn't fit either...whats up with that? And why the hell is Apple sending open products?? That makes me kind of mad...will be sending that back for sure...

matticus008

macrumors 68040
Jan 16, 2005
Bay Area, CA
ckeck said:
Ok, just hooked it up via DVI and its much better...thanks for the tip...

I will only be hooking up the PB to this monitor every once and a while, so I guess I will use VGA for that...

Get this...

I ordered a DVI-DVI cable from Apple with my PB and I just tried to hook it up using that cable...the package was already opened when I got it which raised a red flag, and when I tried to plug it in to the DVI connection on my computer and monitor it didn't fit either...whats up with that? And why the hell is Apple sending open products?? That makes me kind of mad...will be sending that back for sure...

That's strange. Your monitor came with a DVI cable though, so there was no need to order another one. At any rate, it definitely should have fit into the connector unless it was damaged in shipping. I would suspect the shipper, not Apple.

ckeck

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 29, 2005
Texas
matticus008 said:
That's strange. Your monitor came with a DVI cable though, so there was no need to order another one. At any rate, it definitely should have fit into the connector unless it was damaged in shipping. I would suspect the shipper, not Apple.

Well, the actual package the cable was in was opened...and the metal connections are hard to bend out of place...

Can't blame the shipper, the box was in perfect shape as well as my iSight camera and a few other things in the box :confused:

Oh well, will just send it back and get a refund...didn't know if I would need an extra, thats why I got it.

matticus008

macrumors 68040
Jan 16, 2005
Bay Area, CA
ckeck said:
Well, the actual package the cable was in was opened...and the metal connections are hard to bend out of place...

Can't blame the shipper, the box was in perfect shape as well as my iSight camera and a few other things in the box :confused:

Oh well, will just send it back and get a refund...didn't know if I would need an extra, thats why I got it.

That is really very strange. A broken, open DVI cable? Good thing you're returning it!

wako

macrumors 65816
Jun 6, 2005
ckeck... I definately would highly recommend you to call Dell about this problem. That definately is NOT suppose to happen, and I wouldnt settle for it even though it doesnt happen anymore when you switch. Just call Dell tommorow and tell them whats up. You will be asked to do some stupid stuff but after a good 5 minutes of doing their stupid instructions they'll send you a replacement.

Don't settle for something that is obviously defective, you just freakin paid 800 bucks for something that should have worked flawlessly!

Poeben

macrumors 6502
Jul 29, 2004
I have my G4 running VGA to the 2405 and it works flawlessly at native resolution. The colors are not as good as on DVI, but absolutely no refresh or line issues. Definitely call Dell.

ckeck

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 29, 2005
Texas
Poeben said:
I have my G4 running VGA to the 2405 and it works flawlessly at native resolution. The colors are not as good as on DVI, but absolutely no refresh or line issues. Definitely call Dell.

Will do...gonna test it with the VGA from the PB when I get it tomorrow...

If it doesn't happen with the PB on VGA it might just be my video card, but doubtful...

ckeck

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 29, 2005
Texas
One other question...hope someone might know...

I have a 21" Dell/Sony CRT which I bought refurb a long time ago...the color has NEVER looked good...white is not white, its grey, black is pretty "light"...

It just might be some settings, does anyone have any idea? Or is there a program I could use to calibrate it some, just to see? Using it on my secondary comps, doesn't bother me that much, but if it can be fixed I definately want to know how...

Thanks!

ckeck

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 29, 2005
Texas
Another question:

The problem I was having connecting my PC through VGA is happening on my PB as well...

But it did not happen right away. The pictuer/screen was pretty crisp and clear when I first hooked up the PB, but after about 10-15 minutes the text started getting fuzzy and "jumpy". Hard to describe...whats the deal?

DVI = no problems on PC or PB

advocate

macrumors regular
Jan 16, 2004
LCD screens with VGA input have a digitizer inside that converts the analogue VGA signal to the digital signal used to drive the flat panel. If the digitizer is out of sync with the signal then the picture will look fuzzy or jump around. Look for auto-adjustment or auto-alignment or auto-synchronize in your monitor OCD menu and hit it. That should clear up the picture. DVI is the way to go (why bother converting A/D then back D/A?) but you should still get a great picture with VGA.

ckeck

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 29, 2005
Texas
advocate said:
LCD screens with VGA input have a digitizer inside that converts the analogue VGA signal to the digital signal used to drive the flat panel. If the digitizer is out of sync with the signal then the picture will look fuzzy or jump around. Look for auto-adjustment or auto-alignment or auto-synchronize in your monitor OCD menu and hit it. That should clear up the picture. DVI is the way to go (why bother converting A/D then back D/A?) but you should still get a great picture with VGA.

Thanks, I will try that as soon as I get home tonight...

The reason I am not using DVI alone is because I didn't want to have to swap cables everytime I want my PB on the screen. My Windows desktop is hooked up via DVI because I will use it 90% of the time on this monitor...then I can just switch to VGA without changing any cables when I want my PB screen on the big monitor...

iEdd

macrumors 68000
Aug 8, 2005
What is the real difference between the monitor interfaces:
I know DVI is digital and better than VGA... Also with the ability to transfer ports and power through it.

Is ADC pretty much the same as DVI, just a physically different connector?
That's what my 17" monitor is..

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.