Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dreamsound

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 30, 2011
Their new company website is almost done and the owner isn't falling in love with any of our alternative logo options.

There seems to be a familiarity bias - he says he wants a new logo but he always picks his old logo over various alternatives we've presented. The old logo strikes me as having design issues that make it objectively bad, so I'm not sure how to proceed. His feedback has been limited to: "I don't hate it but I don't love it." How do you handle client situations like this?

Does anyone have suggestions for how to improve any of these options, or a different approach altogether? Should I take a poll here or somewhere else? Thanks in advance!

(Old logo issues - top image: Weak font, name is actually one word not two, middle arm of "E" is shifted oddly upward - looks too playful, elongated shadow beneath symbol looks unprofessional, symbol itself is too rounded and unfocused - supposed to be a stylized "IT" but just looks like a strange arrow.)

Attachments

• Five Logos 2.png
    Five Logos 2.png
    85.4 KB · Views: 174

ezekielrage_99

macrumors 68040
Oct 12, 2005
The logos aren't bad, though I can see where the owner isn't really falling in love with the concepts.

IMHO the issue being all logotypes rely heavily upon effects and there's a lot of repetition within the logo itself, this for logo design is a "no no". Also with the iconography they need to convey meaning, I can't see it.

Since the concept seems to be an evolution rather than revolution I'd suggest checking out Brand New because they do seem to display some great ideas and importantly the process.

For the record I was involved with a company wide rebrand a few years ago, all up we designed over 150 logotype variations before coming up with one that just "felt like the business". Good design takes time and take a lot of refining, my best advice if you've hit the wall get out and see an art gallery or two it will help the ideation process and you'll find that gem.

jameskachan

macrumors member
Aug 16, 2008
Toronto, Canada
Humm

I like the logo type of the second and third options.
Though. I think you have too many flourishes.

I think the name alone works best. I'd opt to entirely kill the symbol.
and if you do need to keep the symbol remove all (or heavily reduce) the glowy ****. it's just too much and unneeded. Furthermore the symbol doesnt have enough contrast as is.

I would do the nice lowercase logo, but spell the "net" part of it in all (solid) blue

ALSO, I think the by byline below can be removed, or adjusted. the font doesnt match well right now, and that dark blue in IT doesn't match the other blue.. id probably do it in grey, with the IT in bold, slightly larger black

I think you're on to something here, it's just a bit overdone

Attachments

• DATANET.jpg
    DATANET.jpg
    11.3 KB · Views: 79

tech4all

macrumors 68040
Jun 13, 2004
NorCal
Giving you feedback on the logos is difficult without knowing what the logo is supposed to represent. If you can tell us that, we can help better.

First and foremost, get rid of the special effects, unless this is the web/screen version and you have a print/regular version.

citizenzen

macrumors 68000
Mar 22, 2010
The problem, IMO, is the typeface looks to 'data-ey' ... like the company is a robot from a 1970's sic-fi movie. I'd choose a typeface that is first beautiful and hints at technology, but doesn't bash one over the head with it.

Dolorian

macrumors 65816
Apr 25, 2007
IMHO the issue being all logotypes rely heavily upon effects and there's a lot of repetition within the logo itself, this for logo design is a "no no".

I concur, too many effects, it ends up being detracting for the logo. With all the effects it has, the icon on the left doesn't plays well with the company name, as a result the logo feels a bit disjointed, with the elements not meshing together to form a single "solid" unit.

dreamsound

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 30, 2011
Thanks everyone for your replies - this feedback is very helpful.

This is for an IT and professional services company. The stylized "E" was meant to communicate technology and imitate the database icon/symbol ("DATA"). The last "t" in the lower examples was meant to symbolize a stylized person, to represent the skilled network of technical resources - a "NET"work of people within the company that do the actual consulting and longer term technical placements (they do staffing too).

Too clever? Not clever enough? Thanks again for sharing your opinions, experience and insight.

fig

macrumors 6502a
Jun 13, 2012
Austin, TX
Thanks everyone for your replies - this feedback is very helpful.

This is for an IT and professional services company. The stylized "E" was meant to communicate technology and imitate the database icon/symbol ("DATA"). The last "t" in the lower examples was meant to symbolize a stylized person, to represent the skilled network of technical resources - a "NET"work of people within the company that do the actual consulting and longer term technical placements (they do staffing too).

Too clever? Not clever enough? Thanks again for sharing your opinions, experience and insight.

I don't think it's necessarily too clever or not clever enough, it's just not enough. I'm seeing one idea here fleshed out, I wonder if you're hung up on this concept and haven't really explored other directions.

d0vr

macrumors 6502a
Feb 24, 2011
Either I've lost my mind, or the 'brand new' logos from that website aren't really that great. I'm liking the NZ Antartic Research Institute logo (clever use of an iceburg), but the rest seem weak to me. Anyway, I digress.

Regarding the logos of the OP, I too can see why the client isn't falling in love. As mentioned, repetition is a problem. Assuming the 3 lines of the E and in the icon are supposed to be a RAID stack or something similar, that is 'clever' enough, but common. Also, don't double up with exactly the same graphic in both the typed logo and the icon unless they are intended to not appear seperately - in which case show some branding samples perhaps?

As mentioned, ditch the colors and effects for now, it seems very amaturish. When showing a client concepts, show them two or so different concepts (as in not the same concept over and over in different colors/fonts) in black and white. If you have other concepts, I'd be interested to see them.

You're right that there are problems with the original logo, but there are some pretty major flaws in yours atm as well, so if I was the client I would be wanting to keep my old one as well. Without knowing anything about the client, if they are looking for a corporate image, or work in B2B, I'd suggest go with a typeface logo and an icon seperately.

Just my 3c, hope it helps (please take as constructive critsim, as it was intended).

----------

I don't think it's necessarily too clever or not clever enough, it's just not enough. I'm seeing one idea here fleshed out, I wonder if you're hung up on this concept and haven't really explored other directions.

This is what I was getting at regarding showing the same concept over and over. Sorry I missed that it was already said. Maybe start from scratch with a blank piece of paper and slap your hand if you draw three lines for the E and call it a logo? (Just until you have more concepts though, if at the end of it, everyone likes it and thinks it is the best image for the company, go with it)

nfable

macrumors regular
Apr 9, 2007
I like the tagline on your top new one the best - it is the most distinguishable font.

I like your co. name on your third take as you say it's one word, not two.

I like the 'E' stylization, speaks 'data' - but lose effects, just blue.

Appeal to client by trying updating the existing symbol - break it out of the 90's 'lickable' style, no effects, within a rectangle / square the same blue as your 'e', make same height or slightly more than the 'd'

lose the stylization on the 'T' - is its natural height congruent w/height on 'd'?

Use this in your future work agreeing upon a set number of logo redrafts (if client has no sketch to work from - as usual) before additional costs will be incurred.

Don't shoot him, it's bad for business.

gl,
nf

definitive

macrumors 68020
Aug 4, 2008
i think the logo would look good if the icon on the left was just one color (blue as on the old logo), without any gradients or shadows, and the text to the right was in lower case semi-bold garamond. the dashes in the icons could also be something like small, wider, small (see below) centered:

-
--
-

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.