Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

saintforlife

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 25, 2011
...now that you know what the iPhone 5 looks like? Seems like a good time to take a 2 year break from the iPhone seeing as how the iPhone 5 isn't bringing anything ground breaking to the table. Note that 4" screen, LTE are the norm these days, so no, they don't count as upgrades; Apple is playing catch-up here.

Nokia seems to have many things going for it - it has the best mapping solution for the smart phone platform (you can download offline maps for 110 countries) their hardware is top notch, the Lumia 920 will be the first flagship smartphone to come with wireless charging, will have a 8MP 'Pureview' camera etc.

Windows Phone 8 seems pretty compelling right now.

nokia-lumia-920-wireless-charging.jpg

nokia-lumia-920-and-820-headset.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

saintforlife

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 25, 2011
Couldn't you had at least waited until apple announced the next iPhone before posting this?

Umm...why? The Nokia Lumia 920 is coming out tomorrow. And it is not like people don't already know what the iPhone 5 looks like and what it has to offer.

Last edited:

617aircav

Suspended
Jul 2, 2012
Op it seems to me that you are attracted to anything shiny. You probably just buy phones for the looks only.

M87

macrumors 65816
Jul 18, 2009
Intriguing hardware, but I hate Windows and have no interest in venturing into that ecosystem.

austinguy23

macrumors 6502a
Oct 8, 2008
What does it have to offer then? Maybe I can hear the facts from you instead of waiting until next week from apple.

Have you been asleep for the past month? Everything is leaked...just like last year with the 4S. Go to any tech blog, including this one, and read all about it.

Sedrick

macrumors 68030
Nov 10, 2010
Don't think I'd get yellow or red, but the 920 looks like a damn nice phone and 4.5" is a big bonus. W8 looks to be very promising as well. Keeping a close eye on this one.

Big.Mac.Daddy

macrumors 6502a
Jun 5, 2012
I hate the sharp corners on the 920 (yellow), I wish they used the 820 (red) curved body design instead with the 920 internals :(

Last edited:

CallOfDuty

macrumors 6502
Jun 23, 2012
...now that you know what the iPhone 5 looks like? Seems like a good time to take a 2 year break from the iPhone seeing as how the iPhone 5 isn't bringing anything ground breaking to the table. Note that 4" screen, LTE are the norm these days, so no, they don't count as upgrades; Apple is playing catch-up here.

Nokia seems to have many things going for it - it has the best mapping solution for the smart phone platform (you can download offline maps for 110 countries) their hardware is top notch, the Lumia 920 will be the first flagship smartphone to come with wireless charging, will have a 8MP 'Pureview' camera etc.

Then buy it. If its compelling, buy it. If the iPhone 5 doesn't tug at your heartstrings, go for an alternative that does. When buying a phone, i always make sure that I truly loved and liked the phone before buying it, not buying what others think it is.
I think iOS, Android and WP8 and even symbian are all great OSes if you know how to appreciate them. Most importantly, if one of the caters to your needs and wants, great, get it and enjoy.

austinguy23

macrumors 6502a
Oct 8, 2008

Apple has an awesome OS but they're afraid to significantly bump up the display size (sorry, the slightly taller iPhone 5's display is too modest) because it would fragment the platform for developers. So, the hardware will remain stagnant.

Android handsets have incredible hardware that far surpasses Apple's but the Android OS is clown vomit.

That leaves the upcoming revamp of Windows Mobile 8. I have little doubt it'll be a gorgeous OS. If that turns out to be the case, we're going to finally see the best of both worlds - an elegant OS matched with unrestrained hardware galore.

moosquared

macrumors regular
Nov 10, 2010
Perhaps I've been brainwashed by apple and their products, but none of the phones out there has a better design than iPhone. It may not has the biggest screen or spec, but design wise, it's really slick ;)

Of course that's just my opinion.

Jessica Lares

macrumors G3
Oct 31, 2009
Near Dallas, Texas, USA
Have you been asleep for the past month? Everything is leaked...just like last year with the 4S. Go to any tech blog, including this one, and read all about it.

Last year the leaks were so bad to the point that manufactures started making the case, only to find out that the design was 100% off. Unless it's said straight from Apple themselves, don't assume its fact.

Just because there's 20+ of these things supposedly out there, doesn't mean its the real deal. For all we know, these could all be prototypes.

wrkactjob

macrumors 65816
Feb 29, 2008
London
Umm...why? The Nokia Lumia 920 is coming out tomorrow. And it is not like people don't already know what the iPhone 5 looks like and what it has to offer.

Or today even? Not sure if the Helsinki show will run in Synch with the NYC one today, this could be make or break for Nokia, I think they are hoping W8 is going to be a winner for them.

The bright colours look fun though maybe a little Fisher Price toy set, hopefully there will be a boring but safe black model too.

Look forward to the show though, should be starting in about....oh now!

http://www.nokia.com/global/about-nokia/webcast/ live/

Last edited:

jojoba

macrumors 68000
Dec 9, 2011
No, not really - I'm pretty happy with android and have invested in quite a few apps there now.

ucfgrad93

macrumors Core
Aug 17, 2007
Colorado
While the hardware looks nice, I won't be trying it for a couple of reasons. First, I hate the Metro UI. Second, I am too heavily invested in the Apple ecosystem to give it up. I use mac computers, purchased iOS apps, etc.

onthecouchagain

macrumors 604
Mar 29, 2011
I could be wrong. Is the 920 made of polycarbonate plastic, like the Galaxy SIII? And isn't Windows extremely low in terms of number of apps? If Android's number of apps isn't enough compared to iOS', how can Window's marketplace be enough?

F123D

macrumors 68040
Sep 16, 2008
Del Mar, CA

Based on everything you read the past month, can you guarantee what features and hardware the new iPhone has then? List them.

aluren

macrumors 65816
Sep 9, 2008
I love the tile interface, it brings a fresh look for the UI where the smartphone market is dominated by rows of icons and widgets. But hardware wise I think nokia's got a long way to go. I may consider the 5th gen.

G51989

macrumors 68030
Feb 25, 2012
NYC NY/Pittsburgh PA
I will most likely pick one up once I get bored of my S3, the hardware looks great. ( Wireless charging and USB? FTW. ), And Windows Phone 8 looks pretty awesome as well.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.