Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

negro napoleon

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 19, 2011
I'm about to install a seagate momentus xt drive but I need some help. Should I clone first and then upgrade the OS or upgrade the OS then clone?

I'm running an early 2008 black macbook on OS 10.6.8.

I've been using the original 320 GB but since thats getting full, I'm running low on space and I'm about to install the Seagate Momentus XT 750 HDD/SSD.

I was wondering if it would be better if I cloned everything to the new drive first and then upgrade the OS once I dropped in the new drive into my laptop...

OR

...Should I take the new and blank harddrive and install the new OS on it, then copy stuff onto it?

OR

should I ...do something I haven't mentioned?

What would you all do and which process do you recommend?

skinniezinho

Suspended
Jan 1, 2009
Portugal
I'm about to install a seagate momentus xt drive but I need some help. Should I clone first and then upgrade the OS or upgrade the OS then clone?

I'm running an early 2008 black macbook on OS 10.6.8.

I've been using the original 320 GB but since thats getting full, I'm running low on space and I'm about to install the Seagate Momentus XT 750 HDD/SSD.

I was wondering if it would be better if I cloned everything to the new drive first and then upgrade the OS once I dropped in the new drive into my laptop...

OR

...Should I take the new and blank harddrive and install the new OS on it, then copy stuff onto it?

OR

should I ...do something I haven't mentioned?

What would you all do and which process do you recommend?

First, update the HDD firmware in a windows machine ^(bootcamp will do).
Then fresh install.Had a 500Gb one, nice drive after the firmware updates.

Bilalo

macrumors 6502
Aug 17, 2012
Oxford, England
Do I have to use a windows PC?

First make sure of the HD format, I made mine into Ex-Fat so it would be 100% compatible with both mac and windows but not on consoles. So if you only use macs format it to the MAC format and if both you either have to partition or make it into exfat.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.