PDA

View Full Version : U.S. Copyright Office: is it okay if our new website only wo...

MacBytes
Aug 11, 2005, 09:46 PM
http://www.macbytes.com/images/bytessig.gif (http://www.macbytes.com)

Category: Microsoft
Link: U.S. Copyright Office: is it okay if our new website only works with Internet Explorer? (http://www.macbytes.com/link.php?sid=20050811214608)

Posted on MacBytes.com (http://www.macbytes.com)
Approved by Mudbug

ppc_michael
Aug 11, 2005, 10:47 PM
Honestly. It's not that hard to get things to work with all browsers. I even did it, and I'm an idiotic 19-year-old wanker.

zap2
Aug 11, 2005, 11:05 PM
i think iy should be allowed but people schold but some time well if you have to use it there is an IE for mac amd Windows but what about Linux? I think firwfox should become built in web broswer on Windows Vista and 10.5 then that would make it easier

Stella
Aug 11, 2005, 11:30 PM
There are very few reasons why sites need to be IE only. Its just laziness / poor developers / business requirements / ignorance.

One word: W3C.

Yes, browsers don't conform correctly - HOWEVER, it is easier to make sites work on all browsers, except IE - due to its bugs in HTML rendering, javascript ( err, microsoft, its Javascript NOT jscript ) and CSS.

There is absolutely no need for IE specific features such as:
* ActiveX
* microsoft extensions to javascript ( document.all - which is non standard ),
* microsoft extensions to html.

If you are using these technologies, your site is poorly designed.

IE an extremely poor browser and frustrating to develop websites with - things that work in Safari, Firefox just fall apart in IE, particularly CSS.

IE is a serious security hole.

i think iy should be allowed but people schold but some time well if you have to use it there is an IE for mac amd Windows but what about Linux? I think firwfox should become built in web broswer on Windows Vista and 10.5 then that would make it easier

I have a hard time in reading your comment, but Firefox will never be the default browser for Windows. Never.

There is never an excuse for IE only sites ( general sites that do not integrate into windows ). The internet is not extension of Windows.

Whyren
Aug 11, 2005, 11:33 PM
Honestly. It's not that hard to get things to work with all browsers. I even did it, and I'm an idiotic 19-year-old wanker.

True, but there are some situations of incompatibility that are ridiculous. I've had some pages I've tested load perfectly fine in over 20 browsers (yes, some are of the rarely used type), but still not work in Internet Explorer for PC. Only one other browser I tried generates pages erroneously in the same way as IE for PC...Netscape 4.

IE is the one browser I find consistently saying "Yeah, I know that the page is specified this way, but here's what I think it should look like."

nagromme
Aug 11, 2005, 11:34 PM
"in order for any taxpayers to object, the U.S. Copyright Office is so antiquated that they require original comments and five copies should be mailed..."

Nice.

And I'm sure this proposal was on display in the bottom of a locked filing cabinet stuck in a disused lavatory with a sign on the door saying "Beware of the Leopard."

OhEsTen
Aug 11, 2005, 11:37 PM

Don't put yourself down like that. We all were 19-year old wankers once.

But this story is really typical with a governement that favors obscenely big-business/monopoly's where mega-corps like microsoft, wallmart, verizon and halliburton dominate us to death.

saurus
Aug 11, 2005, 11:57 PM
Read this article earlier and I just have to wonder who's really implementing this. Siebel CRM is meant to be used internally, complete with security, et al. It's not a software package that just anyone could easily use without training, so why would you expose that to the outside world? Would the Copyright office really leave a portal open to just anyone to screw up their CRM software? I would seriously doubt it.

So whats wrong with the Copyright office just implementing a basic java webpage where submissions can be sent to them? This way they could potentially add the data to a database. That data could in turn be added to the CRM system quite easily...

Sounds like they dropped the ball, and their current out of date Siebel version seemed like a good excuse for the timebeing.

iMeowbot
Aug 11, 2005, 11:59 PM
This is very, very, very unlikely to affect many people.

Unless you are in the middle of producing one of:

Motion picture subject to theatrical distribution contract with an
established distributor of motion pictures;
Sound recording subject to contract for distribution of physical
phonorecords with an established distributor of phonorecords; or
Nondramatic musical composition performed in sound recording subject
to contract for distribution of physical phonorecords with an
established distributor of phonorecords
you will not be using this process, no matter what software it requires.

Preregistration is for established businesses, not independent artists. They've all got Windows anyway.

Iroganai
Aug 12, 2005, 12:00 AM
As a recent non-imigrant visa applicant,
I'd like to point out that the US embassy at Japan has its
webpage already IE only...

http://japan.usembassy.gov/

The menus in the left hand side doesn't work in either Safari or Firefox :mad:

xsedrinam
Aug 12, 2005, 12:06 AM
"in order for any taxpayers to object, the U.S. Copyright Office is so antiquated that they require original comments and five copies should be mailed..."

Nice.

And I'm sure this proposal was on display in the bottom of a locked filing cabinet stuck in a disused lavatory with a sign on the door saying "Beware of the Leopard."
All I know is that I clicked on the link on the main page to respond, and it disappeared. If I thought it was a bigger deal, I'd pursue it, but it probably won't make a bit of difference.
X

zap2
Aug 12, 2005, 12:32 AM
no firefox will never be he main browser for OSX and Windows Vista but it would be a good idea

GodBless
Aug 12, 2005, 08:04 AM
I hope this article is a joke.

cwtnospam
Aug 12, 2005, 08:08 AM

Nice.

They're accepting faxes: (202) 707-8366
I also called to complain: (202) 707-8380

The woman who answered said they had received many complaints and were considering changing the policy but needed to hear from more people in writing.

To any who do decide to write, please try to ensure that your spelling, grammar, and punctuation are correct. It is the Copyright Office after all, so poorly written arguments are likely to carry little weight. For the same reason, please try to be polite and refrain from using obscenities, no matter how awful you think their plan is. ;)

mkaake
Aug 12, 2005, 08:21 AM
I hope this article is a joke.

kind of hard to fake this:

http://www.copyright.gov/fedreg/2005/70fr44878.html

rjwill246
Aug 12, 2005, 10:24 AM
I have printed four articles from the 'related' list and sent them off to the fax number that was posted. It is incredible that while our govenment talks about security it has made itself so vulnerable in its Internet communications. I am not sure if it is 'incredible' or 'typical.' Either way, it makes the government agencies who have opened themselves up like this look, well, idiotic!

Thanks for the phone/fax numbers. A deluge, ladies and gentlemen???

GodBless
Aug 12, 2005, 10:57 AM
kind of hard to fake this:

http://www.copyright.gov/fedreg/2005/70fr44878.htmlThat is just terrible. I hope Safari is supported after all and this outrageous problem is resolved.

Kagetenshi
Aug 13, 2005, 03:02 AM
I think firwfox should become built in web broswer on Windows Vista and 10.5 then that would make it easier
There is absolutely no excuse for this. The browser should be irrelevant, not uniform. This would easily be grounds for boycotting Firefox.

~J