PDA

View Full Version : question about a cinematography aeshtetic...

krossfyter
Aug 12, 2005, 02:29 AM
okay... im not sure what this aeshetic is called in the videography or cinematography world or how its done... but im curious.

im talking about a painting type of deal here. i think it was first done on a grandscale in the movie called smallville and the recent movie called sin city.

a part of the scene... is black and white.. high contrast or whatever... and a few elements are painted with color... i think you understand what im talking about having mentioned sin city.

i can do this in photoshop easy so as a graphic artist (2d world) i know how this is done and whats going on. however when we get into live motion... im not too adept in it at the moment. so could any of you live motion 3d guys help me understand whats going on here and how this is done... what program etc... high learning curve or what does it take?

i think i understand it to be a pretty advanced effect in the live motion world.... is this what they call rotoscoping?

im assuming one needs maya to do this or can you do it with programs?

please bare with me as im a 2d artist.

Lacero
Aug 12, 2005, 02:50 AM
What program are you editing with?

Final Cut Pro, After Effects, Premiere Pro can do this fairly easily.

Kingsnapped
Aug 12, 2005, 03:11 AM
http://www.lafcpug.org/tutorials/basic_pleasantville_look.html

gangst
Aug 12, 2005, 08:00 AM
Yeah, that effect is really good. It's also in Sin City

Mr. Anderson
Aug 12, 2005, 08:15 AM
http://www.lafcpug.org/tutorials/basic_pleasantville_look.html

Nice! Thanks for the link and site - they're excellent and I'm going to have to try it out sometime soon :D

D

LethalWolfe
Aug 12, 2005, 08:35 AM
Rather simple effect, but it can be a nightmare if things are not done properly for it in production.

Yeah, that effect is really good. It's also in Sin City

I don't think Pleasentville and Sin City are quite an apples-to-apples comparison because so much much of Sine City was blue screen and CG.

Lethal

gangst
Aug 12, 2005, 08:40 AM
Rather simple effect, but it can be a nightmare if things are not done properly for it in production.

I don't think Pleasentville and Sin City are quite an apples-to-apples comparison because so much much of Sine City was blue screen and CG.

Lethal

Yeah. I agree it was just that Sin City stuck out so much for that effect and I really thought it looked great and brought interest to certain parts of scenes.

krossfyter
Aug 12, 2005, 10:45 AM
awsome... thnx guys!

so this effect is called "the pleasentville effect" in your circles or is it also known by another name?

if i were to use after effects and or vegas how would i do this?

can i only accomplish this effect with FCP?

krossfyter
Aug 12, 2005, 12:37 PM
what im basically looking into (and this is partly why im asking the questions im asking) is i need to create a documentary of me as a painter/artist... my lifestyle and such why i paint what i paint.... think what i think etc. etc. Probably just 10 minutes. The above aesthetic (pleasentville effect or whatever its called) is part of the vision i have with the way i want my documentary to look. Certain images colored and... "normal".... others simply just black and white. I did a photo image of the way I would look... generally speaking...

http://myspace-244.vo.llnwd.net/00174/44/26/174966244_m.jpg

other images i want colored or normal are my paintings... my art.

could this be done and if so what program? will vegas give me this? or do i need something else?

LethalWolfe
Aug 12, 2005, 03:16 PM
awsome... thnx guys!

so this effect is called "the pleasentville effect" in your circles or is it also known by another name?

if i were to use after effects and or vegas how would i do this?

can i only accomplish this effect with FCP?

I'm pretty sure any program that has secondary color correction abilities (the ability to isolate and effect specific colors as opposed to the whole image) can do this. So you could do it in AE, but I'm not very familiar w/Vegas.

And, yes, "pleasentville effect" is kinda the slang term for it in the video/film world (at least in the US).

Lethal

krossfyter
Aug 12, 2005, 03:34 PM
I'm pretty sure any program that has secondary color correction abilities (the ability to isolate and effect specific colors as opposed to the whole image) can do this. So you could do it in AE, but I'm not very familiar w/Vegas.

And, yes, "pleasentville effect" is kinda the slang term for it in the video/film world (at least in the US).

Lethal

cool deal man... thnx. do you know of a tutorial online that shows one how to accomplish this effect on AE?

Sharewaredemon
Nov 27, 2005, 06:28 PM
http://www.toolfarm.com/tutorials/sincity.html

That's how you do it in after effects.