Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

gldubzakjr

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 13, 2010
Pinckney, Michigan
Okay, I've got a mid-2010 15' MacBook Pro that was running 10.6 Snow Leopard, then 10.7 Lion, and I've recently upgraded with a clean install as always to 10.8 Mountain Lion. My camera was working flawlessly under 10.7; however, since the release of the new 10.8 and now more recently, the 10.8.1 OS; my iSight/Facetime camera no longer function.

During the initial install, it worked long enough for it to take my login photo; but now it's gone and I can't seem to find any support for this issue...

I've read numerous posts in which resetting the the SMC and PRAM was suggested; I did both, with negative results.

The system profiler no longer shows the camera; however, it reports all hardware as functional with no problems what-so-ever.

I through another hard drive in, reinstalled the OS and the update, the camera was there and functional until about a day later, and then it disappeared once again. So I reinstalled 10.7 Lion, and the camera has been there since.

Anyone else experiencing weird issues like this? Funny, I have a feeling that Apple isn't going to be the same without Jobs at the helm... I hope it's not a sign of things to come.

Anyway, please share your comments, suggestions, etc. I'm going to put back in the SSD with 10.8.1 on it and play around some more; but needless to say I'm a little pissed off; especially since I had to buy some new software as well (Parallels)...

Thanks in advance!

:confused::confused::confused: Jerry :confused::confused::confused:

aleni

macrumors 68030
Jun 2, 2006
happened to me once. the opened photobooth and it said there is no connected camera.

i restarted the macbook air and it's working again.

gldubzakjr

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 13, 2010
Pinckney, Michigan
Okay, well here's the deal and I must say that I am very, VERY pissed off at the supposed "geniuses" at the Apple Store in Ann Arbor, Michigan...

My MacBook Pro went in to have the keyboard replaced back in the early part of August. The replaced the entire top bezel because of the Apple design of the keyboard. Mind you, prior to taking my MacBook Pro into the Apple Store for service under AppleCare, there wasn't a single thing wrong with it...

I received the MacBook Pro back about a week later, just when the new OS was released. To my own demise, I assumed that everything was, or at least should have been working correctly; so I went ahead and installed the new OS. About a week later, I went to use the FaceTime camera and there it was; not working, not found in the OS, etc. In searching the web, I found several people who were having a similar issue under 10.8.1, so rolled back to 10.7 and magically the camera was working; however, it was later found to be intermittent at best.

Well, I went back to the Apple Store yesterday only to find out that they, whom ever replaced the keyboard, damaged the logic board and the ribbon cable from the LCD display housing. Yes, it will be covered under AppleCare, at a cost of $920 give or take and about a week or two in the shop; but why should I have to suffer because of a ill-trained, under-qualified technician?

Now I'll have essentially a used MacBook Pro, with refurbished parts in it when I had my brand new one, fully functional, aside from the keycaps that kept falling off. Should I be concerned about this?

I feel as if Apple should now replace my MacBook Pro with a new one given the circumstances. Anyone have any comments or suggestions to this?

brbubba

macrumors 6502
May 20, 2006
Okay, well here's the deal and I must say that I am very, VERY pissed off at the supposed "geniuses" at the Apple Store in Ann Arbor, Michigan...

My MacBook Pro went in to have the keyboard replaced back in the early part of August. The replaced the entire top bezel because of the Apple design of the keyboard. Mind you, prior to taking my MacBook Pro into the Apple Store for service under AppleCare, there wasn't a single thing wrong with it...

I received the MacBook Pro back about a week later, just when the new OS was released. To my own demise, I assumed that everything was, or at least should have been working correctly; so I went ahead and installed the new OS. About a week later, I went to use the FaceTime camera and there it was; not working, not found in the OS, etc. In searching the web, I found several people who were having a similar issue under 10.8.1, so rolled back to 10.7 and magically the camera was working; however, it was later found to be intermittent at best.

Well, I went back to the Apple Store yesterday only to find out that they, whom ever replaced the keyboard, damaged the logic board and the ribbon cable from the LCD display housing. Yes, it will be covered under AppleCare, at a cost of $920 give or take and about a week or two in the shop; but why should I have to suffer because of a ill-trained, under-qualified technician?

Now I'll have essentially a used MacBook Pro, with refurbished parts in it when I had my brand new one, fully functional, aside from the keycaps that kept falling off. Should I be concerned about this?

I feel as if Apple should now replace my MacBook Pro with a new one given the circumstances. Anyone have any comments or suggestions to this?

You're nuts. Your system is probably in better condition than it was previously. So did you or did you not pay the $920? If you didn't pay the money, i.e., it was covered under warranty then there is no loss to you. Your laptop was not new coming into the store, so no harm no foul. Also it's unlikely that parts made for your laptop are still in mass production, so they may not have a choice in trying to use refurb parts.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.